Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Which pressing difficulty are you facing as a translator and which solution do you wish you had?
Thread poster: Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice
Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice
Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice
Cameroon
Local time: 09:05
French to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2022

Hello everyone.
I am doing a little study and I would like you'll answer to the questions below.
The purpose of the study is to bring innovative solutions to the translation industry.

1 - What is your pressing problem as a translator, or as a person in general?
2 - What are you doing to try to remedy to this?
3 - If you had a magic wand, what will you wish to have as a solution to this problem?
4 - Are you ready to pay for this solution? If yes how much
... See more
Hello everyone.
I am doing a little study and I would like you'll answer to the questions below.
The purpose of the study is to bring innovative solutions to the translation industry.

3 - If you had a magic wand, what will you wish to have as a solution to this problem?
4 - Are you ready to pay for this solution? If yes how much?

Thank you for helping me on this 😊
Collapse

Sadek_A
Tom in London

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Oct 21, 2022

Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice wrote:

Hello everyone.

Doesn't the magic wand run in contradiction with the "pay for solution"?

expressisverbis

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:05
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I find the questions too simplistic Oct 21, 2022

1. The pressing problems of the translation "industry" (technically speaking, an incorrect term) are many. The current state of play is exceedingly complex.

2. There is no single solution that offers a remedy for solving the problems of a translation "industry" that has grown in a warped manner, like a plant that has grown in a mis-shapen form, for at least three decades.

3. There are no "magic wand" solutions.

4. I do not think translators want to pay for
... See more
1. The pressing problems of the translation "industry" (technically speaking, an incorrect term) are many. The current state of play is exceedingly complex.

2. There is no single solution that offers a remedy for solving the problems of a translation "industry" that has grown in a warped manner, like a plant that has grown in a mis-shapen form, for at least three decades.

3. There are no "magic wand" solutions.

4. I do not think translators want to pay for anything else at this point. We are already paying too much, by way of business expenses, in relation to the present-day meagre earnings that can be achieved - by way of software bills of various kinds, for example, for various pieces of industry-related office software that cannot be dispensed with (including data privacy software) alone.
Collapse

writeaway
Jorge Payan
Miranda Drew
neilmac
Robert Forstag
Alison Jenner
Julio Carrero

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:05
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
fatigue Oct 21, 2022

Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice wrote:

Hello everyone.

1. Fatigue
2. Working less
3. I would have a money printing machine
4. EUR 1000 (I would pay more if I had)

Jorge Payan

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
No shortcuts Oct 21, 2022

1. My work is intellectually hard and makes me tired.
2. There is no way I could make it easier, so I don't do anything, just keep on working; the only remedy is a bit of luck when I come across a project on a topic I've previously worked on – and then the task becomes easy.
3. A magic wand would come in handy if it could make me as good at a higher paying job as I am at my current one: I don't have much time to study hard things I'd like to master (see item 1 above).
4. Such
... See more
1. My work is intellectually hard and makes me tired.
2. There is no way I could make it easier, so I don't do anything, just keep on working; the only remedy is a bit of luck when I come across a project on a topic I've previously worked on – and then the task becomes easy.
3. A magic wand would come in handy if it could make me as good at a higher paying job as I am at my current one: I don't have much time to study hard things I'd like to master (see item 1 above).
4. Such a wand does not exist, so no money to bid; I used to pay small amounts of money to Google for integrating their MT engine into my CAT tools, but that is currently not an option, and I haven't become any less productive, nor have my translations become any worse.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I have 99 problems, and this isn't really one, but... Oct 21, 2022

Convincing strangers of my brilliance

Very little

A ProZ run in the interests of serious translators rather than to maximise profits

... See more

Convincing strangers of my brilliance

Very little

A ProZ run in the interests of serious translators rather than to maximise profits

£500 a year
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Robert Forstag

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Politicians Oct 21, 2022

Is there any chance you could make a solution to relocate them all to Mars?

Adieu
Metin Demirel
Josephine Cassar
expressisverbis
Robert Rietvelt
Michael Newton
Thomas T. Frost

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Magic wand Oct 22, 2022

I’d love to have a magic wand that could miraculously turn the document I’m translating right now into a coherent, and thereby intelligible, text. That’s what happens quite often when the author believes he/she masters a foreign language. Rant over!

Emanuele Vacca

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
So tired Oct 22, 2022

I'm tired of translating. No, really. I'm so tired of it I think I'm gonna move to Australia or something.

[Edited at 2022-10-22 11:53 GMT]

Michael Newton
Adieu

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
PDFs Oct 22, 2022

1. People sending me PDFs and asking for a translation.
2. Still fantasising that it might be possible to do this in CafeTran by just dropping the PDF on to CafeTran.
3. See above.
4. Yes! I'll pay anything!

Adieu

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Pressing difficulty Oct 23, 2022

The difficulty facing people who live in New England (the Northeast part of the US) is the coming energy crisis. The US is no longer energy-independent and appeals to authoritarian regimes around the world for petroleum have fallen on deaf ears. Sun-drenched California is already experiencing rolling blackouts (thanks to their antiquated electric grid) and the state governments are preparing New Englanders for rolling blackouts. We have no idea when the blackouts will come and how long a blackou... See more
The difficulty facing people who live in New England (the Northeast part of the US) is the coming energy crisis. The US is no longer energy-independent and appeals to authoritarian regimes around the world for petroleum have fallen on deaf ears. Sun-drenched California is already experiencing rolling blackouts (thanks to their antiquated electric grid) and the state governments are preparing New Englanders for rolling blackouts. We have no idea when the blackouts will come and how long a blackout would last. New England has already used up 70 % of its emergency petroleum reserves. The US has already used up 60 % of its emergency petroleum reserves. The electric and heating companies are telling us to prepare for 40 to 60 % monthly increases in our electric and heating bills. When the lights go out, I can't translate and it will be difficult to make a living. However, we can live on savings. We have battery-operated CD players and DVD players so we won't lack for entertainment. Netflix and Amazon Prime will not be available. We are laying in supplies of candles and buying multiple flashlights. The official inflation rate of 8.3 % is false and is more on the order of 18 %. Food prices are increasing day by day and there are shortages of milk, eggs and other dairy products. There has been a year-long shortage of infant formula. When there is not enough petroleum, trucks can't deliver foodstuffs and....We are laying in supplies of non-perishable foods, coffee, tea, bottled water and soda and canned goods. Hopefully enough to get us through three or four months. The ransacking of supermarkets we see in cities like New York, SF and LA will most likely come to Boston. We consider ourselves fortunate as we have the foresight and the wherewithal to make it through a perilous winter. There are many others, elderly, homeless, people with limited incomes who won't. I'm not a doomsayer, just a realist. The political situation in the UK aside, things will be very tough for the British this winter and we wish them well. I hear people in Germany and Poland are gathering firewood to heat their homes.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sustainable future Oct 23, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

The difficulty facing people who live in New England (the Northeast part of the US) is the coming energy crisis. The US is no longer energy-independent and appeals to authoritarian regimes around the world for petroleum have fallen on deaf ears. Sun-drenched California is already experiencing rolling blackouts (thanks to their antiquated electric grid) and the state governments are preparing New Englanders for rolling blackouts. We have no idea when the blackouts will come and how long a blackout would last. New England has already used up 70 % of its emergency petroleum reserves. The US has already used up 60 % of its emergency petroleum reserves. The electric and heating companies are telling us to prepare for 40 to 60 % monthly increases in our electric and heating bills. When the lights go out, I can't translate and it will be difficult to make a living. However, we can live on savings. We have battery-operated CD players and DVD players so we won't lack for entertainment. Netflix and Amazon Prime will not be available. We are laying in supplies of candles and buying multiple flashlights. The official inflation rate of 8.3 % is false and is more on the order of 18 %. Food prices are increasing day by day and there are shortages of milk, eggs and other dairy products. There has been a year-long shortage of infant formula. When there is not enough petroleum, trucks can't deliver foodstuffs and....We are laying in supplies of non-perishable foods, coffee, tea, bottled water and soda and canned goods. Hopefully enough to get us through three or four months. The ransacking of supermarkets we see in cities like New York, SF and LA will most likely come to Boston. We consider ourselves fortunate as we have the foresight and the wherewithal to make it through a perilous winter. There are many others, elderly, homeless, people with limited incomes who won't. I'm not a doomsayer, just a realist. The political situation in the UK aside, things will be very tough for the British this winter and we wish them well. I hear people in Germany and Poland are gathering firewood to heat their homes.

Michael, things are changing, that's all. The Age of Fossil Fuels is coming to an end as we move to something better. You can be a part of this. Think about the children.

[Edited at 2022-10-23 07:59 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Deja vu all over again Oct 23, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:
The political situation in the UK aside, things will be very tough for the British this winter and we wish them well.

Really Michael, whatever is being reported in the catastrophist/declinist media, day-to-day life is going on pretty much as normal here in the UK. This isn't some post-apocalyptic movie. Yes, many of us are under more financial pressure and are being careful with energy and costs in general. No, we are not rampaging in violent mobs through burning streets. (Though come to think of it that could have been Portland or Kenosha, both of which I believe are in the US.)

I have read so many (conveniently vague) predictions of disaster in various forms for the UK over the past few years. Guess what? None of them have come to pass. Like everybody else we've been hit by covid, the post covid-supply crunch, and now energy prices. It's a tough time for everybody, but we'll get through this.

I do think we're going to have a significant recession, but that will not be UK-specific.

Regards,
Dan

Tom in London
Kaspars Melkis
Robert Rietvelt
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Pressing difficulties Oct 23, 2022

My views of the current situation in the UK are admittedly biased. I read the Financial Times, DailyMail, Times of London, Guardian and the Telegraph. I guess they provide a prejudiced view of life in the UK. But I have never thought of these as catastrophist/declinist.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Decline Oct 23, 2022

Declinism is good. All European countries that used to have vast empires have come to terms with their post-imperial reduced status. But not the UK. The UK still thinks of itself as a world power - not noticing that it's on the way down and not understanding what's happening. But on the topic: I think we are wandering away from it.

[Edited at 2022-10-23 11:35 GMT]

Emanuele Vacca

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which pressing difficulty are you facing as a translator and which solution do you wish you had?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »