Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 29, 2022

Hello colleagues,

I have found a client that prefers translators to use Wordfast.

I already count on a license for Trados Studio 2022. The PM explained to me that there is a plugin to open Wordfast packages in Trados, but I could check that it is not compatible with Trados 2022 yet.

I have been reading about Wordfast on their webpage, and it seems there is a free version called Wordfast Anywhere. I could find that one of the restrictions of the free version
... See more
Hello colleagues,

I already count on a license for Trados Studio 2022. The PM explained to me that there is a plugin to open Wordfast packages in Trados, but I could check that it is not compatible with Trados 2022 yet.

I have been reading about Wordfast on their webpage, and it seems there is a free version called Wordfast Anywhere. I could find that one of the restrictions of the free version is that the maximun amount of files per project is 3. The PM thinks that it is also restricted to 500 segments per file. Do you know if it is that way?

This client is a good reason to learn to use another CAT tool, but the free version may not be very useful if it is restricted to 500 segments per file.

I am not pondering purchasing Wordfast Pro at all, but I would like to know if the free version could be useful for my purposes.

Thank you.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jorge Sep 29, 2022

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:
I have been reading about Wordfast on their webpage, and it seems there is a free version called Wordfast Anywhere.

In the coming year, WFA will change to a subscription model of $10 per month. I'm not sure if you can open GLP packages in WFA (Wordfast Anywhere). It was recently (in the past 2-3 years) updated to look and feel similar to Wordfast Pro 7 but it is still essentially a separate CAT tool. Here is what WFA itself says about its limitations:

https://www.freetm.com/jsp/terms.jsp

The PM thinks that it is also restricted to 500 segments per file.

Your client might have read the WFP7 restrictions:
https://www.wordfast.com/downloadpage
which is 500 segments per translation memory for working in demo mode.

Demo mode means that you download and use WFP7 without having a license. Demo mode also doesn't allow you to connect to remote TMs and glossaries, and GLP files often contain connections to such resources. After opening the GLP file in WFP7, you may be able to translate the TXLF files in Trados if you can figure out how to make Trados recognize it as XLIFF.

The PM explained to me that there is a plugin to open Wordfast packages in Trados, but I could check that it is not compatible with Trados 2022 yet.

Well, five years ago there wasn't such a thing:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/16803/import-glp-worfast-package-to-sdl-studio-2017

It's possible that the client is referring to the ability to open TXLF files instead of opening GLP files:
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/334552-wordfast_files_packages_in_sdl_studio_2017_and_2019.html

[Edited at 2022-09-29 14:20 GMT]

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plugin Sep 29, 2022

Hello Samuel,

The PM explained to me that there is a plugin to open Wordfast packages in Trados, but I could check that it is not compatible with Trados 2022 yet.

Well, five years ago there wasn't such a thing:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/16803/import-glp-worfast-package-to-sdl-studio-2017

It's possible that the client is referring to the ability to open TXLF files instead of opening GLP files:
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/334552-wordfast_files_packages_in_sdl_studio_2017_and_2019.html

[Edited at 2022-09-29 14:20 GMT] [/quote]

Thank you very much for all the information.

Here is the link he sent to me to install the plugin:
https://appstore.rws.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-wordfast-txml/247/?_ga=2.72886355.1788615059.1664352243-1702978451.1664352243

Just close the message that pop-ups first, and then you will see the Trados versions that are compatible with this plugin.
In addition and just in case, I downloaded it and the installation wizard detected that I have Trados Studio 2022 installed on my laptop, but it was impossible to mark that I wanted to install it for Trados 2022 because, like the installation wizard informed, if the checkbox of a Trados Studio version was grey, it means that the plugin is not compatible with that version.

Greetings.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jose Sep 29, 2022

https://appstore.rws.com/language/app/file-type-definition-for-wordfast-txml...

This is for TXML, which is the file format of Wordfast Pro 3. And it's not for opening packages -- only for translating TXML files.

Wordfast Pro 7's file format is TXLF.

I found the new URL of the URL in the other post that is now a broken link:
https://technolex.com/new-tips/yak-perekladati-txlf-fajli-wordfast-u-trados-studio.html

[Edited at 2022-09-29 16:25 GMT]

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast version Sep 29, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

This is for TXML, which is the file format of Wordfast Pro 3. And it's not for opening packages -- only for translating TXML files.

https://technolex.com/new-tips/yak-perekladati-txlf-fajli-wordfast-u-trados-studio.html

I have done the process mentioned in the webpage you provided just in case.

Probably you are right because he did not tell me what version of Wordfast Pro they use, but he said it is an old one.

Thank you, Samuel.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:34
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere and pacakages Sep 30, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have done the process mentioned in the webpage you provided just in case.

Probably you are right because he did not tell me what version of Wordfast Pro they use, but he said it is an old one.

Thank you, Samuel.

Wordfast Anywhere now runs natively on txlf (previous standanrd was txlm). There is no text-lenght limit at present, file size is limited too, but it should handle most jobs, only the rare very big files won't fit.
Wordfast Anywhere now accepts GLP from Wordfast Pro and is also able to produce it's own GLP package.
The learning curve for Wordfast Anywhere is not very steep and it is very stable.
GLP, SDL packages etc. are all zip files, changing the extension to zip allows you to get anything from inside them. Any falvour of xliff (txlf, sdlxliff, mqxliff etc.) are usually handled quite well by most CAT tools.

If your LSP uses Wordfast Pro 3, then packages won't matter, they appeared later.

My bests,

Philippe

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere Becomes a paid service January 1st 2023 Dec 1, 2022

I tried to condense the information in this post, check this page http://wordfast.net/?go=anywhere for the full details.

_You have a paid license for Wordfast Pro or Classic: WFA is included for you at no extra cost
_You want to purchase a WFA license: go to Wordfast.com and create an account. 1st month is at 1 USD, then 9 USD a month.
_How the subscription works: You are always
... See more
I tried to condense the information in this post, check this page http://wordfast.net/?go=anywhere for the full details.

_You have a paid license for Wordfast Pro or Classic: WFA is included for you at no extra cost
_You want to purchase a WFA license: go to Wordfast.com and create an account. 1st month is at 1 USD, then 9 USD a month.
_How the subscription works: You are always buying 1 month at minimum. You can add months “Pay as you Go” style or buy a bundle of months (bundles of more than3 months give discounts).
_Countries included in the “Developing economies” as per wordfast.net FAQ will get a 50% discount on WFA subscriptions as it is the case with all Wordfast products.
_Students from universities in Wordfast Academic Program will get free access to WFA (included with their free Wordfast Studio license).
_Your access portal to WFA will no longer be freetm.com, log in to your wordfast.com account to access Wordfast Anywhere (after January 1st ).
Collapse

expressisverbis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Price Dec 3, 2022

WFA becomes subscription-based on January 1, 2023, for a modest fee that makes it far more affordable than any CAT tool with a comparable set of features.

This is not exactly true, is it? Just one example of a competitive product:

CafeTran costs 200€ for 36 months = 5,55€/month.

Another strong competitor, omegaT, is still gratis.

[Edited at 2022-12-03 07:21 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Apples to Pineapples Dec 3, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

WFA becomes subscription-based on January 1, 2023, for a modest fee that makes it far more affordable than any CAT tool with a comparable set of features.

This is not exactly true, is it? Just one example of a competitive product:

Another strong competitor, omegaT, is still gratis.

Does Cafetran work as a full TMS with costs and linguists management?
Can you live share a document for several translators to work on simultaneously with Cafetran?
Can you live share TMs and glossaries with no technical hassle (just a few clicks)?
Does Cafetran offer 50% discount to any freelancer in a country with developing economy?

It's hard to compare CAT tools on exactly the same level. And WFA is a secure cloud-based CAT. To do a closer comparison, maybe online CATs that have integrated TMS would be better. If one were try to compare pricing this way, most people would fall off their chair.
Don't get me wrong, Cafetran is a very good CAT, it's just not exactly the best example to compare from.
Be well

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sure but Dec 3, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
Just one example of a competitive product:

Sure, but CafeTran costs €80 for two months. Actually, CafeTran is €240 for 36 months, since we're talking about comparable features here (i.e. subscription access). Still cheaper than WFA... but CafeTran is not an online tool, so what's "comparable"?

No other paid CAT tool offers the ability to buy access on a month-to-month basis.

Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Not what the OP was looking for ... Dec 3, 2022

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Does Cafetran work as a full TMS with costs and linguists management?
Can you live share a document for several translators to work on simultaneously with Cafetran?

Since the OP mentioned a Trados plug-in to process Wf packages, I assumed that he was looking for a CAT solution, not a 'TMS' ...

So there's no need to bring up the TMS features here.

Be well too

[Edited at 2022-12-03 09:38 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Heads Up Dec 3, 2022

Hello colleagues,

....and it seems there is a free version called Wordfast Anywhere.
.... one of the restrictions of the free version .....

....Tbut the free version may not be very useful if it is restricted to 500 segments per file.

... but I would like to know if the free version could be useful for my purposes.

Thank you.

Since it's one of the most recent threads asking about WFA, and the OP revolved a lot around it being free, I thought it would be a good idea to put the heads-up that it won't be free anymore here.

The excerpt here comes from the wordfast.net site not the post:
Hans Lenting wrote:

But Hans' idea is interesting, I can't remember if there's a thread comparing could-based CATs and cloud-based TMS. If there's none, creating one could be useful to many users.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Features of Wordfast Anywhere

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »