Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:39
din chineză în franceză
+ ...
Still better than us Dec 11, 2014

he-li wrote:

I think this must be the only profession on Earth that doesn't allow us to tell strangers what we've done

You may want to include political assassins in this list.

At least political assassins may write cool biographies when nearing old age.
As for us...

Tiffany Hardy
Tiffany Hardy  Identity Verified
Spania
Local time: 18:39
din spaniolă în engleză
I would refer people to proz profile LWA and LinkedIn if asked Dec 11, 2014

When first asked for references when I was starting out, I was lucky enough to be able to use a former employer who I taught English for but who had given me an odd translation assignment here or there and another former employer where I was an in-house editor (as an editing reference) and the professor of a translation course that I had done where she had seen a lot of my work. This seemed to fare just fine. In reality, I think my references were never even contacted. Maybe this is often just a... See more
When first asked for references when I was starting out, I was lucky enough to be able to use a former employer who I taught English for but who had given me an odd translation assignment here or there and another former employer where I was an in-house editor (as an editing reference) and the professor of a translation course that I had done where she had seen a lot of my work. This seemed to fare just fine. In reality, I think my references were never even contacted. Maybe this is often just a formality.

I think it was more an issue when I first started out and had very little experience because I'm never asked to provide them now. At this point, if I were to be asked I would probably refer people to my LinkedIn profile or proz profile where they can read some of the recommendations given there. If that doesn't suffice, well, I'm busy enough now to no longer care.
Collapse

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency contacting my references offering translation services

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »