Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Dealing with client additions
Thread poster: Christopher W Gladden
Kate Tomkins
Kate Tomkins
Local time: 04:23
German to English
Why waste four hours of your weekend? Dec 20, 2015

If the client wants you to do more than originally agreed, you should charge them your usual fee.

Someone tried to get me to do some extra work this week. I told him it would be charged at my hourly rate and they soon gave up! They know full well they can talk some inexperienced translators into what is essentially slave labour - and they will get away with it if you let them.

The only time this does not apply, of course, is when additional work is required due to an er
... See more
If the client wants you to do more than originally agreed, you should charge them your usual fee.

Someone tried to get me to do some extra work this week. I told him it would be charged at my hourly rate and they soon gave up! They know full well they can talk some inexperienced translators into what is essentially slave labour - and they will get away with it if you let them.

The only time this does not apply, of course, is when additional work is required due to an error the translator themselves have made.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:23
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ATA model contract Dec 22, 2015

Chris,
As you just starting out, you may want to check out the ATA model contract for translators.
It is a good idea to have one set up for your purposes, and use it with clients if they don't have their own, or if that is not acceptable.
Reading through this may give you a better idea of what you need to be careful about, and what kind of things you need to agree on, for your ow
... See more
Chris,
As you just starting out, you may want to check out the ATA model contract for translators.
It is a good idea to have one set up for your purposes, and use it with clients if they don't have their own, or if that is not acceptable.
Reading through this may give you a better idea of what you need to be careful about, and what kind of things you need to agree on, for your own protection.

http://www.atanet.org/business_practices/services_agreements.php
Collapse

Christopher W Gladden
Christopher W Gladden  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 9, 2016

Kate,

"Why waste four hours of your weekend?"

Yeah, that's what I'm saying!

Katalin, thanks a million for the link. That's just what I needed!

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
I know how you feel... Jan 12, 2016

Korean companies can be pretty bad for this as well. I'll do it if it's just an extra sentence or something on a relatively large job, since it doesn't take much time and it's easier to do that than to argue with clients, but if it takes me more than a couple of minutes or if it's the same client coming back with one more thing after another, I won't do it without being paid. I think you have to figure out what you're willing to accept and then hold firmly to that line, wherever you've decided t... See more
Korean companies can be pretty bad for this as well. I'll do it if it's just an extra sentence or something on a relatively large job, since it doesn't take much time and it's easier to do that than to argue with clients, but if it takes me more than a couple of minutes or if it's the same client coming back with one more thing after another, I won't do it without being paid. I think you have to figure out what you're willing to accept and then hold firmly to that line, wherever you've decided to draw it.Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A comment on invoicing Jan 12, 2016

I personally make a habit of noting freebies on the invoice, and discounts too. Discounted work goes on as a full-price item, followed by a line giving the discount. Free work is at least mentioned on the invoice, not just forgotten. Clients need to be reminded that each piece of work you do for tgem is associated with a cost, even if they've been charged zero this time.

The only exception I make to this is if I offer something because I've messed up in some way. A while back I ove
... See more
I personally make a habit of noting freebies on the invoice, and discounts too. Discounted work goes on as a full-price item, followed by a line giving the discount. Free work is at least mentioned on the invoice, not just forgotten. Clients need to be reminded that each piece of work you do for tgem is associated with a cost, even if they've been charged zero this time.

The only exception I make to this is if I offer something because I've messed up in some way. A while back I overlooked a tiny (7.50€) job and delivered very late when reminded of it. The client said not to worry and to charge for it, but he wouldn't have found it on his two-page invoice. Obviously I didn't want to remind him of that one.
Collapse

Christopher W Gladden
Christopher W Gladden  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Jan 25, 2016

Sheila... "I personally make a habit of noting freebies on the invoice, and discounts too."

Thanks, that's a great idea. I'll do that!

Laura... Wow, so it's not just a Japanese thing. It's clear I do need to "draw a line"...just a question of how to present it without being too in your face. Ideally I guess it should be written in a way that makes it sound like such rules are there for their benefit. Hmmm, will have to think about that.

Thanks again.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with client additions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »