Passion for Post Editing Machine Translation?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2016

Post on ProZ.com today:
"We are looking for linguists who have experience and a passion for post editing machine translated materials."

How can one be passionate about producing substandard work for a substandard fee?

This is all the more interesting because I just got a request from an agency and they are asking all their translators to sign a new "code of conduct" agreement including a clause agreeing "NEVER to use MT even if it is reviewed and edited afterward
... See more
Post on ProZ.com today:
"We are looking for linguists who have experience and a passion for post editing machine translated materials."

How can one be passionate about producing substandard work for a substandard fee?

This is all the more interesting because I just got a request from an agency and they are asking all their translators to sign a new "code of conduct" agreement including a clause agreeing "NEVER to use MT even if it is reviewed and edited afterwards."

[Edited at 2016-01-21 23:43 GMT]
Collapse

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not my source language Jan 21, 2016

I don't do PEMT because MT is not my source language, but for those fluent in it I imagine that they have the same passion as the rest of us for converting something utterly incomprehensible to the target audience into fluent and elegant prose in the target language. I don't know if the work is necessarily substandard: I do know that I have (incomprehensibly) been offered translation rates for doing PEMT (which I have refused).

As for companies expressly prohibiting the use of MT, I
... See more
I don't do PEMT because MT is not my source language, but for those fluent in it I imagine that they have the same passion as the rest of us for converting something utterly incomprehensible to the target audience into fluent and elegant prose in the target language. I don't know if the work is necessarily substandard: I do know that I have (incomprehensibly) been offered translation rates for doing PEMT (which I have refused).

As for companies expressly prohibiting the use of MT, I imagine they are worried about confidentiality rather than pricing issues.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can you be fluent in PEMT? Jan 21, 2016

How can you be fluent in PEMT or HAMPsTr (Human-Assisted Machine Pseudo Translation)?

Denise Phelps wrote:

As for companies expressly prohibiting the use of MT, I imagine they are worried about confidentiality rather than pricing issues.

[Edited at 2016-01-21 23:50 GMT]

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Irony? Jan 22, 2016

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Or maybe you get good at it with practice.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Boycott! Jan 22, 2016

We have to boycott these sort of jobs, lest they become more commonplace.

Shepherdyu
Shepherdyu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:31
English to Chinese
MT use Jan 22, 2016

For technical files, One client sometimes provides MT for reference, the results seems quite good.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:31
English to Thai
+ ...
Another movement Jan 22, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

Post on ProZ.com today:

This is all the more interesting because I just got a request from an agency and they are asking all their translators to sign a new "code of conduct" agreement including a clause agreeing "NEVER to use MT even if it is reviewed and edited afterwards."

ISO and other international stand organizations are arranging to set the post-editing quality standard. I observe it as another industrial trend we cannot deny in the future. Of course, MT is prohibited by many agencies.
In one of my cases, MT is not easy to verify. Definition of MT is still reasonably inaccurate.

Soonthon L.

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Passion for Post Editing Machine Translation? Jan 22, 2016

Yes, are sites like Linguee considered MT?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

... MT is not easy to verify. Definition of MT is still reasonably inaccurate.

Soonthon L.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Perversion Jan 22, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

Post on ProZ.com today:

Well, there are some weird people out there. Post editing machine translated materials may be a perversion I haven't heard about.

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
The meaning of a term depends on its context. Jan 24, 2016

They may have a point - MW gives"suffering" as being obsolete, but that seems close.

In a religious context, there's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_the_Christ which involved betrayal, scourging, washing of hands, ... the latter especially seems appropriate for PEMT.

MW also has "the state or capacity of being acted on by external agents or
... See more
They may have a point - MW gives"suffering" as being obsolete, but that seems close.

In a religious context, there's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_the_Christ which involved betrayal, scourging, washing of hands, ... the latter especially seems appropriate for PEMT.

MW also has "the state or capacity of being acted on by external agents or forces".
Collapse

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
I have a sort of passion for post editing machine translation... Jan 25, 2016

That is, I passionately hate it... but I don't think that's what they were going for...

Machine translation does an exceptionally terrible job between Korean and English, and the few times I've been asked to edit such translations, the client has wanted to only pay my per-word editing rates. I think it's a sort of money-saving move. I then tell them that I charge for editing of machine translations at my normal translation rates and will not accept anything less, and they never get
... See more
That is, I passionately hate it... but I don't think that's what they were going for...

Machine translation does an exceptionally terrible job between Korean and English, and the few times I've been asked to edit such translations, the client has wanted to only pay my per-word editing rates. I think it's a sort of money-saving move. I then tell them that I charge for editing of machine translations at my normal translation rates and will not accept anything less, and they never get back to me.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Different people have different passions Jan 25, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

Some people are passionate about writing forum posts for no fee at all. We all have different passions.

Also, as a linguist, you should know that the expression "passionate about" in a job advert doesn't mean what the sum of the individual words literally mean. It's a meaningless phrase that attempts to make the advert sound a little more upbeat, and it serves to increase the word count of the advert.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What is so interesting? Jan 25, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

Were you saying you got a request for you to post-edit machine translated materials from an agency that were asking all their translators to sign a new "code of conduct" agreement including a clause agreeing "NEVER to use MT even if it is reviewed and edited afterwards?

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, those were two different companies... Jan 25, 2016

The interesting part is while some companies are praising the virtues of MT to their clients, others are advertising the fact that they do not use it.

jyuan_us wrote:

Were you saying you got a request for you to post-edit machine translated materials from an agency that were asking all their translators to sign a new "code of conduct" agreement including a clause agreeing "NEVER to use MT even if it is reviewed and edited afterwards?

[Edited at 2016-01-25 14:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passion for Post Editing Machine Translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »