United States
Local time: 03:26
English to German
+ ...
What is your point?! Feb 1, 2016

[quote]liviu roth wrote:

yes, you do

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

As a service provider, I have my own terms and conditions. My identity is verified here on Proz.com and through my email accounts. If there are worries about identity, there are other ways to clarify it. If a (prospective) client can't accept them, well, they won't become or will no longer be my client. When a prospective client asks for copies of passport, driver's license and similar personal documents, my answer will always be a clear No!
When did you last ask a service provider of any kind for their passport and/or driver's license?

[Edited at 2016-01-29 17:40 GMT]

When you send them your W-9, you provide them with plenty of info, including your SS# and address. !

Lee

[Edited at 2016-02-02 13:54 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
PS W-9 Feb 2, 2016

Completing a W-9 is very different from giving someone actual copies of driver's licenses, passports, social security cards etc. W-9 forms must be filled out in certain situations (as a contractor). Even in that case, one must first do one's due diligence.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
What happened. Feb 2, 2016

The PM at the ID-demanding agency replied that the agency understood the dilemma and that they would be satisfied with a photocopy of the relevant page of my passport with certain identifying details blacked out, so I've sent it to them today - by post, not by email.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
And now what? Feb 2, 2016

One hopes everybody understand that this process (asking for free-lance contractors some sort of proof of ID) is totally bogus, ISO standard or not.

Because there is no way of verifying, let alone ensuring, ISO standard notwithstanding, that any such contractor identified by an ID has actually taken part in creating a work delivered by such agencies to a customer.

I haven't looked at the alleged ISO standard, but I'll venture that such agencies, at best confuse employe
... See more
One hopes everybody understand that this process (asking for free-lance contractors some sort of proof of ID) is totally bogus, ISO standard or not.

Because there is no way of verifying, let alone ensuring, ISO standard notwithstanding, that any such contractor identified by an ID has actually taken part in creating a work delivered by such agencies to a customer.

I haven't looked at the alleged ISO standard, but I'll venture that such agencies, at best confuse employees and independent contractors/vendors, and may not be above fraudulently representing such independent contractors as employees.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I agree that it's possible, JL01, ... Feb 2, 2016

It is indeed possible that a duly "identified" translator could pass off somebody else's work as their own, but in this particular case I'd been translating for the agency concerned for several years and they'd been duly paying me to the bank account whose details I'd given them.
It wasn't a question of their not believing that I was who I say I am, but simply that they want to be able to comply with the requirements of a certain ISO standard. Complying with that standard does not, of cour
... See more
It is indeed possible that a duly "identified" translator could pass off somebody else's work as their own, but in this particular case I'd been translating for the agency concerned for several years and they'd been duly paying me to the bank account whose details I'd given them.
It wasn't a question of their not believing that I was who I say I am, but simply that they want to be able to comply with the requirements of a certain ISO standard. Complying with that standard does not, of course, guarantee that the translator is any good at their job.
I don't know why some agencies want to comply with such standards or whether doing so does them any good.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies asking for ID

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »