Thread poster: sebastian lantos
sebastian lantos
sebastian lantos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 4, 2003

Can the Employment Commission disputes free lance interperters as employees? what is our legal defense? this upcoming issue may change the way we work

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'm not sure I understand Feb 4, 2003

what you\'re asking.

Could you rephrase this?
[addsig]

sebastian lantos
sebastian lantos  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The answer may require an owner of a US based agency Feb 17, 2003

This is classic way for agencies to work in the US. We subcontract to freelance interpretrs. Some State Agencies are looking into these freelancers as employees therfore hitting the agency with extra taxes.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:39
English to German
+ ...
The question may require some more background... Feb 18, 2003

Hi Sebastian,

I also noted your (duplicate) posting in the \"Techniques\" forum - in her response, Gillian Noameshie also asked for more background.

Unless by sheer coincidence, there\'s someone out there reading your post who happens to be faced with exactly the same problem, your chances of getting a response will be greatly improved if you provide some more background...

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
See California cases Feb 18, 2003

I believe this was an issue with California court interpreters at one point. If you look in Google under \"interpreters\" / \"contractor\" / \"employee\" or something like that I bet you can find the information. Interpreters\' organizations should have lots of info on this, too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1009 vs. w2 free lance or employees?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »