Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Should askers who find their answer elsewhere be "pushed" to share their findings?
Thread poster: tradu-grace
tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:27
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Natalie Jul 18, 2010

Hi again Natalie,

I so share your suggestion to sort out the issue. Compliments.

John Venerella
John Venerella  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
No closing of open question without valid answer Jul 18, 2010

I agree with Natalie, the system should not permit the question to be closed without an answer -- and it should be the one that prompted the asker to stop looking!

Otherwise it is like giving the opening line of a good joke, but then you never get to hear the punch line.

Or like waiting for a sneeze that never happens.

We all hate that.

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to John V. Jul 18, 2010

Hi John,

many thanks for your comment!!!

Klementina Shahini
Klementina Shahini
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2009)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Agree - No closing of open question without valid answer Jul 19, 2010

I agree with Natalie and everybody else that previously agreed with her too - the system should not permit the question to be closed without an answer. I have been in both sides. One time I closed the question without an answer because the only answer that was given to me was not the one I was looking for. I e-mailed the person that took the time to help me and after a big thank you to her I gave her all the explanation why her answer was not the right one.

On the other hand I
... See more
I agree with Natalie and everybody else that previously agreed with her too - the system should not permit the question to be closed without an answer. I have been in both sides. One time I closed the question without an answer because the only answer that was given to me was not the one I was looking for. I e-mailed the person that took the time to help me and after a big thank you to her I gave her all the explanation why her answer was not the right one.

On the other hand I had a situation that the question was closed without an answer and one of the answers was mine.Three days later the same material was given to me for proofreading and my answer was used in the translation. Surprisingly, no kudoZ were rewarded.
Collapse

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Klemi Jul 19, 2010

Hi Klemi.
First of all, thanks for sharing with us your experience.
What occured to you is surprising and somehow "weird".

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I post a comment Jul 19, 2010

Natalie wrote:

I would suggest the following: when the asker chooses the option of closing his/her answer with the reason "answer found elsewhere", s/he should be prompted to enter this answer that has been found elsewhere. Otherwise the system should not allow to close the answer.

Natalia

I a gree too!

While I have been a moderator, I have posted a polite moderator comment every time it happened in "my" pairs, and added that it might be a valuable contribution to the glossary.
At least everyone else can see it and bear in mind that it is etiquette.

But it doesn't get a lot of immediate results.
I would never delete a polite request for an answer if anyone else added it in the discussion box.

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
Romanian to English
+ ...
Share the "answer found elsewhere" only if there are other answers Jul 19, 2010

I think askers should be forced to share their finding only if others bothered to answer, even if "unsuccessfully".

Not sure if this is where I should post this suggestion: speaking of kudoz, I think potential askers should be prevented from posting a kudoz question about the same term and in the same language pair. At least in one of my pairs, some questions have been asked (same context, same term, same meaning) up to 3 times. Of course, there are questions saved with incorrect an
... See more
I think askers should be forced to share their finding only if others bothered to answer, even if "unsuccessfully".

Not sure if this is where I should post this suggestion: speaking of kudoz, I think potential askers should be prevented from posting a kudoz question about the same term and in the same language pair. At least in one of my pairs, some questions have been asked (same context, same term, same meaning) up to 3 times. Of course, there are questions saved with incorrect answers, but in this case, askers should be prompted to mark "term x (in this context)" or something. If the question was already answered, the potential answerers will post that kudoz link as a reference, but shouldn't the asker make this effort?

Annamaria
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree somewhat Jul 19, 2010

tradugrace wrote:
Some askers do not grade answers stating they have found the solution elsewhere. In my opinion, as just few of them do, they should be "pushed" to share their findings with the whole proz community.

Well, they don't need to be pushed, but they should be given the opportunity. I just closed one of my own questions and although i was given the option to say "found answer elsewhere" I was not given the opportunity to say what that answer was. If I had that opportunity, I would have gladly shared it with the answerers.

mimi 254
mimi 254
Local time: 15:27
French to English
+ ...
agree with Natalie Jul 19, 2010

It is sometimes frustrating to see that after spending time to research, a question is closed and you don't even know the answer he/she found elsewhere which i believe could be of great help to the entire community.

mimi 254
mimi 254
French to English
+ ...
To Neilmac Jul 19, 2010

Hi Neilmac

I don't see why one should be embarassed for posting a question and the second after finding the answer. There are moments like that and it should not be cause for embarassment.

On the other hand, viewing non-native translators in your pair as unfair competition and not wishing to share your knowledge is xxxfold unfair giving that you are keen to request and rececive help from ANYBODY including the non-native of your pair and this I believe is not the
... See more
Hi Neilmac

I don't see why one should be embarassed for posting a question and the second after finding the answer. There are moments like that and it should not be cause for embarassment.

On the other hand, viewing non-native translators in your pair as unfair competition and not wishing to share your knowledge is xxxfold unfair giving that you are keen to request and rececive help from ANYBODY including the non-native of your pair and this I believe is not the raison d'être of Proz.com
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disagree Jul 19, 2010

I'm definitely against even more policing.

I do not think that people should be "pushed" to do anything.

I definitly object the "penalty" proposal.

And I don't think that "Proz platform should be considered as a site where know-how, languages' knowledge might be shared with one another." It certainly is one very valid opinion, but others consider it merely a business and that's also valid.

Basically, I agree with Samuel. Sh
... See more
I'm definitely against even more policing.

I do not think that people should be "pushed" to do anything.

I definitly object the "penalty" proposal.

And I don't think that "Proz platform should be considered as a site where know-how, languages' knowledge might be shared with one another." It certainly is one very valid opinion, but others consider it merely a business and that's also valid.

Basically, I agree with Samuel. Should askers be given the opportunity to specify what they found? Definitely. Forced to do it? No.

Greetings
Collapse

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Samuel Murray Jul 19, 2010

Hi Samuel,
from my point of view, your proposal is great!!! Compliments

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Ariffo Jul 19, 2010

Hi Ariffo,

I understand your disagree but if you have time and are willing to see Samuel Murray
proposal, I would very much appreciate it.
His proposal is great as I wrote.

However, my term "pushed" was just in the sense of encourage askers in question
to share the terminology they found.

We, certainly see proz platform from a different perspective.

Thanks anyway for your opinion and participation to this forum.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I couldn't agree more Jul 20, 2010

Natalie wrote:

I would suggest the following: when the asker chooses the option of closing his/her answer with the reason "answer found elsewhere", s/he should be prompted to enter this answer that has been found elsewhere. Otherwise the system should not allow to close the answer.

Natalia

It would be great solution for two reasons:

- respect to people who made the effort to reply - there is no obligation to choose their answers but providing the chosen answer would at least partly explain why such answers were not chosen
- convenience of everyone searching for terms on this site - it's very likely that after a while someone else is going to search for the same word/phrase and such information from the asker would be valuable

Best Regards
Stanislaw

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ti Stanislaw Jul 20, 2010

Hi to you,
thanks for your comment.

Another important reason is the following:

proz building the specialized Glossary term : GBK

Best to you,

Regards

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should askers who find their answer elsewhere be "pushed" to share their findings?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »