Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Should askers who find their answer elsewhere be "pushed" to share their findings?
Thread poster: tradu-grace
tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:54
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 17, 2010

Dear collegues,

I'd like to make a survey among all of you concerning Kudoz questions.
Some askers do not grade answers stating they have found the solution
elsewhere. In my opinion, as just few of them do, they should be "pushed" to
share their findings with the whole proz community.
Proz platform should be considered as a site where know-how, languages' knowledge
might be shared with one another.
May be, I'm kind of naive person on this subject
... See more
Dear collegues,

I'd like to make a survey among all of you concerning Kudoz questions.
Some askers do not grade answers stating they have found the solution
elsewhere. In my opinion, as just few of them do, they should be "pushed" to
share their findings with the whole proz community.
Proz platform should be considered as a site where know-how, languages' knowledge
might be shared with one another.
May be, I'm kind of naive person on this subject but the aforesaid is and I think it
still remains my personal point of view.
Gaining points is important but getting some new knowledge is better.

What do you think about it ? What is your opinion on this little survey.
Thanks in advance to those who will reply.

tradugrace

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-07-19 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Propose a survey (See page 1!) Jul 17, 2010

Before that, read the FAQ about KudoZ and your survey will be much better.

Mats

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Danish to English
sharing "answers" Jul 17, 2010

I agree that it is irritating when sometimes several people have gone out of their way, even doing some research, to help a fellow translator, and then that person just says they found the answer somewhere else. They should tell the community exactly what they found, and if they can't be bothered to do that much I think some penalty should be extracted, like deducting points, if they have any. BUt that probably requires too much policing, which I am not in favor of either.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I agree Jul 17, 2010

I would suggest the following: when the asker chooses the option of closing his/her answer with the reason "answer found elsewhere", s/he should be prompted to enter this answer that has been found elsewhere. Otherwise the system should not allow to close the answer.

Natalia

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reminder Jul 17, 2010

Thanks Matts for the reminder.

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Brian Jul 17, 2010

You're right Brian, I don't like to much policing either

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Natalie Jul 17, 2010

I see your point Natalie and thanks for sharing my opinion.

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Mats Jul 17, 2010

I have read your article

Confessions of a 'KudoZ point grabber'
By Mats Wiman | Published 09/4/2005

It is worth reading it and I suggest other colleagues to do the same.

P.S. sorry for my typo error of your name

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Danish to English
Good article by Mats Jul 18, 2010

Thanks for great article, Mats. I think it is well worth reading.
I had stayed far away from Kudoz for a long time. Then I was approached by a client who sought me out because, as he said, I was at the bottom of the list, and almost impossible to find. So I started to answer questions, just to see what would happen.
It can be a rather habit forming, but also very educational.
I try to only answer questions if I know the answer right off. I don't get into the heavy research bit
... See more
Thanks for great article, Mats. I think it is well worth reading.
I had stayed far away from Kudoz for a long time. Then I was approached by a client who sought me out because, as he said, I was at the bottom of the list, and almost impossible to find. So I started to answer questions, just to see what would happen.
It can be a rather habit forming, but also very educational.
I try to only answer questions if I know the answer right off. I don't get into the heavy research bit, or plaster my answer with website references. Also, though I sometimes argue for my answer, I try also to be quick to agree with others when I realize that they have come up with a better answer. I have learned a lot from answering, and I hope it has helped some.
The one thing that bothers me is the persistent serial askers. That is what I would call translating by proxy. There are some few who ask so many questions that I really wonder why they even consider themselves to be translators. I can understand asking questions of a very peculiar nature, but sometimes it is just a question of looking up a word. I think some askers are in over their heads, and turn to kudoz to get their work done for them. But of course that does provide an easy opportunity to collect points.
Collapse

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Brian Jul 18, 2010

Hi Brian,

I do share definitely your comment on Mats article.
tradugrace

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreed! Jul 18, 2010

I fully agree with you, tradugrace. I had an instance of this occurring to me recently and I sent an email to the asker asking her to share her findings, but sadly she failed to respond! I found this both annoying and impolite and Natalie's suggestion is one that I would wholeheartedly support.

[Edited at 2010-07-18 13:55 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Avoiding embarrassment Jul 18, 2010

Sometimes (it's happened to me twice recently) I have been about to post a kudoz query which it turns out I had already asked (or answered!) a couple of years previously.
Other times, you might post a query and then the answer comes to you just after entering the query, so you close it without clarifying, mainly to avoid the embarrassment of just being an absent-minded old git...
Basically, I view non-native translators in my pair as unfair competition and don't necessarily wish to s
... See more
Sometimes (it's happened to me twice recently) I have been about to post a kudoz query which it turns out I had already asked (or answered!) a couple of years previously.
Other times, you might post a query and then the answer comes to you just after entering the query, so you close it without clarifying, mainly to avoid the embarrassment of just being an absent-minded old git...
Basically, I view non-native translators in my pair as unfair competition and don't necessarily wish to share my knowledge with all and sundry, however keen I may be to receive help from anybody willing when I need it myself...
Collapse

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Paul Stevens Jul 18, 2010

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Moreover, I appreciate a lot you shared your experience with us all.

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Neilmac Jul 18, 2010

Hi Neimac,
First of all I'm glad you share your opinion and experience with us all.

You state the following:

Unquote

I definitely understand what you mean and I recognize that it may happen.
However, I find it somehow d
... See more
Hi Neimac,
First of all I'm glad you share your opinion and experience with us all.

You state the following:

Unquote

I definitely understand what you mean and I recognize that it may happen.
However, I find it somehow difficult to share the sense of embarrassment you feel but
here I'm not eligible to talk, so to say, it is too personal. Everyone's feelings are hopefully different and should be respected.

On the other hand, I think Natalie suggested a good solution to figure out any problem
we're dealing.

Dear Neimac, we are all adults and we do not certainly judge you (your words) "absent-minded old gift.." Please do stay with us, mistakes happen all the time to anyone here and elsewhere.

A big big thank you again and a big hug from me and/or our whole community I believe.
Collapse

tradu-grace
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to Neilmac again Jul 18, 2010

Hi again Neilmac,
I've had a look to your profile and it seems to me as a top level one.

Something reminds me now to a worldwide famous US dancer (and much more)
Daniel Ezralow who I love a lot. One of his performance was titled or sounded, I don't
remember correctly as follows: "why be extraordinary when you could be just yourselves".

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should askers who find their answer elsewhere be "pushed" to share their findings?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »