Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 31, 2011

Hi fellow MemoQ-ers! I'm a MemoQ newby and so far I like what it can do with it. Just finished my first project and I'm trying to spellcheck a 4-page document with less than 1000 words. It's taken me about ten minutes and I'm not finished. Is it always this slow?
I use the Word option and made a new ignore list. MemoQ is working fine. everything else seems ok, no program hogging the bus. I have Windows 7 64 bit and both Word 2003 and 2007.

Anyone have an idea why it is so slow
... See more
Hi fellow MemoQ-ers! I'm a MemoQ newby and so far I like what it can do with it. Just finished my first project and I'm trying to spellcheck a 4-page document with less than 1000 words. It's taken me about ten minutes and I'm not finished. Is it always this slow?
I use the Word option and made a new ignore list. MemoQ is working fine. everything else seems ok, no program hogging the bus. I have Windows 7 64 bit and both Word 2003 and 2007.

Anyone have an idea why it is so slow and if anything can be done about it?

By the way: the first option in the Spell checking window is "Correct" which is the button to push if the word is NOT correct. Thought that was funny. I know, I know; it's to be understood as the verb "to correct". Still a bit confusing, don't you think?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Switch to the Hunspell option Jan 31, 2011

I think that you will notice that memoQ uses Microsoft Word's spellchecker as the default option. This option is tecnically better, but slower of course.

You might want to change the spellchecking to use Hunspell, as follows:
1. In the main menu, choose Tools > Options. Select the "Spell settings" pane.
2. Choose your target language in the "Settings for language..." list.
3. Select the "Use Hunspell for spelling this language" radio button.

You should
... See more
I think that you will notice that memoQ uses Microsoft Word's spellchecker as the default option. This option is tecnically better, but slower of course.

You might want to change the spellchecking to use Hunspell, as follows:
1. In the main menu, choose Tools > Options. Select the "Spell settings" pane.
2. Choose your target language in the "Settings for language..." list.
3. Select the "Use Hunspell for spelling this language" radio button.

You should see your target language in the "Hunspell dictionaries" list. If it is there, tick its checkbox. If it is not there, choose the "Look for more dictionaries online" and use the associated dialogs to select and download the target language you need.

You will see that Hunspell is a lot faster.

Now, you will notice that you cannot directly add an unknown word to the ignore lists. In order to to it, you need to choose the "Ignore lists" tab in the Spell checking dialog, create a list with the "New" button and enable it by ticking its checkbox. From that point, all words for which you click "Add" will be added to this list.

I hope this helps!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed! Jan 31, 2011

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
By the way: the first option in the Spell checking window is "Correct" which is the button to push if the word is NOT correct. Thought that was funny. I know, I know; it's to be understood as the verb "to correct". Still a bit confusing, don't you think?

I entirely agree. It would be much better to use "Change". I will send a support request to Kilgray about it, and you might want to do the same for some quorum...

Ron Willems
Ron Willems  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Slowness is a bug Feb 19, 2014

I can understand how and why using the Word spellchecker would be slower. But for a lightning fast computer to spend 10-15 seconds on checking a single sentence - that's a bug of epic proportions.

With a bit of luck my pc could have found intelligent life in a different galaxy spending that amount of time...

[Edited at 2014-02-19 10:18 GMT]

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 22:55
Russian to English
+ ...
Not a bug anymore Feb 19, 2014

Ron Willems wrote:
...that's a bug of epic proportions...

Dear Ron, considering that in 2014 you give your opinion on the 2011-year topic I would suggest you switching to one of the so called "sixths" versions. There you will find a lightning fast spell-checking with synonimes and "add-to" options, I promise

No more confusions and different galaxies are needed. Sure.

fee
fee
German to English
+ ...
spellcheck still incredibly slow, 3 years later Dec 8, 2014

End of 2014, working with MemoQ 2014, and the (MS Word-based) spellcheck is still abominably slow - I am in danger of missing a customer deadline if I complete spellchecks on over 20 files.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Do the spellchecking in Word Dec 8, 2014

fee wrote:
End of 2014, working with MemoQ 2014, and the (MS Word-based) spellcheck is still abominably slow - I am in danger of missing a customer deadline if I complete spellchecks on over 20 files.

You can export your 20 documents to a single two-colum RTF and do the spellchecking in Word. Much faster.

VIP9N
VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
spellcheck is incredibly fast Dec 9, 2014

When in process, I use Hunspell ("Check spelling as you type" check-box). I don't wait for it, it waits for me. When the job is done, I export the ready file and check it again in Word / Excel / PPT (using Orfo for Russian, by the way). It also waits for me, not me for the software. My harware Sony laptop (4-year old) with a SSD-disk, 8 Gb of RAM. It waits for me during the job, not me for it.

[Edited at 2014-12-09 11:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ Spellchecker is too slow

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »