traiston  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:17
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 9, 2013

My dear friends:
The client sent me a glossary file in .xls format. I want to create a termbase with it. But Memoq only can import CSV or TMX file. I saved the file as .CSV file, but erro appeared when importing it.
Thank you in advance.

[修改时间: 2013-08-10 00:48 GMT]

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 03:17
English to Chinese
Use the Unicode Text file format instead Aug 10, 2013

It will not import correctly if you save the file in csv format. The correct format is actually the Unicode Text (.txt) file. In Excel, save your xls file in Unicode Text format. Then import the .txt file using the same import function for csv/tmx to MemoQ, assigning the source and target languages accordingly. It should work.

Good luck!

Chun-yi

traiston wrote:

My dear friends:
The client sent me a glossary file in .xls format. I want to create a termbase with it. But Memoq only can import CSV or TMX file. I saved the file as .CSV file, but erro appeared when importing it.
Thank you in advance.

[修改时间: 2013-08-10 00:48 GMT]

traiston
traiston  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:17
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for you help. Aug 10, 2013

Hi, Chen
I imported it successfully. Thank you very much.

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Can only import source OR target from unicode or excel Nov 6, 2014

I followed the advice above. However even though I can 'import' both excel files and unicode files, when I look at the term base only the target language appears on the right, with nothing on the left, or all the source language on the left, with nothing on the right. No error according to memoQ.

I select the language/source(target/fields before importing, I can't see what I'm doing wrongly.
Help!

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 13:17
Russian to English
+ ...
It's simple: Nov 7, 2014

Richard Purdom wrote:
...only the target language appears on the right, with nothing on the left,...
...I select the language/source(target/fields before importing, I can't see what I'm doing wrongly. Help!

Hi Rich,
The Memo's logic is quite simple, you have to get it as follows:
When you selected the relevant file (csv or txt) to be imported into your termbase, select the required fileds:
1. F0 - Import as term - Language (I select French (France), for ex.)
2. F1 - Import as term - Language (I select Russian, for ex.)
Voilà & that's all.

Good luck

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
sorted! Nov 7, 2014

Thanks for your help, I was trying to import the translation column as 'definition'.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create memoq termbase with .xls file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »