How does one translate SmartArt in a Word document in memoQ? (A: Zip and import as XML)
Initiator des Themas: John Fossey
John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 12:20
Mitglied (2008)
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
Jul 28, 2014

How does one translate SmartArt in a Word document in memoQ? It seems to completely ignore it.

Currently, the only workflow I have found is to create a SDLXLIFF file in Studio, which includes the SmartArt text correctly, translate it in memoQ (which I much prefer to translating it in Studio) then reimport the SDLXLIFF file into Studio to create the target Word document. It works, but it would be much better to do the whole job in memoQ. Is there any way to do this?

[Subje
... See more
How does one translate SmartArt in a Word document in memoQ? It seems to completely ignore it.

Currently, the only workflow I have found is to create a SDLXLIFF file in Studio, which includes the SmartArt text correctly, translate it in memoQ (which I much prefer to translating it in Studio) then reimport the SDLXLIFF file into Studio to create the target Word document. It works, but it would be much better to do the whole job in memoQ. Is there any way to do this?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2016-12-26 20:39 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2016-12-26 20:40 GMT]
Collapse

ulrika månsson (X)
ulrika månsson (X)
Schweden
Englisch > Schwedisch
+ ...
smartart in memoQ - there is a workaround Mar 12, 2015

Hi John (and everyone else),
I found a solution in the memoQ Yahoo group (a BIG thanks to jacqui birnie and jaime zuniga!).
The post is quite old, but works.
Basically, you just zip the docx file, locate the xml files containing the smartart text, in my case it was in the folder word, subfolder diagrams, the files named "data1" etc.
These xml files can be imported and translated in memoQ. When you are done, you just replace the original xml files with the translated ones
... See more
Hi John (and everyone else),
I found a solution in the memoQ Yahoo group (a BIG thanks to jacqui birnie and jaime zuniga!).
The post is quite old, but works.
Basically, you just zip the docx file, locate the xml files containing the smartart text, in my case it was in the folder word, subfolder diagrams, the files named "data1" etc.
These xml files can be imported and translated in memoQ. When you are done, you just replace the original xml files with the translated ones.
kind regards,
Ulrika

[Edited at 2015-03-12 06:50 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russische Föderation
Local time: 23:20
Englisch > Russisch
+ ...
making love with SmartArt objects Dec 26, 2016

Ulrika! You are my hero! If only I wasn't married...))) Thank you very much!

But to access these objects you have not to simply zip the word file. It is necessary to change its extention tp .zip instead of .doc(x)
After that, this file can be opened with any Archiver and you may unzip "diagrams" folder.
There are many files in the "diagrams" folder: colorsX, dataX, drawingX, layoutX, quickStyleX.
Th
... See more
Ulrika! You are my hero! If only I wasn't married...))) Thank you very much!

But to access these objects you have not to simply zip the word file. It is necessary to change its extention tp .zip instead of .doc(x)
After that, this file can be opened with any Archiver and you may unzip "diagrams" folder.
There are many files in the "diagrams" folder: colorsX, dataX, drawingX, layoutX, quickStyleX.
They are all .xml files.
Text information (it is very unusual ) is stored in files called dataXX.xml
So simply import only these data and after translation and export simply copy and change into zipped file --> word --> diagrams.
Then you should be done.
Good luck everybody.

[Edited at 2016-12-26 19:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-12-26 19:23 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does one translate SmartArt in a Word document in memoQ? (A: Zip and import as XML)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »