Thread poster: David Greenberg
David Greenberg
David Greenberg  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:17
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2015

I am trying to export my MetaTexis (3.205) termbase to memoQ (7.8.54) in order to give memoQ a try. However, I have run into a number of issues:

• MemoQ imports the synonyms in any given entry as a single term.

• If a synonym other than the first begins with a capital letter, MemoQ changes that letter to lowercase.

• MemoQ does not import the Source, Context, Examples, and Notes fields.

Can anyone offer advice for exporting the termbas
... See more
I am trying to export my MetaTexis (3.205) termbase to memoQ (7.8.54) in order to give memoQ a try. However, I have run into a number of issues:

• MemoQ imports the synonyms in any given entry as a single term.

• If a synonym other than the first begins with a capital letter, MemoQ changes that letter to lowercase.

• MemoQ does not import the Source, Context, Examples, and Notes fields.

Can anyone offer advice for exporting the termbase relatively easily?

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Tabbed text or excel Sep 30, 2015

I am not sure about MetaTexis glossary - never used it, but I guess you can create a simple file with just two columns or tab-separated lines:
--------------------------------------
Sourceterm1[tab]Targetterm1
Sourceterm2[tab]Targetterm2
Sourceterm3[tab]Targetterm3
Sourceterm4[tab]Targetterm4
Sourceterm5[tab]Targetterm5
Sourceterm6[tab]Targetterm6
etc...
as *.txt
or 2-column file as *.csv
... See more
I am not sure about MetaTexis glossary - never used it, but I guess you can create a simple file with just two columns or tab-separated lines:
Sourceterm1[tab]Targetterm1
Sourceterm2[tab]Targetterm2
Sourceterm3[tab]Targetterm3
Sourceterm4[tab]Targetterm4
Sourceterm5[tab]Targetterm5
Sourceterm6[tab]Targetterm6
etc...
as *.txt
or 2-column file as *.csv
Then choose you termbase in memoQ (or create new one).
Then 'Import terminology' -> add your *.txt/csv

Here goes the most importand part - assign fields.

Choose F0 and check 'Import as term' -> select source language
Choose F1 and check 'Import as term' -> select target language

In this example I used csv. If you use txt, delimiter will be 'Tab' (not 'Semicolon') by default.

If you have synonyms in source, check 'Split alternatives in field by' and add ; or , or whatever you use to separate them.

[Edited at 2015-09-30 13:50 GMT]
Collapse

David Greenberg
David Greenberg  Identity Verified
Israel
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conclusion Sep 30, 2015

Thanks very much for your post, Stepan!

I am posting the following information about how I migrated the termbase in hopes that it will help someone in future.

- I found it necessary to export to a text file rather than to TMX format, because in the case of TMX, memoQ does not provide options for synonym delimiters or for assigning fields in the old file to those in the new database. I did not experiment with the database format export options, because I do not have the
... See more
Thanks very much for your post, Stepan!

I am posting the following information about how I migrated the termbase in hopes that it will help someone in future.

- I found it necessary to export to a text file rather than to TMX format, because in the case of TMX, memoQ does not provide options for synonym delimiters or for assigning fields in the old file to those in the new database. I did not experiment with the database format export options, because I do not have the tools to edit such files.

- MemoQ does not allow mapping multiple old fields to a new field. Since memoQ also does not permit custom fields in termbases and does not offer several of those used by MetaTexis, it is necessary to go through the old database and move text between fields, so that it will not be lost.

- Specifying a synonym delimiter prevents memoQ from turning the first letter of a synonym other than the first into lowercase.

As a side note, I did not experience issues in importing old translation memories to memoQ.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase migration from MetaTexis

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »