Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not needed Nov 21, 2022

I do not think you have to restore anything if you reinstall the program on the same machine/location. After the reinstall, everything is there.

If you mean that you are moving the application to a different computer, I think all you need to do is to copy the whole contents of the location you have defined as your location for termbases (see an example from my machine below). You define these locations in the settings (the little gear wheels):

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-21 192304

(If I may, I think it is always a good idea to choose your own root folder for all your memoQ resources, instead of letting memoQ save them in the depths of your user data folders, etc. etc. It is always best to have them in a location you can choose easily for backups, copies, etc.).

Grigori Gazarian
Stepan Konev

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
export Nov 21, 2022

The way I do it is to simply export the terms to a USB drive, and I add the word "export" to the file name so that I can recognize it as such. Then, if you can't access your term base for whatever reason, you can simply create a new term base and import the ones you had exported. I do the same with my translation memories.

Stepan Konev
Kevin Fulton
Marina Aleyeva

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Tomás, in my case, I need to restore the Termbases to a new computer Nov 22, 2022

Once I have reinstalled memoQ on the new computer ,
should I simply copy the contents of the directory where I had the Term Bases on the old computer ?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:53
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
memoQ backup wizard with memoQ 9.13 Nov 22, 2022

They have very recently released their own tool to do periodic backups.

Here is the page about memoQ 9.13: https://www.memoq.com/memoq-versions/memoq-9-13

Here is a b
... See more
They have very recently released their own tool to do periodic backups.

Here is the page about memoQ 9.13: https://www.memoq.com/memoq-versions/memoq-9-13

Here is a blog post about the memoQ backup wizard: https://blog.memoq.com/keep-your-projects-and-resources-safe-introducing-memoq-backup-wizard
Collapse

Marina Aleyeva

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
after installing memoQ on a new computer, ... Nov 22, 2022

how I restore my TermBases on that computer ?

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
new computer Nov 22, 2022

I don't know about restoring, or copying term bases or memories successfully. I know that when we try to simply make a copy of either, the contents do not appear and we can't access them. But if we export the terms and export the TM to a place that is accessible (such as a USB drive), then those exported contents will easily be imported into any term base or TM that you want to import them to, whether a new, empty TM or TB, or added to one that already has contents.

For the TM, go
... See more
I don't know about restoring, or copying term bases or memories successfully. I know that when we try to simply make a copy of either, the contents do not appear and we can't access them. But if we export the terms and export the TM to a place that is accessible (such as a USB drive), then those exported contents will easily be imported into any term base or TM that you want to import them to, whether a new, empty TM or TB, or added to one that already has contents.

For the TM, go to Resource Console, click Translation memories, select the TM you want to export, Export to TMX, and follow directions on the screen. From this same Resource Console screen, you can create a new TM on the new computer like the old one you had and then Import from TMX, choosing the exported file that you just created.

For the term base, do basically the same, but select Term bases, the TB you want, and Export terminology. After creating a new TB on the new computer, Import terminology from that export file you created.

Maybe the other suggestions will work for you, too, but I am only sharing what I know works (and doesn't) for me, and it is easy.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:53
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
The registry Nov 23, 2022

We can't simply copy files, because we risk losing data, as has happened to me many times in the past with all sorts of 'light resources'. memoQ uses central 'repositories' or 'registries' for all each type of resources it uses, and this is what causes the odd behaviour, I believe. When you export resources, they get a special header, which is needed when you try to import them back into the application. If the header is missing, memoQ will say that the resource is corrupt.

So, the
... See more
We can't simply copy files, because we risk losing data, as has happened to me many times in the past with all sorts of 'light resources'. memoQ uses central 'repositories' or 'registries' for all each type of resources it uses, and this is what causes the odd behaviour, I believe. When you export resources, they get a special header, which is needed when you try to import them back into the application. If the header is missing, memoQ will say that the resource is corrupt.

So, the safest option would be to use their new tool, the backup wizard. After relying on Acronis for continuous backup of all my important files for many years, I have decided to remove memoQ files from these backups and use the memoQ wizard for them, just to be on the safe side.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to make backup copies of your Term Bases

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »