Abu Bekr Al-Agib
Abu Bekr Al-Agib  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 13:21
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 26, 2023

I am translating an Arabic file into English. The file includes some numbered lists and when I export the file the list numbers come in Arabic. So, is there any "RULE" to automatically replace Arabic numbering by target language numbering.
Hope I am clear.

[Edited at 2023-01-26 07:46 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Details Jan 26, 2023

Can you make a more specific request? Is it number-only segments? Give some examples please. Is it just 1/2/3/4/5/6 or 1./2./3./4./5./6. or 1.1/2.1/3.1/4.1/5.1.1/6.10.12?
*If you want to replace numbers everywhere without any other conditions, you can simply run the 'Replace all' operation 10 times (0 to 9). Five seconds per each run, fifty seconds in total for all numbers, sooner than typing this comment.

[Edited at 2023-01-26 14:29 GMT]

Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
Local time: 12:21
English to Russian
+ ...
File Format Jan 27, 2023

Hello!

Does this come up only in the exported document, while in memoQ all the numbers look Western Arabic (as in the source)? What is the file format of the document you translate? Could this be due to font substitution? If so, you may check whether this setting is on in the memoQ project.

[Edited at 2023-01-27 09:28 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Eastern Arabic Jan 27, 2023

Kirill Loktionov wrote:
Does this come up only in the exported document, while in memoQ all the numbers look Western Arabic (as in the source)?
I think the TS means Eastern Arabic, not Western. Western Arabic numbers in English is not a problem. However we have to use a crystal ball or our telepathic skills. And the TS seems to have forgotten about their question.

[Edited at 2023-01-27 16:07 GMT]

Abu Bekr Al-Agib
Abu Bekr Al-Agib  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation on memoQ numbered lists Jan 27, 2023

Hi friends,
To make it clear, I have an Arabic file that includes numbered lists. While translating, the numbers of these lists do not show in the Editor View which is normal as memoQ handles them in the background. When I export the translated file I should get the lists numbers in target language (English in this instance) but unfortunately this is not the case; lists numbers come in original source language (Arabic in this case) which adds more tasks to me to covert numbers into target
... See more
Hi friends,
To make it clear, I have an Arabic file that includes numbered lists. While translating, the numbers of these lists do not show in the Editor View which is normal as memoQ handles them in the background. When I export the translated file I should get the lists numbers in target language (English in this instance) but unfortunately this is not the case; lists numbers come in original source language (Arabic in this case) which adds more tasks to me to covert numbers into target language.
Hope this makes the issue clears.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Word Options Jan 27, 2023

Thank you for your clarification. You need to change your MS Word settings.
In MS Word document, go to File > Options > Advanced > Show document content > Numerals > change to Context
After you do that in MS Word, try to export your translation again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lists in memoQ translated file.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »