Anybody actually using MemoQ in a Linux-hosted VM?
Thread poster: Krzysztof Wierzbicki
Krzysztof Wierzbicki
Krzysztof Wierzbicki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:06
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 23, 2023

I'm kind getting tired of dual booting just for memoQ.
Trying to figure out if using a Windows 10/11 Virtual Machine on a host Linux system to run MemoQ makes sense in terms of resources (memory?), stability etc. - I'm willing to give it a try, but have never used Windows as a guest before so maybe I can get an informed/ experience-based opinion first

Any other way to have memoQ on a Linux system? How is Wine d
... See more
I'm kind getting tired of dual booting just for memoQ.
Trying to figure out if using a Windows 10/11 Virtual Machine on a host Linux system to run MemoQ makes sense in terms of resources (memory?), stability etc. - I'm willing to give it a try, but have never used Windows as a guest before so maybe I can get an informed/ experience-based opinion first

Any other way to have memoQ on a Linux system? How is Wine doing in 2023? (gaming support went a long way) Separate Windows PC with VNC-like desktop streaming? (hey, maybe Teams that Windows is autostarting now could finally be useful

(asking here because I want to avoid the advice to just stop using memoQ that some linux-loyal ppl are quick to give
Collapse

Daniel Fernandes

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
YMMV Feb 23, 2023

Don't bother with Wine for running memoQ.

I had tested memoQ in a Windows 10 VM and it works fine. Having plenty of RAM helps.

However, if you're going to use memoQ or another Windows-based solution as your primary CAT tool from inside a VM, I think you'll find the overall experience to be slighty worse than running it from Windows directly.

I wouldn't like to work from a VM most of the time. I find it tolerable only for occasional use, where the bulk of th
... See more
Don't bother with Wine for running memoQ.

I had tested memoQ in a Windows 10 VM and it works fine. Having plenty of RAM helps.

However, if you're going to use memoQ or another Windows-based solution as your primary CAT tool from inside a VM, I think you'll find the overall experience to be slighty worse than running it from Windows directly.

I wouldn't like to work from a VM most of the time. I find it tolerable only for occasional use, where the bulk of the translation is done on a native Linux CAT like CafeTran.

However, YMMV.

My suggestion: if resources allow it, keep the dual booting setup and also install memoQ from a Windows VM on your Linux. Test it and see if the convenience of using memoQ daily from a VM in your Linux distro outweighs the convenience of running it directly from Windows.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
memoQ on Linux Feb 23, 2023

I don't remember where I read it, but memoQ along with Trados would not run on a Linux host (just FYI, you can see the test results for Trados on appdb.winehq.org, no data is available for memoQ). To my knowledge, it's just not possible at the moment.

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

This might help... question mark
https://github.com/HikariKnight/QuickPassthrough

keep the dual booting setup

Yes, until Windows nukes GRUB. IMHO, it's better and safer to isolate Windows on different hardware.

Krzysztof Wierzbicki wrote:

How is Wine doing in 2023? (gaming support went a long way)

Forget Wine, use Proton instead.

(asking here because I want to avoid the advice to just stop using memoQ that some linux-loyal ppl are quick to give

Moi?

[Edited at 2023-02-24 00:50 GMT]

Daniel Fernandes
Daniel Fernandes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:06
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I work like that since 2015... Mar 2, 2023

I've worked like this in Linux Mint (mainly using Mate but also Cinnamon) and Manjaro XFCE. Today, my main OS is Manjaro Plasma (or KDE) and my Windows runs in Virtual Box where I have MemoQ installed. That's the best solution, as MemoQ won't run under Wine/PlayOnLinux... MemoQ is built for Windows. Just remember to enable the Virtualization option on the BIOS. The minimum RAM for this play is 8GB. With an SSD you'll FLY.

I decided to stay with Manjaro because it's Rolling Release,
... See more
I've worked like this in Linux Mint (mainly using Mate but also Cinnamon) and Manjaro XFCE. Today, my main OS is Manjaro Plasma (or KDE) and my Windows runs in Virtual Box where I have MemoQ installed. That's the best solution, as MemoQ won't run under Wine/PlayOnLinux... MemoQ is built for Windows. Just remember to enable the Virtualization option on the BIOS. The minimum RAM for this play is 8GB. With an SSD you'll FLY.

I decided to stay with Manjaro because it's Rolling Release, so I don't need to remove the old system to install the new one. Also, Manjaro is an out-of-the-box and easy-to-use Linux flavor based on Arch Linux. Arch is known for its AUR, and I wanted to have access to the glorious AUR.

Just found this link in MemoQ Page >> https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019437880-Can-i-work-with-memoQ-under-Linux-

I wanted once to write about my experience in working as a linguist using Linux as main OS... but I'm not sure if people would be interested in reading it...

Cheers.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Experience in working as a linguist using Linux as main OS Mar 2, 2023

Daniel Fernandes wrote:

I decided to stay with Manjaro because it's Rolling Release, so I don't need to remove the old system to install the new one. Also, Manjaro is an out-of-the-box and easy-to-use Linux flavor based on Arch Linux. Arch is known for its AUR, and I wanted to have access to the glorious AUR.

Just found this link in MemoQ Page >> https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019437880-Can-i-work-with-memoQ-under-Linux-

I wanted once to write about my experience in working as a linguist using Linux as main OS... but I'm not sure if people would be interested in reading it...

Cheers.

I for one would be interested.

Also,don't know if you've checked out https://www.linuxfortranslators.org/ and https://translateonlinux.org/

Anything you'd like to contribute, be sure to drop me a line!

[Edited at 2023-03-02 16:07 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Interested Mar 2, 2023

That would be interesting.

Mr. Satan (X)
Francesca Ciet

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Sehr Interessiert Mar 3, 2023

@Daniel Fernandes
Please do tell us about it. I am especially interested in your Wayland experience. Been trying to migrate to it myself, but wasn't sure about compatibility with translation-related programs.

I use Arch, BTW.

[Edited at 2023-03-03 00:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody actually using MemoQ in a Linux-hosted VM?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »