Who was the idiot that decided to use ctrl+shift+s for copy source, and how can I change it?
Thread poster: jensskarpe
jensskarpe
jensskarpe  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:11
Member (2013)
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 5, 2023

Hi,
Copy source is maybe the most used commando for translators, so why would anyone use a ctrl+shift commando for that? Even worse is that if you by accident hit ctrl+shift+a (next to s on most keyboards), you automatically copy source for the complete document, which then gets synchronised and cant be cancelled, so you only option is to pretranslated the document again, meaning all will appear as 100% or higher matches. I am convinced that this has happened more than once to many other t
... See more
Hi,
Copy source is maybe the most used commando for translators, so why would anyone use a ctrl+shift commando for that? Even worse is that if you by accident hit ctrl+shift+a (next to s on most keyboards), you automatically copy source for the complete document, which then gets synchronised and cant be cancelled, so you only option is to pretranslated the document again, meaning all will appear as 100% or higher matches. I am convinced that this has happened more than once to many other translators, so if anyone can provide a fix for this it would be appreciated.
Regards, Jens
Collapse

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:11
English to Turkish
F*****g MemoQ Mar 5, 2023

jensskarpe wrote:
I am convinced that this has happened more than once to many other translators, so if anyone can provide a fix for this it would be appreciated.
Regards, Jens

Yes, I can confirm that it has happened to me more than once. I nearly broke my leg once kicking a chair so hard in my frustration after having done just that when working as an in-house. Good thing that my boss didn't hear about it, otherwise she'd have deducted the cost of the chair from my wages...
Sorry, I have no fix for you, other than to say stay away from MemoQ (I quit my in-house job to do that).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Assign your shortcut Mar 5, 2023

I have changed the shortcut to Ctrl+Insert. No prob.
Go to memoQ - Options - Keyboard Shortcuts - Clone the Default settings - Edit the cloned settings - Type 'copy source' - Assign a shortcut of your choice

[Edited at 2023-03-05 17:06 GMT]

jensskarpe
Grigori Gazarian
Claudia Alvis
Svitlana Leshchenko
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Rita Translator

jensskarpe
jensskarpe  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stepan Mar 5, 2023

Thanks Stepan, I will try this.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:11
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Probably the sample people who put Delete and Rename next to each other Mar 5, 2023

in the Windows/File Explorer right-click menu.
But yes, in MemoQ I know the accidental Select-All plus Replace-All all to well.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple enough... Mar 6, 2023

jensskarpe wrote:
Who was the idiot...

In my view, instead of airing your frustration this way, it would have been more practical for you to research about how to change the shortcuts in memoQ. A simple search with something like "how to change shortcuts in memoQ" or "can I change shortcuts in memoQ" takes you to this place in 3 seconds: https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/customize-memoq-shortcuts.html

Stepan Konev
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Platary (X)
Rita Translator
Jean Dimitriadis

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Must be the same person who invented Ctrl+Z Mar 6, 2023

I pressed Ctrl+Shift+A. All segments were selected.
I pressed Ctrl+Shift+S. All source segments were copied to the target. None was confirmed.
I pressed Ctrl+Z. Everything became as it was before I pressed Ctrl+Shift+A.

Rita Translator

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Not for online projects Mar 6, 2023

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
I pressed Ctrl+Z. Everything became as it was before I pressed Ctrl+Shift+A.
Actually you can't use Ctrl+Z when you work in online projects.
Changes are synchornized whenever you leave a segment (with Auto Save), or when you manually command memoQ to synchronize a document.
Now imagine a scenario where you accidentally copy source to target in all translated and confirmed segments and then leave the segment...

[Edited at 2023-03-06 16:18 GMT]

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who was the idiot that decided to use ctrl+shift+s for copy source, and how can I change it?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »