Julieta Llamazares
Julieta Llamazares  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 28, 2021

Hi, all

I’m happy to announce that a new contest has been launched, “Game on”. This contest includes two different source texts in English and Spanish, on the theme of video games for you to choose to translate.

• English source text: Two histories of Myst, by ... See more

Hi, all

I’m happy to announce that a new contest has been launched, “Game on”. This contest includes two different source texts in English and Spanish, on the theme of video games for you to choose to translate.

• English source text: Two histories of Myst, by John-Gabriel Adkins published in medium
  • Spanish source text: Pasado, presente y futuro de los videojuegos a través de ocho generaciones de consolas, by Isidro Ros published in muycomputer

The submission phase will be open until July 19, and you can participate by clicking here.

Best of luck to everyone, and happy translating!
Julieta
Collapse

Ekkachan Isarasenee

Kristina Love
Kristina Love  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Deadline extended in English and Spanish? Jul 20, 2021

For the English to Spanish and Spanish to English contests, I thought today was the deadline. I was excitedly watching the clock countdown with seven minutes to go! Then I went away for a while and came back about 30 minutes later saw that there were now more than 17 hours added to the clock.

I thought submission deadlines were only extended when there weren't at least 3 contestants in a language pair. We have lots more than that in Spanish and English.

Just out of cu
... See more
For the English to Spanish and Spanish to English contests, I thought today was the deadline. I was excitedly watching the clock countdown with seven minutes to go! Then I went away for a while and came back about 30 minutes later saw that there were now more than 17 hours added to the clock.

I thought submission deadlines were only extended when there weren't at least 3 contestants in a language pair. We have lots more than that in Spanish and English.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why more time has been given?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This text Jul 20, 2021

Julieta Llamazares wrote:
  • English source text: Two histories of Myst, by John-Gabriel Adkins published in medium

• This text simply proves yet again that we should ditch that rule about not talking about the source text before the contest deadline. Currently, the only question that the contest answers is "Who was able to correctly figure out what the source text really means?" instead of "Who was able to come up with a good translation of that which the source text really means?".

I imagine some translators would just have dived right in and translated it while guessing at the meaning of the various ambiguous and obtuse elements in the text, and frankly, I don't want to read such translations. The point of a contest should be to find out who can translate the source text the best, and not who can come up with the best piece of creative writing in the target language that was somehow inspired by the source text.

[Edited at 2021-07-20 06:56 GMT]

Julieta Llamazares
    Julieta Llamazares  Identity Verified
    Argentina
    Local time: 13:02
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Deadline extended for a few hours Jul 20, 2021

Hi Kristina, thank you for your interest in ProZ.com contests

I decided to extend the deadline of the submission phase just a few hours since there were a lot of last minute entries coming in and I did not want to leave anyone out. Rest assured that the current phase will end today and the hybrid phase will begin.

Samuel, thank you for your feedback and insightful comments. I will have this in mind while looking for future source texts. Feel free to suggest any text t
    ... See more
    Hi Kristina, thank you for your interest in ProZ.com contests

I decided to extend the deadline of the submission phase just a few hours since there were a lot of last minute entries coming in and I did not want to leave anyone out. Rest assured that the current phase will end today and the hybrid phase will begin.

Samuel, thank you for your feedback and insightful comments. I will have this in mind while looking for future source texts. Feel free to suggest any text that matches this description here.
    Collapse

Kristina Love

Kristina Love
    United States
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    Thank you, Julieta. :) Jul 20, 2021

Okay, that makes sense. I thought it might be something like that. I think that's a great idea to let more participate if a lot of entries were still coming in.

Samuel: I don't think I understood your comment, i.e., I didn't understand why the text chosen is a bad choice or why it isn't effective as a test of translating ability. I feel this is related to some context I should understand but don't. I'm afraid you're talking over my head. I'm missing something. Could you explain
    ... See more
    Okay, that makes sense. I thought it might be something like that. I think that's a great idea to let more participate if a lot of entries were still coming in.

Samuel: I don't think I understood your comment, i.e., I didn't understand why the text chosen is a bad choice or why it isn't effective as a test of translating ability. I feel this is related to some context I should understand but don't. I'm afraid you're talking over my head. I'm missing something. Could you explain what you meant, or could someone else who understands explain it if Samuel is busy?
    Collapse

Tatiana Simonova

Kristina Love
    United States
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    @Samuel Jul 22, 2021

I think now I see what you are saying, let me try to paraphrase you and see if this is correct:

You're saying we should be allowed to discuss texts with other translators prior to the contest, so that everyone is starting with a basically correct understanding of what the source text means. You'd rather see a contest where all the entries are at least starting from that point, so that more attention can be paid to the finer details of translation, instead of having to wade through m
    ... See more
    I think now I see what you are saying, let me try to paraphrase you and see if this is correct:

You're saying we should be allowed to discuss texts with other translators prior to the contest, so that everyone is starting with a basically correct understanding of what the source text means. You'd rather see a contest where all the entries are at least starting from that point, so that more attention can be paid to the finer details of translation, instead of having to wade through many entries that may have blatant mistranslations. Is that correct?

If so, I see where you're coming from, and especially, I can see how this would make the contest much more attractive for more advanced/experienced translators, and raise the bar overall.

At the same time, isn't a core competency of translation the ability to accurately grasp the meaning of the source without a whole bunch of help from other people? It doesn't seem like there's anything stopping the great translators from joining in and making it really interesting. If it's too tedious to grade entries, you don't have to do it - you can just wait until the finals phase to take a peek.
    Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New translation contest "Game on"

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »