Resources: templates for certificates etc
Thread poster: Silvia Martinez Waterhouse
Silvia Martinez Waterhouse
Silvia Martinez Waterhouse
Local time: 10:53
French to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2023

Hi, recently sworn in to do certified translations. I normally try to keep the formatting of the birth certificates etc but just did one which proved to be very difficult to keep... I do English/ French. I was recently told that some work with templates, which would make life much easier but unable to source any legit ones. Any help would be appreciated.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:53
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Silvia Mar 6, 2023

I’m no longer a sworn translator (there are no sworn translators in Portugal), but I was one when I was living in Belgium. I have never worked with templates as the source documents may vary. Anyway, that’s what I used to do:

1. Present the translation as close to the original as possible including fonts, font sizes, etc., but without any copy paste of the source (in some countries when you copy the exact format of the original it can be seen as a forgery).
2. Use square b
... See more
I’m no longer a sworn translator (there are no sworn translators in Portugal), but I was one when I was living in Belgium. I have never worked with templates as the source documents may vary. Anyway, that’s what I used to do:

1. Present the translation as close to the original as possible including fonts, font sizes, etc., but without any copy paste of the source (in some countries when you copy the exact format of the original it can be seen as a forgery).
2. Use square brackets to indicate signatures, logos, photos, stamps, marks, security features or any text in foreign language.

Some countries have laws/regulations on the translation of documents for official purposes, but many don't…
Hope this helps!
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:53
English to French
+ ...
MYOT Mar 6, 2023

= Make Your Own Tamplate

I make my own templates.

I use Word tables, no more than one or two rows at a time, with the appropriate number of columns, all such tables separate on the page.

I remove the paragraph breaks when I am satisfied that all rows are formatted as needed, and have a table matching the document format.

Since Office 2010, table structure in Word has been extremely solid (unlike earlier versions), cells and columns can be split
... See more
= Make Your Own Tamplate

I make my own templates.

I use Word tables, no more than one or two rows at a time, with the appropriate number of columns, all such tables separate on the page.

I remove the paragraph breaks when I am satisfied that all rows are formatted as needed, and have a table matching the document format.

Since Office 2010, table structure in Word has been extremely solid (unlike earlier versions), cells and columns can be split/merged as desired, repeatedly if necessary, without crashing the program.

Using tables is VASTLY superior than using paragraphs, columns, or otherwise using Word as a typewriter.

Such formatted documents can then be saved as templates. Not that it is much use with US vital records, which seem to change every few years for each municipality, and are generally very complex tables.

Silvia Martinez Waterhouse wrote:

Hi, recently sworn in to do certified translations. I normally try to keep the formatting of the birth certificates etc but just did one which proved to be very difficult to keep... I do English/ French. I was recently told that some work with templates, which would make life much easier but unable to source any legit ones. Any help would be appreciated.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Peter Dahm Robertson
Katrin Braams
Goumiri Abdennour
Enza Esposito Degli Agli

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resources: templates for certificates etc

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »