MemoQ on a new computer
Thread poster: Vivien Green
Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Jul 21, 2015

I've contacted Kilgray support but I'm not sure how long they'll take to get back to me and I'm trying to sort out another issue with them at the moment too.

I have MemoQ installed on two laptops; my main one and a backup computer. I'm having issues with both though and may buy a new laptop but I'm not sure if I would then have to buy MemoQ again or how it works? Or can I just delete if from one pc and install it on another?

Marc Cordes
Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:40
English to German
+ ...
:-) Jul 21, 2015

I have done many, many, MANY installations and as long as you don't have 2 machines with the same serial (e.g. 001 or 002) running on MemoQ you should not experience any problems at all. I have my main PC running on 001 and a very old laptop on 002. Both have been freshly installed multiple times since I started using the professional version. Just make sure to do a thorough backup of all your resources before you "kill" the old bucket... See more
I have done many, many, MANY installations and as long as you don't have 2 machines with the same serial (e.g. 001 or 002) running on MemoQ you should not experience any problems at all. I have my main PC running on 001 and a very old laptop on 002. Both have been freshly installed multiple times since I started using the professional version. Just make sure to do a thorough backup of all your resources before you "kill" the old bucket

Hope that helps!

*Edited for typos*

[Edited at 2015-07-21 21:58 GMT]
Collapse

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
Local time: 18:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Easy Jul 22, 2015

Just backup everything, delete memoQ and reinstall it. Insert old license key (with 001 or 002) and activate it online as usual. It should start working.

If previous installation with the same license number is alive (on another machine), it should be deactivated after some period of time, if it will be connected to Internet.

Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 20, 2015

This is great practical advice, I really appreciate it. I've struggled on with my old laptop until now but have finally decided I definitely need a new one. I'm considering a Mac now, not sure if that will affect whether I can use my current MemoQ licence. I may have to start a new thread in another section?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ on a new computer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »