Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:57
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Target-side concordance can be useful Oct 18, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Also, searching in target is a generally uncommon situation. When you put a term in target, that means you already know how to translate it. You have a source term, you have a target term.

Searching on the target side can be useful. One of the best and unique features of Star Transit is Dual Fuzzy, which performs automatic concordance on the target side, helping you to write extremely consistent texts (see: https://www.star-ts.com/transit/dual-fuzzy/). This is a feature I would very much like to see in memoQ, because its current subsegment leverage is way behind the times and quite inaccurate and unhelpful. Even Trados comes up with better fragment suggestions while you're typing.

If only they could show some love to the actual translation aspect of their tool instead of all the preparatory and managerial and reporting aspects, which only enterprises use... But hey, that's where the big money is, right? I should be happy for them.

Elisa Martinez-Aznar
Elisa Martinez-Aznar  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It would be really useful to have the option to configure the default as we normally use it Oct 18, 2022

In over a decade using MemoQ as a translator, I have hardly ever used the "search in target". Instead, most of the time I'll be typing my translation in the target segment when I need to look for a term in the source text. I normally use the shortcut to invoke the concordance window (Ctrl+K), and then quickly type whatever it is I'm looking for. With the new version of the software, when I invoke the concordance, it defaults to "search in target", because my cursor is in the target segment. This... See more
In over a decade using MemoQ as a translator, I have hardly ever used the "search in target". Instead, most of the time I'll be typing my translation in the target segment when I need to look for a term in the source text. I normally use the shortcut to invoke the concordance window (Ctrl+K), and then quickly type whatever it is I'm looking for. With the new version of the software, when I invoke the concordance, it defaults to "search in target", because my cursor is in the target segment. This means that I have to reach for my mouse to change the option to "search in source". Alternatively, I need to stop typing, reach for my mouse to click on the source segment, and then invoke the concordance window. In either case, it adds extra steps, and therefore it decreases productivity.

Having the concordance search always open in the background will not solve this issue. You still need to reach for the mouse to click on the concordance window to type the term that you are looking for. You cannot even toggle from the main project home window and the concordance window. It doesn't work that way, I've tried. In my case, I always try to use keyboard shortcuts as much as I can to increase productivity. Reaching for your mouse slows down the process.

I assume that this feature has been created with corporations in mind, not translators. The way it worked before made much more sense from a user standpoint. If, as a translator, I need to "search in source" most of the time while I'm typing in the target segment, but the software gives me "search in target" most of the time, then there is a big mismatch between user behaviour and what the software actually offers.

At the very least, I expect to be offered the option to configure this feature as it suits my way of working best, but sadly that's not the case with this new version of the software.

I have already raised this point with Kilgray, but judging by their response, I doubt that they'll do anything about it unless enough people raise this issue (i.e., by sending a message to [email protected] to start with).
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Cursor is in the search box by default Oct 18, 2022

Elisa Martinez-Aznar wrote:

With the new version of the software, when I invoke the concordance, it defaults to "search in target", because my cursor is in the target segment.

I have just tried: I was in a target segment, I pressed Ctrl+K and the Concordance window came up with the cursor already blinking in the search box. By pressing Alt+U I enabled "Select in source" without reaching for the mouse.

Also, to go back to the search box without grabbing the mouse, you can always press Alt+O.

(In general, when you hold down the Alt key, some letters get underlined in the various graphical elements. By pressing that letter—while still having Alt pressed—you activate the corresponding element. Those are known as "access keys" and are a favourite of mine in Windows applications, exactly because they minimise they need for clicking around.)

Perhaps the above could help as temporary relief.

[Edited at 2022-10-18 16:28 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Alt+U Oct 18, 2022

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
By pressing Alt+U I enabled "Select in source" without reaching for the mouse.
̶W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶c̶u̶t̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶s̶.̶ But even if it worked, it is one more additional step anyway. As for me, I used searching in target only once when I tried how it works, but it never was of any use to me.

Update: Weirdly, when I tried again, Alt+U worked this time. But still I didn't have to press it before. Now I have to do so. Another superfluous move.

[Edited at 2022-10-18 17:01 GMT]

Elisa Martinez-Aznar

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
memoQ can do translation review, too Oct 19, 2022

Just a quick reminder that many people use memoQ to review other people's translations. In this case, target-side concordance is a must. So, it's not a rare use case for people who work not only as translators but also as reviewers.

Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
Local time: 13:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Search in Target is Good Oct 19, 2022

Hi,

I lacked the option of automatic switch to concordance search in target in memoQ as I used in Trados before and am glad it is included now due to constant checks of translated text in TM. I cannot understand why people seek for translation from a target field instead of a source one. Is it an extra click of a mouse that distracts you? Because after that, you still need a mouse to select a text in the concordance window to insert it. Though I support this new feature of memoQ I
... See more
Hi,

I lacked the option of automatic switch to concordance search in target in memoQ as I used in Trados before and am glad it is included now due to constant checks of translated text in TM. I cannot understand why people seek for translation from a target field instead of a source one. Is it an extra click of a mouse that distracts you? Because after that, you still need a mouse to select a text in the concordance window to insert it. Though I support this new feature of memoQ I would suggest that it was an option setting for translators to choose which one to use. Is there some kind of petition for it?
Collapse

Elisa Martinez-Aznar
Elisa Martinez-Aznar  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Search in target" is not my most used option even when I do proofreading Oct 21, 2022

I do a fair bit of proofreading/reviewing (in fact, 60% of my workload nowadays is proofreading), and I have to say, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've used "search in target". The vast majority of the time, I'll be searching in the source language to see how a word has been translated in the past to keep terminological consistency. I'm not saying that "search in target" is not needed, but it definitely shouldn't be the default. The most common behaviour should be rewarded wit... See more
I do a fair bit of proofreading/reviewing (in fact, 60% of my workload nowadays is proofreading), and I have to say, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've used "search in target". The vast majority of the time, I'll be searching in the source language to see how a word has been translated in the past to keep terminological consistency. I'm not saying that "search in target" is not needed, but it definitely shouldn't be the default. The most common behaviour should be rewarded with least amount of keystrokes.

As it stands, even if I use those shortcuts, it will go as follows:

Ctrl+K -> Alt+U -> Alt+O -> start typing

When, before, it was simply:

Ctrl+K -> start typing

That to me seems like a huge loss in productivity. When I'm translating, I use the concordance feature almost constantly (not only to keep terminological consistency, but to find inspiration of how I've solved certain problems in the past or what turns of phrases I have used previously that will improve the translation stylistically). Even the smallest amount of time wasted on extra keystrokes adds up at the end of the day. Less output = less income.
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Your loss, some else's gain Oct 21, 2022

Your loss in productivity might be someone else's gain. For me and people who work the same way I do, this is a gain in productivity and an intuitive behaviour.

So, let's not be absolute. These things are relative. The way for software to cater for subjectivity and relativity is by providing a rich set of options. This includes providing a way to keep the old way of doing things when introducing a breaking change—unless of course a change is mandated by a change in an API or the .
... See more
Your loss in productivity might be someone else's gain. For me and people who work the same way I do, this is a gain in productivity and an intuitive behaviour.

So, let's not be absolute. These things are relative. The way for software to cater for subjectivity and relativity is by providing a rich set of options. This includes providing a way to keep the old way of doing things when introducing a breaking change—unless of course a change is mandated by a change in an API or the .NET framework etc.

(This whole thing reminds me of the Shift+F3 situation. The initial behaviour of moving the cursor to the beginning of the next word after using Shift+F3 to change the case of a word was the best option of me. But a lot of people complained in the Yahoo forum and Kilgray changed the behaviour, so now the cursor stays at the beginning of the current word—in reality, it moves to the start of the next word and swiftly jumps to the start of the current one, which I find annoying.)
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Win-win with Trados Oct 21, 2022

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
Your loss, some else's gain
Unlike memoQ, Trados has two shortcuts: F3 and Ctrl+F3. When you hit a shortcut from target, F3 will search target and Ctrl+F3 will search source. In my opinion, both 'improvements' (Shift+F3 behavior and concordance search in target by default) are not efficient. I like memoQ very much, but sometimes they know how to surprise...

[Edited at 2022-10-21 19:56 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
I know Oct 22, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Unlike memoQ, Trados has two shortcuts: F3 and Ctrl+F3. When you hit a shortcut from target, F3 will search target and Ctrl+F3 will search source.[Edited at 2022-10-21 19:56 GMT]

Yes, I am aware of that and wrote it earlier as a suggested solution that would benefit everyone.
These days, after having worked with most tools, what I like the most about memoQ is their file filters. Outside of that, there is not much to like. All their efforts have been directed to enterprise tools for many years now.

[Edited at 2022-10-22 04:43 GMT]

Letra
Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:57
English to Polish
+ ...
Less efficient Nov 22, 2022

I must admit that for me 2 shortcuts would also be more convenient. Every time I have to reach for a mouse or use another key combination is a waste of time. We should focus on our work not tools. I am not a developer but adding one more shortcut does not seem very difficult.

Another thing I don't understand is why memoQ allows to update only 2 translation memories in a project (working and master). If you have more TMs you want to update, you have to do it manually.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Inconsistencies Nov 22, 2022

Well, memoQ is not what it used to be.

Recently, they changed the term "Master entry" used in TM editing, so that it is now called the "Main entry". But, they still use the term "Master TM" as opposed to "Working TM".

Also, they changed the behaviour of concordance searches, but they forgot to do the same for term searches, which still use the old way of doing things—you have to select a check box in order to search on the target side.

Finally, when an or
... See more
Well, memoQ is not what it used to be.

Recently, they changed the term "Master entry" used in TM editing, so that it is now called the "Main entry". But, they still use the term "Master TM" as opposed to "Working TM".

Also, they changed the behaviour of concordance searches, but they forgot to do the same for term searches, which still use the old way of doing things—you have to select a check box in order to search on the target side.

Finally, when an orange hit (LSC hit) appears without a translation, you are supposed to press Ctrl + the number assigned to it in the Translation Results pane in order to see candidate translations for this phrase in the concordance window. When you use this shortcut, you are certainly on the target side, so memoQ tries to search for an empty string, which consistently yields a blank list of concordance hits... If this is not half-baked, I don't know what is.

Things like the above give the impression that they only do a token effort when it comes to their desktop product. They only do the absolute minimum so that they can claim with each update that they did *something* about the desktop tool, even if it is badly or inconsistently implemented.

[Edited at 2022-11-22 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

change default settings for concordance search in memoq 9.12

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »