Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
Local time: 13:23
German to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 25, 2022

hi folks,

when you search for a word (with the CTRL+K shortcut) in the target segment, the concordance window opens and shows only the results (if any) for a search in the TARGET texts for the word. You must click on the "search in source" option to repeat the search in the source texts.
Can you change (finetune) the settings of memoQ somehow, so that the key shortcut searches in the source instead of the target?
And maybe you can also change the default setting of the
... See more
hi folks,

when you search for a word (with the CTRL+K shortcut) in the target segment, the concordance window opens and shows only the results (if any) for a search in the TARGET texts for the word. You must click on the "search in source" option to repeat the search in the source texts.
Can you change (finetune) the settings of memoQ somehow, so that the key shortcut searches in the source instead of the target?
And maybe you can also change the default setting of the "Three column view" to the "Source+taget" view while we are at it??

thanks for your help in advance!

regards,

Omer Maras
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
"search in source" selection Aug 25, 2022

Hi Ömer,

As far as I remember the 'Search in source' setting is selected 'automatically' when you run a concordance search in the source text. When you run a concordance search for some target text, then 'Search in target' is selected. If you want to search for a target text in the source (or vice-versa), then you need to change that manually, as the software wouldn't 'know' what you want to accomplish.

Hung Mai
Hung Mai
Vietnam
Local time: 17:23
English to Vietnamese
It's always "Search in source" for me when I press Ctrl+K... Aug 26, 2022

...whether I'm in source or target column. The "search in target" option must be checked manually, like the illustration image in this post:
https://docs.memoq.com/9-8/en/Places/concordance.html

@Ömer: is the "search in target" option checked in your case?

Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
version 9.12 is the culprit Aug 26, 2022

hi folks
this started to happen after I updated to version 9.12 - I got fed up and downgraded to version 9.10 and now it works as normal (source text is searched as default, selecting "search in target" is checkable option)

Elisa Martinez-Aznar

Elisa Martinez-Aznar
Elisa Martinez-Aznar  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:23
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am having this same issue with version 9.12 of MemoQ Oct 7, 2022

I am having the same issue as Omer since I upgraded to 9.12. Whenever I invoke the concordance search in MemoQ, it now searches in the target segment, unless I click the "Search in source" box. This add extra time to the process. As translators, I think that we're more likely to want to use the concordance search in the source language rather than the target language, so I think that option should come as default. Or, at least, there should be a way to configure it to our preference.

... See more
I am having the same issue as Omer since I upgraded to 9.12. Whenever I invoke the concordance search in MemoQ, it now searches in the target segment, unless I click the "Search in source" box. This add extra time to the process. As translators, I think that we're more likely to want to use the concordance search in the source language rather than the target language, so I think that option should come as default. Or, at least, there should be a way to configure it to our preference.

I've never had this issue before, and I have been using MemoQ for 15 years. Has anyone found a fix for this?
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
This is not a bug Oct 7, 2022

This is not a bug, but deliberate behaviour introduced in memoQ 9.12. Here is the description:
Concordance from the translation editor: automatically detect source/target
When you open and run concordance from the translation grid, memoQ now automatically detects whether the specific segment appears in the source or the target text. Moreover, the Search in Target tickbox has been replaced by the Source and Target radio buttons, which also switch auto... See more
This is not a bug, but deliberate behaviour introduced in memoQ 9.12. Here is the description:
When you open and run concordance from the translation grid, memoQ now automatically detects whether the specific segment appears in the source or the target text. Moreover, the Search in Target tickbox has been replaced by the Source and Target radio buttons, which also switch automatically when you open concordance from the grid, thereby clearly communicating exactly where concordance is performed.

Source: https://www.memoq.com/memoq-versions/hello-memoq-9-12

[Edited at 2022-10-07 10:43 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ideation portal Oct 7, 2022

There is a portal where you can propose your idea to fix this behavior. I can't do it for well known reasons, but you can. Also, if you use AHK, you can run this script:
===
#IfWinActive ahk_exe memoq.exe
!2::
Send, ^k
Sleep, 500
Send, {TAB 9}
Send, {Left}
Send, {Enter}
===
When this script is active, selecting a target word and pre
... See more
There is a portal where you can propose your idea to fix this behavior. I can't do it for well known reasons, but you can. Also, if you use AHK, you can run this script:
===
#IfWinActive ahk_exe memoq.exe
!2::
Send, ^k
Sleep, 500
Send, {TAB 9}
Send, {Left}
Send, {Enter}
===
When this script is active, selecting a target word and pressing Alt+2 will run* the Concordance search with the source radio button selected. You can add the script to the Startup folder: press Win+R, type shell:startup, press Enter or click OK, then drag and drop the ahk script file itself or the ahk script file shortcut (even better).

*You can change the Alt+2 shortcut by editing the !2:: string.
Character ! stands for Alt; ^ for Ctrl; # for Win; + for Shift.
Or use any combination thereof (for example ^+2:: means pressing Ctrl+Shift+2).
If you want Ctrl+Alt+1 to run the script, then type ^!1:: in the second line of the script.

[Edited at 2022-10-08 14:27 GMT]
Collapse

Elisa Martinez-Aznar
Elisa Martinez-Aznar  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:23
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In my view, it is a bug Oct 17, 2022

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

When you open and run concordance from the translation grid, memoQ now automatically detects whether the specific segment appears in the source or the target text. Moreover, the Search in Target tickbox has been replaced by the Source and Target radio buttons, which also switch automatically when you open concordance from the grid, thereby clearly communicating exactly where concordance is performed.

Source: https://www.memoq.com/memoq-versions/hello-memoq-9-12

[Edited at 2022-10-07 10:43 GMT]

In my view, this is indeed a bug. From a practical standpoint, it makes no sense to default to "search in target" when the cursor is in the target segment. Most of the time, I will be typing my translation (therefore in the target segment) when I need to look for something in the translation memory. It makes no sense to have to navigate to the source segment (having to reach for my mouse), click on it, and then invoke the concordance window. The alternative is to invoke the concordance window, and then grab my mouse to click on the right radio button to switch to "search in source". Again, that's an extra step, which means time and loss of productivity. In my humble opinion, it makes no sense. In my view, that's not taking into account how translators would be really using this feature most of the time.

I see a loss in productivity because of this. At least, there should be an option to choose the default of the concordance search. If a new feature significantly impairs the workflow of the user of the software, I think it should be considered as a bug, personally. I feel that we are too complacent sometimes.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
To bug or not to bug Oct 17, 2022

Actually it does not matter whether you call it a bug or a deliberate behaviour. Whatever you call it, it reduces your productivity. In most cases translators copy source to target and the most efficient way is to search in source from target. This behaviour is harmful indeed.

Elisa Martinez-Aznar

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:23
Member (2016)
English to German
feature, not a bug Oct 17, 2022

Select a term in the source column -> concordance searches the source side of the TM.
Select a term in the target column -> concordance searches the target side of the TM.

Seems like the perfect solution to me; I don't understand why this would result in a productivity loss.

In order to concordance-search a term, you have to select the term with the mouse anyway (and my target column never contains any source terms -- it either contains a target TM hit, or MT, or
... See more
Select a term in the source column -> concordance searches the source side of the TM.
Select a term in the target column -> concordance searches the target side of the TM.

Seems like the perfect solution to me; I don't understand why this would result in a productivity loss.

In order to concordance-search a term, you have to select the term with the mouse anyway (and my target column never contains any source terms -- it either contains a target TM hit, or MT, or nothing, depending on the project).
Collapse

Kirill Loktionov

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Irrational behavior Oct 17, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:
This is exactly what is wrong. 99% of my working time I spend in target segments. I copy all source into target and when I come across a problem term that I want to search, my cursor is in the target segment. I have to switch to the source segment or change the radio button. It takes time and impairs my productivity. That is why I had to write an AHK script.

In order to concordance-search a term, you have to select the term with the mouse anyway
This is only one scenario among others. As for me, I do my best to avoid using the mouse. I prefer to transfer source to target with Ctrl+Insert and then translate but not use the mouse for selecting words.
Also you may want to search a term that is not present in the source nor in the target segment. This is scenario 2 when you have to switch to the source segment.
And I have already described scenario 3 above.
Also, searching in target is a generally uncommon situation. When you put a term in target, that means you already know how to translate it. You have a source term, you have a target term. What else you suppose to find there?

[Edited at 2022-10-18 08:03 GMT]

Elisa Martinez-Aznar

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:23
Member (2016)
English to German
different ways of working Oct 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
I prefer to transfer source to target with Ctrl+Insert

I see. I do not work this way, but I agree that a CAT tool should offer a setting for your way of working.

As an aside, may I ask what advantages you see in populating the target with the source? You have to select and delete/replace the text -- isn't that a superfluous step?

Stepan Konev wrote:
Also, searching in target is a generally uncommon situation.

True, but it happens.
I often work on large game projects where there are several translators feeding the TM.
I sometimes need to check if a target term has been used before, or in what context(s) it has been used, or how it was spelled exactly in previous usage.

Kirill Loktionov

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Select and delete/replace Oct 17, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:
As an aside, may I ask what advantages you see in populating the target with the source? You have to select and delete/replace the text -- isn't that a superfluous step?
No, you don't have to do that. You can just press a shortcut that selects, deletes and replaces the text for you. This is an advantage itself. Furthermore, you can populate all segments even before you start translation or at any moment after you have started it. For example, you pretranslate, you apply MT, then you go with your translation. At some point you understand that MT fails and you have to translate a segment from scratch. You simply press a shortcut to insert the source text. If it has dates or numbers or nontranslatable titles, they will be there. You don't have to reach to your mouse, select, copy, paste, and do other really superfluous things. It works both for nontranslatables and for regular words too: with one single shortcut you have all the source words at hand so that you can search them at any time. This is where that stupid feature or bug comes into play. In previous versions you had that advantage, but not now.
You didn't need to select serial numbers or dates or other non-translatables. You did't need to switch from source to target to merely select a word. It saved much time. That is why other fellow translators raise this question.

[Edited at 2022-10-17 21:50 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Still not a bug Oct 18, 2022

If it is documented behaviour, i.e. expected behaviour, then it is not a bug, but a feature.

It is very easy to move from source to target in memoQ: you need to press Tab, not F6 as in Trados. So, this new behaviour should not cause much trouble.

However, since people work in different ways, it would be nice to have new shortcuts. We would need the equivalents of F3 and Ctrl+F3 in Trados: F3 performs a concordance search against source or target, depending on where your
... See more
If it is documented behaviour, i.e. expected behaviour, then it is not a bug, but a feature.

It is very easy to move from source to target in memoQ: you need to press Tab, not F6 as in Trados. So, this new behaviour should not cause much trouble.

However, since people work in different ways, it would be nice to have new shortcuts. We would need the equivalents of F3 and Ctrl+F3 in Trados: F3 performs a concordance search against source or target, depending on where your cursor is; Ctrl+F3 always searches against the source, no matter on which side your cursor is.

(As an added bonus to people who work by copying source to target, it would be nice to also have the equivalent of Ctrl+Shift+D, which deletes all text until the next tag.)

[Edited at 2022-10-18 10:40 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Concordance without having selected anything Oct 18, 2022

Elisa Martinez-Aznar wrote:
Most of the time, I will be typing my translation (therefore in the target segment) when I need to look for something in the translation memory.

So, if I've got this right, you don't select text before performing a concordance search. You just open the Concordance Search window and type what you need to search. In your scenario, all you would need is for the Concordance Search window to not be modal, which means that it stays in the foreground until it is closed. This way, you could switch between the Translation Editor window and the Concordance Search window, in the same way you can with the Web Search window.

Or, you would need a check box next to an option called "Remember search side", similar to the "Remember" button that appears on the Go To dialog box.

Would any of the above work for you?

[Edited at 2022-10-18 11:12 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

change default settings for concordance search in memoq 9.12

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »