Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:29
German to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2014

Hi,

The original I 'm working with has some symbols that I can't find, so when I come to a segment with these symbols I wanted to copy the original (funny symbols and all) into the translation side.

Is there an icon/ a way of copying the original and putting it into the translation side ... As in, I know there must be an icon, but I can't seem to find it.

Regards,
Anu

Monika Sommerfeld
Monika Sommerfeld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:29
Member (2009)
English to German
Copy whole segment? Jul 7, 2014

Hi Anu,
Have you tried copying the whole segment? Whenever there is some code or tag in the original, I try to copy the entire segment into my translation and then simply delete the source text and replace it with my translation. It is definitely not the most efficient way to do it, but my motto is to never mess with the source code!
Monika

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Copy source Jul 7, 2014

Like Monica said: copy the entire source. I can't check it now, but I think it's Alt+Page Down.

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 7, 2014

Thanks so much Renée and Monica...

I even have a mouse pad with all the Across keyboard combinations on it- never thought of looking at it ...

Anu

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
icon found Jul 9, 2014

Just found the icon that copies the source text- a green downward pointing arrow just above the area where the translation is typed in

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy original icon

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »