Off topic: 007 ... licensed to kill ... microbes?
Thread poster: Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2006

I have to share this one with you, folkZ.

I'm doing a translation for a chair company and they're trying to be swanky and do a chair timeline ... you know:
"1900 - as Charles Rennie Mackintosh designs the whatever chair, the Russian Revolution gets off to a flying start"

Except that in the 1920s, we have van der Rohe, Bauhaus and ***IAN Fleming*** discovering penicillin.... and would that be the plot for "You only live twice" (subtitle "If you take the antibiotics
... See more
I have to share this one with you, folkZ.

I'm doing a translation for a chair company and they're trying to be swanky and do a chair timeline ... you know:
"1900 - as Charles Rennie Mackintosh designs the whatever chair, the Russian Revolution gets off to a flying start"

Except that in the 1920s, we have van der Rohe, Bauhaus and ***IAN Fleming*** discovering penicillin.... and would that be the plot for "You only live twice" (subtitle "If you take the antibiotics")????

Oh well, let's see what happens in the 1930s ....

Angela

[Edited at 2006-01-31 20:02]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ha ha! Jan 31, 2006

Very funny Angela:-)

I came across something similar recently, in a PUBLISHED book no less, about Pedro Almodovar, in Spanish.

Anyway, this author, expert on film, or at least, expert on Almodovar, and therefore with pretensions to cultural knowledge, confused Bloomsday with Bloomsbury.

When he was obviously referring to Virginia Woolf and the bluestockings, on 2 occasions he referred to the Bloomsday group...

Bloomsday is, in fact, Ju
... See more
Very funny Angela:-)

I came across something similar recently, in a PUBLISHED book no less, about Pedro Almodovar, in Spanish.

Anyway, this author, expert on film, or at least, expert on Almodovar, and therefore with pretensions to cultural knowledge, confused Bloomsday with Bloomsbury.

When he was obviously referring to Virginia Woolf and the bluestockings, on 2 occasions he referred to the Bloomsday group...

Bloomsday is, in fact, June the 16th, James Joyce day in Ireland:-)
Collapse

Alfredo Tutino
Alfredo Tutino  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
The plot thickens! Jan 31, 2006

And we should not forget that "Ian" Fleming he shared the credit (and the Nobel Prize) with a BORIS Ernst Chain - of Russian parentage...

"From Russia with(out) bugs"

And, eventually, a lot of GOLD came to all those who had a FINGER in the pie...

(And we shouldn't forget Graham Greene's "Third Man"...)

I'm sure there must be something fishy about these moulds, you know...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

007 ... licensed to kill ... microbes?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »