Ramunas Kontrimas
Ramunas Kontrimas  Identity Verified
Litva
Local time: 01:52
angličtina -> litevština
+ ...
Jan 3, 2019

Hi,

A first-time translation client appears to be not willing to pay after 4 months, numerous reminders and a few promises to pay. It is a communications firm in Norway. Does anyone here have any experience with debt collection in Norway?

Thanks

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Španělsko
Local time: 00:52
Člen (2017)
angličtina -> norština
+ ...
Debt collection Jan 3, 2019

You can start to threaten with inkasso (debt collection) unless you receive payment within 14 days. After that period you will have to contact a debt collection agency. Costs will accumulate for the debtor if the process continues, and will run up to 500 eur in a few months. The good thing is that the debtor should pay all the collection costs.

The only doubt I have is that the debtor might say that the claim is invalid. If that is the case, you need to prove it (P.O./mail etc.)... See more
You can start to threaten with inkasso (debt collection) unless you receive payment within 14 days. After that period you will have to contact a debt collection agency. Costs will accumulate for the debtor if the process continues, and will run up to 500 eur in a few months. The good thing is that the debtor should pay all the collection costs.

The only doubt I have is that the debtor might say that the claim is invalid. If that is the case, you need to prove it (P.O./mail etc.)

https://hjelp.conta.no/inkassoskolen/saksgang-inkasso-mot-bedrifter/
Collapse

Armine Abelyan
Armine Abelyan
Arménie
Local time: 02:52
angličtina -> arménština
+ ...
Translations.am - non payment issue Jan 3, 2019

Well, I would advise you first to address official letter to their company.
If you have a PO (purchase order) attach all paper and emails, communication..attach all that papers to your official letter as a proof.

I hope this could help you and this non payment happen to all of us - working distantly ...

[Edited at 2019-01-03 11:18 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Local time: 23:52
Člen (2007)
angličtina
+ ...
In general terms, a final demand is always a good idea Jan 3, 2019

Armine Abelyan wrote:
Well, I would advise you first to address official letter to their company.
If you have a PO (purchase order) attach all paper and emails, communication..attach all that papers to your official letter as a proof.

You've had some good Norway-specific help, but this step above is always good to have under your belt. You can find all sorts of help for wording a final demand on the web. Make it short, to the point, and formal: you ordered; I supplied; you need to pay nnn.nn by xx/xx/xxxx or else!

It needs to be written on actual paper and sent to their registered address by registered post so that you get back proof of delivery. That signature (or non-acceptance slip) is your proof that they knew about the debt at that date, so they can't turn round in court and say their email address had been hacked, etc.

It sounds as though the system works well in Norway, so hopefully it will work for you.

Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Ramunas Kontrimas
Ramunas Kontrimas  Identity Verified
Litva
Local time: 01:52
angličtina -> litevština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Thanks for advice Jan 8, 2019

They've ignored my last emails and SMS, so I'm turning to a debt collection agency now. Hope, I can resolve it somehow.
I don't have a proper PO, just an email confirmation of the rate, go-ahead and receipt of my translation and invoice.
Thank you all for support

[Edited at 2019-01-08 12:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collection in Norway

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »