Local time: 01:08
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
When there's a need Feb 17

ibz wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

600 USD may suffice.

Doesn't make it right, though. It's like telling someone we're going to pay you peanuts, but in return, we let you work 80 instead of 40 hours a week.

If you're working non-stop for nothing, you might make 600 USD, but you won't have time to build up a strong client base (yes, I know that this is not easy!) and I dare say that the quality of your work is not going to improve.

And not to forget: If you've got a client supplying you with huge volumes (at low prices), you're going to be very much depending on them. Everyone can figure out what this might lead to.

I understand your concern, and the consequences you mentioned above. But people who offer these kinds of crappy jobs know that there's always someone who will take the job. That's why these kinds of job offers never fade away. Of course, this doesn't justify offering peanuts to desperate ones, and like you said, doesn't make a right.

P.L.F. Persio
ibz

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 11:08
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
I agree Feb 17

Rachel Waddington wrote: The real problem is that the way we work as translators isolates us and puts us in a weak negotiating position.

I agree. I actually used the term "isolated" and its concept in the first round here, years ago. And the limited roles we have had. Isolation and industry secrecy.
It's also the habits - translators got used to "waiting for someone to pick them up" like workers at street corners.
At any rate, there is no market factor currently working in our favor. We're not the only ones of course.

Magnus Rubensson
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Next-level LSP shamelessness

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »