Is Alpnet not paying people/agencies working for it?
Thread poster: Andreia Silva
Andreia Silva
Andreia Silva  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 8, 2002

Caros Colegas,

Certamente que alguns dos colegas já ouviram falar na Alpnet (SDL). Gostaria de saber qual o prazo de pagamento e se cumprem. Não trabalho directamente para eles, mas apenas como sub-contratada. O problema é que a minha cliente (que trabalha para eles) diz que eles ainda não lhe pagaram - há já 4 meses. será verdade?

Obrigada.

Andreia

Andreia Silva
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Aug 8, 2002

I should have written in English and I am afraid I\'ve choosen the wrong forum, am I right?

thanks

Andreia
[addsig]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:05
English to German
+ ...
Not sure... Aug 8, 2002

...you might well be in the right forum, but the posting should indeed be in English.

Andreia Silva
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will explain in English Aug 8, 2002

Dear All,

Some of you may already heard about Alpnet (UK). I\'ve been working for them, but not directly, only as a sub-contrated translator. My problem is that my client hasn\'t pay me for about 5 months, stating that Alpnet hasn\'t pay her yet. I don\'t believe. What I need to know is if anyone knows their payment conditions? Is my client telling me the truth? What would you do in my case? Thank you.

Andreia
[addsig]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:05
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Subcontracting Aug 29, 2002

Andrea,

You have a contract with your client, right? (I hope you do.) It doesn\'t matter that they are contracted with Alpnet (or whoever). Your contract is independent of their contract with Alpnet, and your client is obliged to pay you even if Alpnet does not pay them. They should pay you on time and full amount.

This is very fundamental in subcontracting, and the law is on your side.

Please read your contract again, and unless they put in a clause saying their pa
... See more
Andrea,

You have a contract with your client, right? (I hope you do.) It doesn\'t matter that they are contracted with Alpnet (or whoever). Your contract is independent of their contract with Alpnet, and your client is obliged to pay you even if Alpnet does not pay them. They should pay you on time and full amount.

This is very fundamental in subcontracting, and the law is on your side.

Please read your contract again, and unless they put in a clause saying their payment depends on Alpnet\'s payment (this should not be in your contract), then you have all the rights to receive your fees on the agreed payment date.

Be careful, this is a very typical trick when the agency doesn\'t want to pay (on time, or at all).

Good luck!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:05
English to German
+ ...
Check out payment lists Aug 29, 2002

You can find out about the payment habits of agencies on the ProZ \"Agency Blue Board\". The agency you mentioned isn\'t yet listed there, but you can add it and invite comments by ProZ members.

There are a number of other lists, such as www.tcrlist.com - search the forum threads for \"payment practices\".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Alpnet not paying people/agencies working for it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »