Very very low rates...again.
Thread poster: Marcela García Henríquez
Marcela García Henríquez
Marcela García Henríquez
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 6, 2003

I have been offered a job to translate and edit in QuarkXPress at U$0.03 per word... Was it just a translation, I would think it is a very low rate but, also adapting fonts and files and doing desktop publishing?

I am confused.

Rates keep getting lower.

Isn\'t it time to set our own rates, as a group of professionals and compete on the basis of experience and professionalism?

Would that be possible?

... See more
I have been offered a job to translate and edit in QuarkXPress at U$0.03 per word... Was it just a translation, I would think it is a very low rate but, also adapting fonts and files and doing desktop publishing?

I am confused.

Rates keep getting lower.

Isn\'t it time to set our own rates, as a group of professionals and compete on the basis of experience and professionalism?

Would that be possible?

Thanks,

Marcela
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just say no Jan 7, 2003

Unless you\'re hungry enough or desperate enough.

In which case you\'ll take whatever job you can get, at any price.

Just ask those who passionately defend their right to charge bottom-of-the-barrel prices.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:05
English to German
+ ...
You set your own rates Jan 7, 2003

Quote:

You are an independent entrepreneur, aren\'t you? The flip side of the freedom you enjoy is the risk that you won\'t get enough work at reasonable prices. But let\'s face it: this is your decision. Nobody\'s forcing you to work at 3 cents, but if somebody else wants to w... See more
Quote:

You are an independent entrepreneur, aren\'t you? The flip side of the freedom you enjoy is the risk that you won\'t get enough work at reasonable prices. But let\'s face it: this is your decision. Nobody\'s forcing you to work at 3 cents, but if somebody else wants to work at that price, that\'s their choice. Don\'t get me wrong: my answer to such an offer would be no - and of course, if someone chooses to compete on price only, I will endeavour to demonstrate that they don\'t measure up in terms of quality. That\'s the reality of competition...

We had many, many threads on whether or not ProZ.com could or should impose \"standard\" or \"minimum\" prices - I don\'t want to get into that loop again. I suggest you search the forums for \"low rates\"; also, have a look at FAQ #7.

Collapse

Marcela García Henríquez
Marcela García Henríquez
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rates Jan 7, 2003

So what are acceptable rates for translation plus desktop publishing in Quark? Anyone can help?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:05
English to German
+ ...
Have a look at average site rates Jan 7, 2003

As a Platinum member (and provided you have entered a range of rates yourself), you can check the average rates entered by other members in up to 5 working language pairs.

(If you haven\'t entered any, make sure you read the FAQ entry first!)

Sorry I can\'t indicate anything as far as your pairs are concerned - but 3 cents seems to be veeeery (if not: ridiculously) low, particularly if DTP is to be included.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
What clients pay me Jan 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-07 13:54, Hispawords wrote:

So what are acceptable rates for translation plus desktop publishing in Quark? Anyone can help?

Translation: 12 cents per word minimum (depends on the quality of the original and subject specialization)

Revision: 4 cents per word or $40 an hour minimum

DTP: $50 an hour minimum (about 1 page per hour)

Your mileage may v... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-07 13:54, Hispawords wrote:

Translation: 12 cents per word minimum (depends on the quality of the original and subject specialization)

Revision: 4 cents per word or $40 an hour minimum

DTP: $50 an hour minimum (about 1 page per hour)

Your mileage may vary. ▲ Collapse

Marcela García Henríquez
Marcela García Henríquez
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 8, 2003

Thanks for the input.

Just another question, when you mention what clients pay, do you mean direct clients or translation agencies?

I have a feeling that these very low rates come mainly from agencies, and not very good ones.

My rates for direct clients go from U$0.20 to U$0.12, the problem I am facing is that

local business opportunities in my country are very little right now and I am obliged to work for agencies abroad,
... See more
Thanks for the input.

Just another question, when you mention what clients pay, do you mean direct clients or translation agencies?

I have a feeling that these very low rates come mainly from agencies, and not very good ones.

My rates for direct clients go from U$0.20 to U$0.12, the problem I am facing is that

local business opportunities in my country are very little right now and I am obliged to work for agencies abroad, which I see as a great opportunity also, as long as the rates are not below profit.

I am not taking a desktop publishing and translation job at this rate (0.03 p/w), moreover, I couldn\'t even see the files so as to make a budget, for the project manager had lost them!

Thanks to all.

Marcela
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Believe it or not Jan 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-08 16:54, Hispawords wrote:

Translation agencies.

Adrian Woods (X)
Adrian Woods (X)
Spanish to English
$$ stretches further in other countries Feb 5, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-01-06 22:57, Hispawords wrote:

Funny, in all these threads, nobody has mentioned countries where a little money goes a long way.

Globalisation: pros and cons.

Adrian Woods

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
Italian to English
+ ...
This is very telling... Feb 5, 2003

This spells nothing but disaster in my book. How were they planning on delivering the files to you? Fax? Whatever the delivery method, the simple fact that the PM doesn\'t at least provide a sample of the text to be translated is pretty indicative of his/her (lack of any kind of) quality control. Even new clients send at least a brief excerpt of the text and ask if I can or cannot handle the subject matter.

R.

==

Quote:... See more
This spells nothing but disaster in my book. How were they planning on delivering the files to you? Fax? Whatever the delivery method, the simple fact that the PM doesn\'t at least provide a sample of the text to be translated is pretty indicative of his/her (lack of any kind of) quality control. Even new clients send at least a brief excerpt of the text and ask if I can or cannot handle the subject matter.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-01-08 16:54, Hispawords wrote:

I couldn\'t even see the files so as to make a budget, for the project manager had lost them!

Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
How little is "a little"? Feb 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-05 09:00, awoods wrote:

Funny, in all these threads, nobody has mentioned countries where a little money goes a long way.

Like, where? India? China?

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
English to French
Costa Rica, Thailand,... Feb 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-05 22:58, Dyran wrote:

Quote:

and many other countries. But, it depends which market is being targeted. However, i... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-05 22:58, Dyran wrote:

Quote:

and many other countries. But, it depends which market is being targeted. However, if we are talking about Eu countries, that\'s just enough for a sleeping bag under a good bridge.

Hell, we provide a valuable service for god sakes! ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very very low rates...again.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »