Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:03
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 13, 2003

If a cheque got lost during postage, can I ask the client to just cancel the cheque and resend the money?

If possible, what kind of costs might it trigger for the client (cancelling the cheque).

This happened with a check coming from a very good client that I trust very much.

TIA

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
German to English
+ ...
The client would incur charges. Jan 13, 2003

The level of charges would depend on the bank, country, etc. But I think in the UK it costs around GBP 20 to stop a cheque.

If you have a good relationship with the client, you could suggest they resend the money and tell them you will destroy the second cheque (if another one turns up). Alternatively, you could offer to pay the costs of stopping the cheque. (Hopefully they wouldn\'t take you up on the offer, but it would at least show willing ...
See more
The level of charges would depend on the bank, country, etc. But I think in the UK it costs around GBP 20 to stop a cheque.

If you have a good relationship with the client, you could suggest they resend the money and tell them you will destroy the second cheque (if another one turns up). Alternatively, you could offer to pay the costs of stopping the cheque. (Hopefully they wouldn\'t take you up on the offer, but it would at least show willing )

HTH

Mary
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 13:03
German to Romanian
+ ...
Cristiana, pease see my post in the Romanian forum, too Jan 13, 2003

I would like to start a thread on the issue of lost checks. So far 4-5 of my checks got lost in the mail.

Mike Osman
Mike Osman  Identity Verified
France
Member (2013)
English to Somali
+ ...
My client was ok with it. Jan 23, 2003

I have a very good client based in London, like myself.

He sent a cheque but I had never received it. He even suggested himself to just send me another cheque without mentioning any charges that would occur to him.

And I seriously do not think you should pay for any charge whatsoever that the client might occur.

You have to remember not all clients are good and some are just trying to make you wait for payment.

Take care

Mi
... See more
I have a very good client based in London, like myself.

He sent a cheque but I had never received it. He even suggested himself to just send me another cheque without mentioning any charges that would occur to him.

And I seriously do not think you should pay for any charge whatsoever that the client might occur.

You have to remember not all clients are good and some are just trying to make you wait for payment.

Take care

Mike
Collapse

TimeinTime (X)
TimeinTime (X)
English to French
+ ...
yes. You are right. Jan 23, 2003

Quote:

On , wrote:

For no payement, they are able to say anything like I have sent\" haven´t you receved?\" and other things.

gmel117608
gmel117608
English to Italian
+ ...
Cancelling a cheque Jan 26, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-13 06:21, Cleopatra wrote:

If a cheque got lost during postage, can I ask the client to just cancel the cheque and resend the money?

If possible, what kind of costs might it trigger for the client (cancelling the cheque).

This happened with a check coming from a very good client that I trust very much.

TIA

If you have not received the cheque... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-13 06:21, Cleopatra wrote:

TIA

If you have not received the cheque they should cancel it a send you another one. In the UK to cancel a cheque cost as little as £10.00.

Anyway, if you have not received a payment it is their duty to make sure to pay you.

Very often bad UK agencies will use the excuse of the cheque \"gone missing\" in the post just to justify the fact that they have not paid. The vast majority of UK agencies or UK direct client I have are notorius \"slow\" payers.

Shoudl you nee more information about it, and about the method to get paid, please do not hesitate to contact me on my e-mail address.

Kind regards

Giuseppe Melecci ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can a cheque be cancelled?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »