Feb 5, 2003

The following job was posted on the ProZ.com site last night:

Education

Spanish>English

Education report 30 000 words

Pricing:

0.02 EUR per word

UNQUOTE

In the e.mail that I (and hence, presumably, everyone) received, the poster is also looking for \"professional credentials\".

For some terr
... See more
The following job was posted on the ProZ.com site last night:

Education

Spanish>English

Education report 30 000 words

Pricing:

0.02 EUR per word

UNQUOTE

In the e.mail that I (and hence, presumably, everyone) received, the poster is also looking for \"professional credentials\".

For some territories, I do not doubt that this could be a reasonable rate, but for the UK, I have never seen anything quite as low as this, and, depending on how complicated this text is, it could end up being a job done at below the minimum wage for the UK.

I\'m sure that the poster will find somebody to do this job, and it could well be done by a good professional translator, but I very much hope that the agency involved gets what it deserves - a very poor translation. It is companies like this that are having a detrimental effect on rates.
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
sometimes "nothing" is better than something Feb 5, 2003

I completely agree with you.

When I saw the posting this morning I first thought that they had made a mistake, but then, thinking a bit more, I realised that there wasn\'t any mistake or they would have corrected the posting!!

I\'m sure someone will unfortunately do it, but I find offering such low rates really offensive.

There should be a system in which companies could not offer less than a certain minimum when posting bids (probably taken from the average of the
... See more
I completely agree with you.

When I saw the posting this morning I first thought that they had made a mistake, but then, thinking a bit more, I realised that there wasn\'t any mistake or they would have corrected the posting!!

I\'m sure someone will unfortunately do it, but I find offering such low rates really offensive.

There should be a system in which companies could not offer less than a certain minimum when posting bids (probably taken from the average of the minimum rates of the translators registered for a given country). Similar to the one that doesn\'t allow us translators entering a lower price than our set up minimum when bidding.

Grace.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Paul Feb 5, 2003

I have posted an inquiry on this for members of the ITI, to which professional association the job poster belongs. You may want to follow developments.

Cecilia

Moderator Sp>En

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gracias Feb 5, 2003

Cecilia,

Many thanks for staying on top of this issue.

JL

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ITB not ITI Feb 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-05 14:05, Parrot wrote:

I have posted an inquiry on this for members of the ITI, to which professional association the job poster belongs. You may want to follow developments.

Cecilia

Moderator Sp>En

Cecilia,

Thanks for your comment and interest, but this posting was from the International Translation Bureau and not the Inst... See more
Quote:

Cecilia

Moderator Sp>En

Cecilia,

Thanks for your comment and interest, but this posting was from the International Translation Bureau and not the Institute of Translating and Interpreting.

In any case, this posting is now deleted, either because the agency found someone to do it, or a moderator has deleted it.

Thanks again (prepared at 2.40 pm - my postings seem to be taking a long time to reach the forums!) ▲ Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 17:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your inquiry Feb 5, 2003

Quote:

Cecilia

Moderator Sp>En

I think yours is a major step towards creating larger awareness about such low rate job postings. Thank you so much for being concerned aboutit - m... See more
Quote:

Cecilia

Moderator Sp>En

I think yours is a major step towards creating larger awareness about such low rate job postings. Thank you so much for being concerned aboutit - more so becuase you are the moderator of this forum. I hope one day Proz will be free from such job postings. ▲ Collapse

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Paul (II) Feb 5, 2003

One of our moderators deleted the posting.

I am very well aware of the agency/person who made the posting, but I am also aware that the person/entity is entered as an \"Associate Member\" of the ITI.

The ITI has a membership assessment committee, and \"Associate Members\" are those whose full membership is under evaluation.

For that matter, ProZ.com didn\'t get the worst end; the same job was advertised in another list at 0.01, which
... See more

I am very well aware of the agency/person who made the posting, but I am also aware that the person/entity is entered as an \"Associate Member\" of the ITI.

The ITI has a membership assessment committee, and \"Associate Members\" are those whose full membership is under evaluation.

For that matter, ProZ.com didn\'t get the worst end; the same job was advertised in another list at 0.01, which brought in a fair share of comments.

We are following this closely.

Collapse

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your clarification Feb 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-05 15:54, Parrot wrote:

For ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-05 15:54, Parrot wrote:

For that matter, ProZ.com didn\'t get the worst end; the same job was advertised in another list at 0.01, which brought in a fair share of comments.

We are following this closely.

Thanks for your further note, Cecilia - I hadn\'t realised that the poster is entered as an \"Associate Member\" of the ITI.

I await developments with interest. ▲ Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
AITIs and MITIs Feb 6, 2003

Hi all,

As an Associate of the Institute myself I thought I\'d clear up the AITI and MITI issue.

Unfortunately you can\'t (this was the case when I applied for associateship) become a Member - which requires an examination - until you are 25 years of age. Until then you can apply to be an Associate.

Full details at the ITI website.

Best,

Amy

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
ITI has taken action Feb 6, 2003

Shall we forgive and forget now?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lowest rate in UK?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »