Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mario Jan 28, 2021

Mario Cerutti wrote:
The only thing that prevents me from seriously trying OmegaT is its way of displaying source and target segments, that is target segments below source segments. Is there any plan in the near future to make OmegaT more mainstream in this regard?

No.

The developers have, however, indicated in the past that there are no major development related issues that would make programming such a feature difficult. The current developers are opposed to adding more panes, and I don't see how one could elegantly implement such a feature without adding an extra pane, so that may be an obstacle.

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:28
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
No problems when translating. Jan 29, 2021

Anton Konashenok wrote:
The target-below-source layout was the norm for CAT tools 15 years ago (pre-2009 Trados, Wordfast Classic, Metatexis, etc.). Some tools allow both layouts. I seriously suggest giving this layout a try - it will take time to get used to, but in the end you may even find it more comfortable, as your eyes travel a much smaller distance between source and target, and there is no chance of your gaze accidentally drifting one row below or above the current line while doing so. Thus, it reduces your eye strain.

[Edited at 2021-01-28 15:36 GMT]

But, when revising I find that the horizontal layout gives a better feel of the target text flowing, which helps me making adjustments accordingly and more easily locating which segments should be merged or split.

I've tried the vertical layout with my current CAT tool, but maybe just not enough.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:28
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Just an extra pane Jan 29, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

The current developers are opposed to adding more panes, and I don't see how one could elegantly implement such a feature without adding an extra pane, so that may be an obstacle.

I understand that, in general simpler is better. In my current CAT tool it's possible to add as many panes as wished and move them around quite freely to better the desired working environment. It may seem a lot of information on screen, but with the aid of background colors keeping focus on the currently most important panes is not that difficult.

Well, maybe OmegaT's developers will change their mind one day if more users show interest in the horizontal layout as an option.

[Edited at 2021-01-29 06:04 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
English to Czech
Symbiosis of OmegaT and BasicCAT Jan 29, 2021

BasicCAT has PreTranslate feature

01 OmegaT, plugins and scripts
02 BasicCAT = Source on the left and target on the right
03 BasicCAT - PreTranslate - Machine Translation
04 BasicCAT - PreTranslate - Translation Memory

But, the text is in Czech:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2021-01/28/cs/00.html

Symbióza OmegaT a BasicCATu
... See more
BasicCAT has PreTranslate feature

01 OmegaT, plugins and scripts
02 BasicCAT = Source on the left and target on the right

But, the text is in Czech:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2021-01/28/cs/00.html

Symbióza OmegaT a BasicCATu

BasicCAT má PreTranslate

01 OmegaT, pluginy a skripty
02 BasicCAT

Milan
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »