LaTeX - removal of line breaks in 'target'
Thread poster: joachimnielandt
joachimnielandt
joachimnielandt
Belgium
Local time: 23:48
Sep 1, 2021

Hello all,

I am testing out OmegaT on my latex project. Seems to work well, but the only problem so far is that the .tex files in my target folder seem to be reformatted. The original line breaks are not respected, and I cannot find a setting that changes this behaviour.

As an example, my source file would contain this:

% allow compilation of images on their own
\\usepackage{standalone}

\\usepackage{lingmacros}
\\usepacka
... See more
Hello all,

I am testing out OmegaT on my latex project. Seems to work well, but the only problem so far is that the .tex files in my target folder seem to be reformatted. The original line breaks are not respected, and I cannot find a setting that changes this behaviour.

As an example, my source file would contain this:

\\usepackage{standalone}

\\usepackage{lingmacros}
\\usepackage{tree-dvips}
\\usepackage{graphicx}
\\graphicspath{ {./img/} } % default image path, no need to specify /img everytime
\\usepackage[dutch]{babel}
\\usepackage{array}
\\usepackage{subcaption}

The related target file would contain this:

\\usepackage{standalone}

\\usepackage{lingmacros} \\usepackage{tree-dvips} \\usepackage{graphicx} \\graphicspath{ {./img/} } \\usepackage[dutch]{babel} \\usepackage{array} \\usepackage{subcaption} \\usepackage{caption} \\usepackage{svg} \\usepackage{tcolorbox} \\usepackage{amssymb} \\usepackage{fontspec} \\usepackage{hyperref} \\usepackage{makecell} \\usepackage{multirow} \\usepackage{fontawesome} \\usepackage{listings,lstautogobble} \\usepackage{tabularx}

Both source and target files have CRLF line endings. When there's double line breaks in the file it seems they are respected, it's only when there's a single one that everything's put into a single line. Eventually, this results in a project that cannot compile, as latex is notoriously picky about newlines and 'empty' space. Can anyone guide me towards a solution?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2021-09-01 11:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-01 11:30 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:48
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Workaround Sep 2, 2021

Dear Joachim,

I'm afraid I can't contribute anything substantial, just a workaround:

In my experience, Trados Studio handles LaTeX files without any problems. If you have access to Studio, you could prepare an XLIFF file and then translate this in OmegaT.

Kind regards
Erik

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

LaTeX - removal of line breaks in 'target'

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »