Difference between Repetitions and Exact Matches when analyzing without a TM?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2021

What exactly is the difference between Repetitions and Exact Matches when I'm doing an analysis without a TM?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:42
English to Russian
Reps vs. Matches Oct 8, 2021

Repetitions refer to identical segments in a file (may be not translated yet), when an active segment equals one or more segments within the file(s).
Exact Matches refer to identical segments in a TM (translated only), when an active segment equals a segment stored in TM. If it is not zero, you have some tmx file in the project TM directory.

[Edited at 2021-10-08 14:18 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do have some kind of auto-generated .tmx file there Oct 8, 2021

As it turns out, I do have a .tmx file in the tm directory. It's named after the source file and ends with _alt.tmx. Seems like it's auto-generated because I certainly didn't put it there (didn't specify the TM or MemSource login credentials). The question is then, where does it come from? And can I rely on the reported Repetitions count when such a file is present?

Stepan Konev wrote:

Repetitions refer to identical segments in a file (may be not translated yet), when an active segment equals one or more segments within the file(s).
Exact Matches refer to identical segments in a TM (translated only), when an active segment equals a segment stored in TM. If it is not zero, you have some tmx file in the project TM directory.

[Edited at 2021-10-08 14:18 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:42
English to Russian
Not an OT user Oct 8, 2021

Unfortunately, I don't use OT on a regular basis. As far as I know esperantisto has something to do with OT development. Hope he comes across this thread sooner or later...

[Edited at 2021-10-08 14:49 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Artem Oct 8, 2021

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
As it turns out, I do have a .tmx file in the tm directory. It's named after the source file and ends with _alt.tmx. Seems like it's auto-generated because I certainly didn't put it there (didn't specify the TM or MemSource login credentials). The question is then, where does it come from?

These segments come from within the XLIFF file. See also my post here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/xtm_cloud_support/339134-working_offline_memoq_vs_trados.html
These matches are not repetitions -- they are exact or fuzzy matches against the translations that are hidden inside the XLIFF file (open the XLIFF file in Notepad and look for "alt-trans"). So, you can just add up all the non-"repetition" counts (including fuzzy and exact) to see the non-repetitions.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for clarification Samuel Oct 9, 2021

Thanks for clarification Samuel. Hard to find any mentions of this anywhere else, so this is valuable. By opening the .tmx file in Notepad++, I can indeed see the "alt-trans" units with the user ID "FromAlternate!".

Samuel Murray wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
As it turns out, I do have a .tmx file in the tm directory. It's named after the source file and ends with _alt.tmx. Seems like it's auto-generated because I certainly didn't put it there (didn't specify the TM or MemSource login credentials). The question is then, where does it come from?

These segments come from within the XLIFF file. See also my post here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/xtm_cloud_support/339134-working_offline_memoq_vs_trados.html
These matches are not repetitions -- they are exact or fuzzy matches against the translations that are hidden inside the XLIFF file (open the XLIFF file in Notepad and look for "alt-trans"). So, you can just add up all the non-"repetition" counts (including fuzzy and exact) to see the non-repetitions.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Difference between Repetitions and Exact Matches when analyzing without a TM?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »