Daniel Ruhland
Daniel Ruhland
Brazil
Local time: 15:27
English to French
+ ...
Feb 7

Hello,

It's my first time posting here, so I apologize in advance if this problem has already been answered and/or if I don't follow some of the posting guidelines.

I am using OmegaT 6.0.0 and I am very happy with it overall. The only issue I have is when I have two or more strings/sentences which are identical in the source text, but may have different translations in the target language depending on the context. OmegaT seems to view all those strings as one when worki
... See more
Hello,

It's my first time posting here, so I apologize in advance if this problem has already been answered and/or if I don't follow some of the posting guidelines.

I am using OmegaT 6.0.0 and I am very happy with it overall. The only issue I have is when I have two or more strings/sentences which are identical in the source text, but may have different translations in the target language depending on the context. OmegaT seems to view all those strings as one when working on the same file.
I tried to google my issue, but I couldn't find a solution. I found a Sourceforge thread from 2007 saying it was not possible, but maybe it is outdated now. If someone who uses OmegaT knows how to do it, I would be very grateful. Right now, the only workaround I can think of is to filter the duplicates in Excel and add a different tag to each string to differentiate them, but it is time-consuming to do it manually.

Thank you,
Daniel
Collapse

Andrey Raugas
Andrey Raugas
Georgia
Local time: 22:27
English to Russian
Create Alternative Translation Feb 8

Hi.

For that purpose you can use "Create Alternative Translation" option. You can access it from "Edit" menu or from context menu. Here is short description from User Manual:

Multiple Translations

A source segment that appears in multiple locations in the project may require several different translations depending on context.

Use >Edit >Create Alternative Translation to register an alternative translation if the current translation of the
... See more
Hi.

For that purpose you can use "Create Alternative Translation" option. You can access it from "Edit" menu or from context menu. Here is short description from User Manual:

Multiple Translations

A source segment that appears in multiple locations in the project may require several different translations depending on context.

Use >Edit >Create Alternative Translation to register an alternative translation if the current translation of the segment is not suitable. The entered translation will then be treated as an alternative translation of the source segment.

Use >Edit >Use as Default Translation to define one of the alternatives—the most common or likely, for instance—as the default translation.

https://omegat.sourceforge.io/manual-standard/en/chapter.panes.html#panes.multipletranslations

I admit that using this feature is not very intuitive, but some trial end error may give you some good results.
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)
Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:27
English to Russian
Create Alternative Translation Feb 8

Right-click your current target segment and select the 'Create Alternative Translation' option.

brovxidfmgan (X)
esperantisto

Daniel Ruhland
Daniel Ruhland
Brazil
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but it won't solve my problem Feb 8

The issues is that those strings don't even appear in OmegaT, if there are let's say 3 absolutely identical segments in the same file, only one will be shown.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:27
English to Russian
Wow! How come?! Another Proz bug? Feb 8

When I posted my comment, there were no other comments even though Andrey commented 6+ hours before me....

@Daniel
Do you mean that alternative translations won't show up? Or repetitions?
If you mean that alternative translations won't show up, you first have to confirm a default translation. And only then you create an alternative one.

Also, can you confirm that you have a layout like this:

[Edited at 2024-02-08 22:13 GMT]
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:27
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Contributors whose identity is not verified have to be vetted before thir posts appear Feb 9

Stepan Konev wrote:

When I posted my comment, there were no other comments even though Andrey commented 6+ hours before me....

The difference is in the little black tick after Stepan´s name, which Andrey does not have. It means Andrey has not had his identity verified. There is a description of the identification programme here, which probably needs updating!
https://www.proz.com/faq/profiles.html#verified_identity_program

I cannot find the explanation about posts in the forums right now, but if a person´s identity is verified, their posts appear immediately. Otherwise, posts have to be vetted by a moderator before they appear, and this may take some time.

brovxidfmgan (X)
Stepan Konev

Andrey Raugas
Andrey Raugas
Georgia
Local time: 22:27
English to Russian
This issue is specific to Microsoft OpenXML file format Feb 9

I believe this behavior is caused by the internal structure of the Microsoft OpenXML (.xlsx) file format. It seems that OmegaT can't extract repetitions from this file format. You can read more about ... See more
I believe this behavior is caused by the internal structure of the Microsoft OpenXML (.xlsx) file format. It seems that OmegaT can't extract repetitions from this file format. You can read more about this here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/mailman/omegat-users/thread/m23bpa+60l472@.../#msg36844373

https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/feature-requests/1018/

Suggested workaround is to convert the file to another format (e.g. LibreOffice Calc .ods or Excel 2003 .xls).

[Edited at 2024-02-09 04:53 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Ruhland
brovxidfmgan (X)

Daniel Ruhland
Daniel Ruhland
Brazil
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution seems to work so far! Feb 9

@Andrey Raugas I converted my file to .ods, and it seems to work so far! The repeated text now appears several times in OmegaT, as opposed to a single time before. Thank you so much for solving my problem! And thank you @Stepan Konev and @Christine Andersen for stepping in as well

Andrey Raugas

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Different translations of identical segments in OmegaT

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »