Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you feel when a client tells you when a new project is to come, but delays it without news?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other-I Don't Care All That Much Mar 23, 2021

Since the kind of translations I do are often more of a luxury for agency end clients, it doesn't surprise me all that much if I never hear more about them after the agency may have contacted me once or twice in an attempt to ensure my availability. If someone offers me something in the interim, I will almost always go with them, although I usually contact the first agency to let them know that if they cannot verify their project right then and there I won't be able to take it on. Anyway, I am r... See more
Since the kind of translations I do are often more of a luxury for agency end clients, it doesn't surprise me all that much if I never hear more about them after the agency may have contacted me once or twice in an attempt to ensure my availability. If someone offers me something in the interim, I will almost always go with them, although I usually contact the first agency to let them know that if they cannot verify their project right then and there I won't be able to take it on. Anyway, I am really quite satisfied with all of the extremely interesting projects that have been sent my way over the years; so it doesn't bother me anymore when a project, in particular, one from an agency, fizzles out. At this point in my life, I only have to work for the enjoyment it provides. Although I'm always glad to collect my fee, of course!

[Edited at 2021-03-23 17:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-23 17:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-23 17:12 GMT]
Collapse

Katya Kesten

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 01:06
English to German
In memoriam
Nothing, unless they booked my time in advance Mar 23, 2021

Just "telling" me that a new project is to come does not do much to me; I have some clients where I reasonably expect that it will really happen, but even if the client/agency is reliable on the whole, there are always imponderabilities and projects are postponed or dropped all the time. So I don't expect much and I'm not badly disappointed if it does not happen.

It would be different if the client actually made a booking of my time in advance, to make sure that I leave enough time
... See more
Just "telling" me that a new project is to come does not do much to me; I have some clients where I reasonably expect that it will really happen, but even if the client/agency is reliable on the whole, there are always imponderabilities and projects are postponed or dropped all the time. So I don't expect much and I'm not badly disappointed if it does not happen.

It would be different if the client actually made a booking of my time in advance, to make sure that I leave enough time to do their project. In that case, I would actively follow up to find out what is going on. I will still try to accommodate the client to my best abilities, but if they booked my time and then nothing happens and I cannot fill it with other work, they'll have to pay for it.

And regarding my feelings - if a client gives me bad feelings for whatever reason (like being capricious and bad to work with), I always found it a good idea to raise my rates for them. My pain, my gain.
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
LIZ LI
Robert Rietvelt
Katya Kesten
Laura Kingdon
Tony Keily
Paul van Zijll

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It depends on the client Mar 23, 2021

I have occasionally been booked, and then the text has not materialised, but in most cases it is not my client, the agency, but the end client who caused the delay.
My regular clients promise to let me know as soon as anything happens, and I do my best when I can. I know it is no use pressing them - they can not conjure up a text that is not forthcoming. When it does arrive, we take it from there, or they cancel the agreement with their client.

If it is not a regular client, t
... See more
I have occasionally been booked, and then the text has not materialised, but in most cases it is not my client, the agency, but the end client who caused the delay.
My regular clients promise to let me know as soon as anything happens, and I do my best when I can. I know it is no use pressing them - they can not conjure up a text that is not forthcoming. When it does arrive, we take it from there, or they cancel the agreement with their client.

If it is not a regular client, then I send them a mail saying I will have difficulty meeting the agreed deadline, so if the text does not arrive immediately, then I am no longer available, and I get on with the next job or accept offers from more reliable clients.

It may depend a little on the story and the background. However, on one occasion when I worked in house, a colleague and I were booked for a fortnight to translate a series of articles that did not arrive on time. For the first week we compiled glossaries and drank coffee, proofread for colleagues and went home early... Then a couple of articles arrived, and my colleague told the project manager firmly that it would cost overtime, and the client would be lucky to get all the articles back in time... Finally the articles arrived in the last two days, and we simply could not get through them all before they were due to go to the publisher.

The editor had told the writers booked to produce the articles that they could deliver their copy at any time during the fortnight we were supposed to be translating them, and of course most waited until the last minute - they were busy people! By the time the message got back to them, it was too late. The client and the agency both lost money because we could not deliver, but we translators were paid fairly for the work - and the overtime - that we put in.

It was a useful lesson for me. If I take a booking in advance, I explain that if the client does not keep their side of the bargain, then I cannot keep mine. But I don't lose sleep or get upset over it!

[Edited at 2021-03-23 21:01 GMT]
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Katya Kesten
Yetta Jensen Bogarde

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:06
German to English
+ ...
It's not booked until it's book Mar 23, 2021

My agency clients often ask me for a quote and timeline. Then they have to wait for their client to corroborate. I move on to actual booked projects. Their client might make a decision in the next hour, or two weeks later. That is also why, when asked for quote and timeline, I'll write a time range with "depending on how busy" (when the order is finalized).

End clients can be in similar situations, where something is preventing them from finalizing right away. You go with the fl
... See more
My agency clients often ask me for a quote and timeline. Then they have to wait for their client to corroborate. I move on to actual booked projects. Their client might make a decision in the next hour, or two weeks later. That is also why, when asked for quote and timeline, I'll write a time range with "depending on how busy" (when the order is finalized).

End clients can be in similar situations, where something is preventing them from finalizing right away. You go with the flow, and squeeze them in if they give the go ahead later.

(Didn't get the "feel" part.)
Collapse

Tony Keily
Edward Potter

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:06
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It happens all the time Mar 24, 2021

I don't book any time for a job until I receive the document to be translated. I've learned that lesson long ago. Clients keep warning you about upcoming jobs, bacause they want to make sure you'll book the time for them. You can always fit in a new project if you don't undertake to translate more than 3000 words per business day with any client. That way, you can always work a bit more to translate 5000 and work on the weekend, if necessary. But booking time and declining other jobs because you... See more
I don't book any time for a job until I receive the document to be translated. I've learned that lesson long ago. Clients keep warning you about upcoming jobs, bacause they want to make sure you'll book the time for them. You can always fit in a new project if you don't undertake to translate more than 3000 words per business day with any client. That way, you can always work a bit more to translate 5000 and work on the weekend, if necessary. But booking time and declining other jobs because you are EXPECTING a big project of another client?? No way on Earth!Collapse

Susanna Martoni
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Laura Kingdon
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Muriel Vasconcellos
Katrin Braams
Dan Lucas

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Readjusting schedules Mar 24, 2021

My inside (ie not to the client) reaction will depend on what else I have in play, so it's more frustrating if you have to rejig everything in order to accommodate than if, by chance, you can be flexible. It wouldn't be fair to be more annoyed with the client in the first case than in the second because the surrounding circumstances are nothing to do with the client, and we should remember this when storing up resentment as we might be tempted to do.

But oh so important to cater for
... See more
My inside (ie not to the client) reaction will depend on what else I have in play, so it's more frustrating if you have to rejig everything in order to accommodate than if, by chance, you can be flexible. It wouldn't be fair to be more annoyed with the client in the first case than in the second because the surrounding circumstances are nothing to do with the client, and we should remember this when storing up resentment as we might be tempted to do.

But oh so important to cater for this contingency when negotiating with the client. Do not say "yes, I can deliver on Tuesday", say "Yes, I can deliver 72 hours after receipt of all material" or similar.
Collapse

Vi Pukite
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
I don't put myself in that position Mar 25, 2021

Although very rarely I'll make an exception, I normally just let people know my current availability but stress it'll be assigned on a first come, first served basis. The formula goes: "Right now, I could deliver..."

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Edith van der Have

Giovancy Hubbard
Giovancy Hubbard
France
English to French
+ ...
Annoyed Mar 26, 2021

For me it's important as professional to inform the other party is something that might affect his schedule or business in someway or another. Failing to do so means that you're not serious enough, and can result in the other party hesitating in working again with me.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Nothing Mar 27, 2021

Although it doesn't happen "all" the time, it does occur. And sometimes, when I'm really busy, it's even good.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Sayda Pineda
Sayda Pineda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Annoyed IF i don't get the job. Mar 27, 2021

I would send them follow-up emails, things get clarified really fast. Things happen. Yes, perhaps I already scheduled this project, but I will re-schedule if possible. Usually turn around time is also readjusted.
HOWEVER, it has happened to me that customer has used a new email address or an automated system, AND their communication and project have been sent automatically to my Spam or Junk mail. Now I check my junk mail before asking "where is my project?"
OR, perhaps it was a hu
... See more
I would send them follow-up emails, things get clarified really fast. Things happen. Yes, perhaps I already scheduled this project, but I will re-schedule if possible. Usually turn around time is also readjusted.
HOWEVER, it has happened to me that customer has used a new email address or an automated system, AND their communication and project have been sent automatically to my Spam or Junk mail. Now I check my junk mail before asking "where is my project?"
OR, perhaps it was a human error. In that case and with good manners and communication from all interested parties (myself included) I will try to readjust as much as possible.
It happened to me once that I received an email "We are sorry. The project has been sent to another translator and your P.O. has been cancelled." Hmmm. No manners, no respect. A copy of my invoice was sent to anyone I was able to get a hold of in that company. Unfortunately it was some kind of company practice as I received several apologies but NO payment. End of story. Company erased and blocked. Move on to find new and better pastures, and the world is the limit.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you feel when a client tells you when a new project is to come, but delays it without news?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »