Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nov 25, 2021

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/powwow

Use of the word powwow to refer generally to a social get-together or to a meeting for discussion is considered to be an offensive appropriation of a term of great cultural importance to Indigenous Americans.

Rachel Waddington
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ulla Kask
Miranda Drew

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Nov 25, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/powwow
"Use of the word powwow to refer generally to a social get-together or to a meeting for discussion is considered to be an offensive appropriation of a term of great cultural importance to Indigenous Americans."

This is just the dictionary author's opinion. Merriman-Webster is the only major dictionary used in the US to have such an opinion.

The American Heritage Dictionary, the second most used dictionary in the US, says:

pow·wow (noun)
1a. A council or meeting of Native Americans, sometimes with people from other communities.
1b. [informal] A conference or gathering, as of business people.
2a. A Native American shaman.
2b. A ceremony conducted by a shaman, as in the performance of healing or hunting rituals.

...and the only usage comment that they give is "Today, when speaking in English, some Native American communities themselves use the word powwow to refer to meetings or gatherings held according to the traditional ways of their people."

Longman is also used quite a lot in the US. It says simply:

powwow (noun) [countable]
1. a meeting or discussion -- used humorously
2. a meeting or council of Native Americans

Finally, the New Oxford American Dictionary says:

powwow (noun)
1. a North American Indian ceremony involving feasting, singing, and dancing.
2. a conference or meeting for discussion, especially among friends or colleagues.

And across the pond...

Oxford says:

powwow (noun)
1. a meeting of Native Americans for making decisions or for having spiritual ceremonies or celebrations
2. [usually humorous] a meeting in which something important is discussed

and Collins says:

powwow (noun)
in American English
1. [among Native Americans] a ceremony, esp. one accompanied by magic, feasting, and dancing, performed for the cure of disease, success in a hunt, etc
2. a council or conference of or with Native Americans
3. [among Native Americans] a priest or shaman
4. [informal] any conference or meeting

powwow (noun)
in British English
1. a talk, conference, or meeting
2. a magical ceremony of certain Native Americans, usually accompanied by feasting and dancing
3. [among certain Native Americans] a medicine man
4. a meeting of or negotiation with Native Americans

[Edited at 2021-11-25 13:51 GMT]

Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Yaotl Altan
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Gerard Barry
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Rolled eyes Nov 25, 2021

I've always considered powwow a silly, childish, unprofessional-sounding name to use, but offensive? I don't see how.

Only in the way calling something a Bible or a Mecca might upset a few zealots looking for trouble.

Too many people are looking to be offended these days rather than being tolerant. Makes me sound so old.

Romuald Pawlikowski
Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio
Rui Domingues
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
7 things you should never say to a Native American Nov 25, 2021

https://www.insider.com/native-american-offensive-racist-things-2020-1

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 25, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Too many people are looking to be offended these days rather than being tolerant. Makes me sound so old.

I'm no spring chicken Chris and I do agree that some people are just out to get offended. Comedian Bill Maher recently said anything he wants to say on Twitter, he just can't say on Twitter, and gave the example of the simplest of tweets: "Good morning" to which followers react with "of course it must seem like a good morning for a privileged white male".

There have been some hilarious cases of people being accused of cultural appropriation, when the culturally appropriated have in fact enjoyed others embracing their culture. My in-laws were all delighted that I wore a traditional outfit from their part of the world to my brother-in-laws wedding. Hell, it was my mother-in-law who gave me the outfit!

Referring specifically to Native Americans, I believe they were the first to take offence in cases of cultural appropriation, seeing whites dress up as Sitting Bull, wearing all those feathers when it's obvious they haven't earned a single one.
I'm pretty sure I'd be mad as hell about the white invasion of my homeland if I were a Native American, and I think they are the ones who should rule whether or not it is offensive for (mainly) white people to call their gathering a pow-wow. Otherwise, "if in doubt leave it out".

I personally love the word pow-wow, but I don't think my opinion of the sound of the word should count for anything.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Kardi Kho
Yaotl Altan
Richard Purdom
AnnaSCHTR

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Use these culturally offensive phrases, questions at your own risk Nov 25, 2021

It belongs to the world of corporate speak, where people talk about pulling something up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes it. If you like that kind of talk - go ahead and use it.

https://www.ictinc.ca/blog/culturally-offensive-phrases-you-should-use-at

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Taboo slang Nov 25, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

It belongs to the world of corporate speak (...)

Like it or not "powwow" can't be used in a corporate setting today and certainly never by a translator delivering a corporate text.

I don't particularly agree with this "proscribed word lists" trend, but it's here. Using "powwow" in an annual report, communication or tweet (or even internally) is inviting trouble. If not today, then in six months.

Marijke Singer

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
So why.... Nov 25, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

It belongs to the world of corporate speak (...)

Like it or not "powwow" can't be used in a corporate setting today and certainly never by a translator delivering a corporate text.

I don't particularly agree with this "proscribed word lists" trend, but it's here. Using "powwow" in an annual report, communication or tweet (or even internally) is inviting trouble. If not today, then in six months.

I'm dismayed that Proz.com are still using it. Very backward. Presumably they don't know any Native Americans - which in a place like Syracuse, in upstate New York, I find puzzling. The whites can't have killed them all (Cayuga, Onondaga, Seneca, Oneida, and Mohawk).

https://www.onondaganation.org/culture/

[Edited at 2021-11-25 17:02 GMT]

Marijke Singer

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:56
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
. Nov 25, 2021

[Edited at 2021-11-26 00:03 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Saw your post before you deleted it Nov 26, 2021

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

[Edited at 2021-11-26 00:03 GMT]

And I appreciated it.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Ha! Nov 28, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Tell me about it. Not too long ago, some groups of people protested over the usage of the term "Blind Let's Play". They argued that it's disrespectful towards those with such condition. But the people with visual impairment themselves never had any issue with that term to begin with.

Some people just like to sow chaos, it seems.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Let’s talk more about racism in Indonesia Nov 28, 2021

Persistent prejudice against Papuans

https://theconversation.com/lets-talk-more-about-racism-in-indonesia-123019<

https://tinyurl.com/y3oups57

[Edited at 2021-11-28 16:40 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
How cute of you Nov 29, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

You forgot to mention about anti-Chinese sentiments, Thomas.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No - I didn't forget Nov 29, 2021

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

You forgot to mention about anti-Chinese sentiments, Thomas.

No - I didn't forget. I had no intention of mentioning them.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Contact the Chief Nov 29, 2021

Looks like your complaint has fallen on deaf ears, Tom. I don’t think the forums are of any interest to ProZ any more. It’s all about the Facebook group (which I wasn’t allowed to join, being such a subversive).

So perhaps you need to get in touch with the Chief directly rather than waiting around for the Indians.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Offensive language

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »