Powwow: Edinburgh - United Kingdom

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Edinburgh - United Kingdom".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Gustavo Shintate
Gustavo Shintate  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:07
Member (2021)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
first timer tips Sep 29, 2023

Hi folks,

I'm Gustavo, I'm from Brazil (from a family of Japanese descent). I just moved to Scotland to live with my partner (soon to be husband) and I'm also just finishing a PGDip in Translation (ENPT-BR). I'm super nervous to attend this powwow, so I guess I would write this and ask for tips of any kind about how things usually go here. Maybe even I'm not the only newcomer? Anyways....
Cheers and see you soon!

[Edited at 2023-09-29 01:53 GMT]

Julian Wagstaff
Julian Wagstaff  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Replying to Gustavo - Welcoming new attendees Sep 29, 2023

Hi Gustavo
Thanks very much for your message and for reaching out. It's good to meet you.
There is absolutely no need to be nervous about this powwow! We're a very friendly, social bunch and there are at least six or seven other people on the list who will be attending for the first time.
We'll be meeting in a pub near Haymarket Station. I will be writing to all confirmed attendees next week with confirmation of the venue. The format is very informal - just chats about anything an
... See more
Hi Gustavo
Thanks very much for your message and for reaching out. It's good to meet you.
There is absolutely no need to be nervous about this powwow! We're a very friendly, social bunch and there are at least six or seven other people on the list who will be attending for the first time.
We'll be meeting in a pub near Haymarket Station. I will be writing to all confirmed attendees next week with confirmation of the venue. The format is very informal - just chats about anything and everything (not necessarily translation-related) over a few drinks.
It would be very helpful, though, if you could update your attendance status to "yes" or "maybe". This is done by logging onto Proz and clicking the little black arrows opposite your name in the attendance table.
If you want to know what I look like, here's a fairly recent photo: https://www.julianwagstaff.com/images/demo/gallery/gallery4.jpg
I'll also include my mobile number in the email I send out with the venue details.
Thanks again for your message and I look forward to meeting you!
All good wishes
Julian
Collapse

Susan Higgins
Susan Higgins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Replying to Gustavo - first timer tips Oct 2, 2023

Hi Gustavo,

It's a very informal, sociable meet-up of translators and interpreters - you don't even need to talk about work if you don't want to. I remember being nervous (and late!) the first time I went along, but there was really no need.

Looking forward to meeting you (and everyone else) on Friday,
Susan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Edinburgh - United Kingdom

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »