Quoting with browniz points will not be possible after January 1, 2010
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:40
SITE FOUNDER
Sorry, VeronicaMar Feb 25, 2010

VeronicaMar wrote:

I'm not a paying member, I decided that I would become one after getting a steady work flow from ProZ, say at least 1 project each month.

That never actually happened...

And it probably won't. The site is structured in such a way that new client flow goes to paying members. If you are not prepared to invest in your business, even in an amount equal to what most translators earn in a single project, you will not be able to grow your business quickly here.

Desdemone (X)
Desdemone (X)
Local time: 01:40
French to English
I'd have to dispute Henry's claim Feb 25, 2010

As a test, I twice paid for membership in different years to see if I would be offered any "jobs" - nothing. Fortunately I suffer from over-work, not the reverse.

I'm sure many people do get jobs through this site, as many will no doubt now point out, and I am equally sure there are many who don't, probably because of rates.

As I said in a post yesterday on a different forum, proz represents the very low end, if not the bottom, of the "market", and translators who char
... See more
As a test, I twice paid for membership in different years to see if I would be offered any "jobs" - nothing. Fortunately I suffer from over-work, not the reverse.

I'm sure many people do get jobs through this site, as many will no doubt now point out, and I am equally sure there are many who don't, probably because of rates.

As I said in a post yesterday on a different forum, proz represents the very low end, if not the bottom, of the "market", and translators who charge high-end rates most likely do not find work here.

[Edited at 2010-02-25 13:34 GMT]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 01:40
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
This may depend on how you are presenting yourself to potential clients too Feb 25, 2010

Membership, which provides you with raised visibility (on the site and on the web) is more, or less, effective according to how you accompany that visibility. Solid activity in the term help system helps. And if for example my profile says little or nothing about me professionally, I probably stand less chance of receiving client contact than others who are clearly displaying what they do, how well they do it, their qualifications, and, basically, have prepared a stronger business card than mine... See more
Membership, which provides you with raised visibility (on the site and on the web) is more, or less, effective according to how you accompany that visibility. Solid activity in the term help system helps. And if for example my profile says little or nothing about me professionally, I probably stand less chance of receiving client contact than others who are clearly displaying what they do, how well they do it, their qualifications, and, basically, have prepared a stronger business card than mine (regardless of rates).

Regards,

Jared
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting with browniz points will not be possible after January 1, 2010

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »