Thread poster: Terry Richards
Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 18:55
French to English
+ ...
May 8, 2008

Can we have this list sorted by date/time of the last post in a thread instead of the first one?

At the moment, a topic that is raising a great deal of interest with 50 replies can be scrolled off by one that is destined to never get a reply at all. If the list was sorted by the last post, the topic would be more likely to stay visible as long as it is still generating interest. OTOH, less interesting topics would scroll into limbo (also known as page 2) a lot quicker.

... See more
Can we have this list sorted by date/time of the last post in a thread instead of the first one?

At the moment, a topic that is raising a great deal of interest with 50 replies can be scrolled off by one that is destined to never get a reply at all. If the list was sorted by the last post, the topic would be more likely to stay visible as long as it is still generating interest. OTOH, less interesting topics would scroll into limbo (also known as page 2) a lot quicker.

Thanks,

Terry.
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other forums/message boards do it that way. May 9, 2008

I agree. I contribute often to a message board with the system you describe, and it's so much easier to keep up with each new post.

On the other hand, someone with a technical question (as with a CAT tool) may have his/her thread disappear before help arrives.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
I like it as it is May 9, 2008

I track the threads I'm interested in - even nicer, because I sometimes get notifications about new posts that have been made to a thread that was started months ago.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:55
French to English
Bump! May 9, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:
On the other hand, someone with a technical question (as with a CAT tool) may have his/her thread disappear before help arrives.

Terry's suggestion is now being made on a regular basis....

Every other forum I go to works as he describes. If people still think their topic deserves ore attention, they just bump it (i.e. make a post purely for the purposes of changing the date/time stamp and, thus, its position in the list). You might think this leads to chaos, but not so.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:55
SITE STAFF
We are working on including this option for the forum listing May 9, 2008

Hi all,

We are working on including this option for the forum listing (see also http://www.proz.com/topic/97984 ). The sorting will be optional, for those who prefer to see the forum listing as it is. Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,

Jared

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bump it up! May 9, 2008

Charlie Bavington wrote:

If people still think their topic deserves more attention, they just bump it (i.e. make a post purely for the purposes of changing the date/time stamp and, thus, its position in the list). You might think this leads to chaos, but not so.

Very true. On the board I mentioned, we bump on occasion, often just with the word "bump." No one objects and the system works quite well.

Jared, that's good news--both that you're working on it, and that people will be able to choose the display that they prefer.

Margreet, I agree; I track interesting threads as well, and enjoy having a new post show up months later. I wasn't as concerned about my not seeing an interesting post as about someone not getting his/her post seen by others. Bumping, if used judiciously, takes care of that.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:55
Spanish
+ ...
That's great May 9, 2008

Jared wrote:

Hi all,

We are working on including this option for the forum listing (see also http://www.proz.com/topic/97984 ). The sorting will be optional, for those who prefer to see the forum listing as it is. Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,

Jared

It's been requested several times. Thanks!

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Change already made? May 9, 2008

It appears to be functioning as requested already! And with a list of how many replies the thread has received, which is very helpful. As soon as I noticed, I went to "Customize" but couldn't find a way to choose the old way of listing. I'm happy, but Margreet and others may not be. Also, I predict a lot of postings from confused people who have not been reading this thread!

Thanks, Jared and staff. I love it!

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
French to English
+ ...
On fire? May 9, 2008

Somewhere on the site (can't remember where) there's a list of forums with a little folder on fire symbol next to those generating a lot of interest. Could this not be shown on the first page as well to show hot topics?

Like Margreet I track those topics I'm particualrly interested in, but it's nice to know what's generating a lot of discussion too.

[Edited at 2008-05-09 18:20]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Half way there May 9, 2008

Hello again,

The sorting from the "recent posts", http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&action=Overview&cat_group=recent has been fixed. The option to customize this on the homepage will be up shortly. Hang in there!

Best regards,

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Update May 14, 2008

Please see http://www.proz.com/post/854953#854953 . Thanks!

Best regards,

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recent topics in translator forums list on home page

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »