Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Accepting credit cards payments - VISA, Mastercard logos on profile page?
Thread poster: Nicole Schnell
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 08:33
English to German
+ ...
@Thor Jul 30, 2008

Hi! One could translate a page or two every day and ship the invoice for the same, upon clearance ship the other pages at 1 or 3 day or so. This way the upfront payment burden is reduced both for the outsourcer also for the supplier, infact this is probably the best winning strategy where there is no contract of anykind, but just the poster and the bid.

One would have opportunity to attend to the requirements of other upfront paying customers. I think that solves it. Whoever said t
... See more
Hi! One could translate a page or two every day and ship the invoice for the same, upon clearance ship the other pages at 1 or 3 day or so. This way the upfront payment burden is reduced both for the outsourcer also for the supplier, infact this is probably the best winning strategy where there is no contract of anykind, but just the poster and the bid.

One would have opportunity to attend to the requirements of other upfront paying customers. I think that solves it. Whoever said that the parameters should be met as the poster says, many things happen in the aftermath for which neither the management nor the moderators or any kind of jury take up the responsibility. You are again on the street jack. BR Brandis

[Edited at 2008-07-30 21:49]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
30% down payment at the beginning Jul 30, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I assume the reason for arranging credit card payment would be to make unknown persons pay in advance - just like the Internet vendors who are not translators do. I have yet to try to buy ANYTHING over the Internet without having to pay for it in advance by credit card.

However, traditionally no-one would dream of paying for a translation in advance, at the point of ordering.

I would love to see the system changed, though!

Astrid

A German freelance graphic designer for example would never lift a finger without 30% down payment. No building contractor would dream of starting work without any down payment because they have to purchase material.

I was always wondering why freelance translators are supposed to be "the other" freelancers.

The clients usually are not familiar with the translation industry, BTW. So why not run your business like any other self employed person? It works.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Accepting payment by credit card Jul 31, 2008

Ivana Friis Wilson wrote:
Nicole, when I looked into accepting credit cards, the cost of set up etc wasn't exactly pennies - please tell me more of how you do this?

There are a number of ways (direct and indirect) that you can accept payment by credit card. One solution in my country (but I believe they cater for all countries) is Setcom.com. The fees are quite low but you must read the fine print.

The thing that puts me off credit cards is that little issue of chargebacks. If a payer initiates a chargeback (normally if he is dissatisfied with the product, or theoretically if he is malicious), the merchant is presumed guilty until proven innocent, and judgment is immediate. What does this mean? It means that the chargeback amount is paid back to the payer immediately, and the merchant pays a fine (eg USD 30.00) for having "caused" the chargeback.

If most of your clients are either agencies or local people, payment by credit card is unlikely to make payment easier than usual for the client, IMO.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Hi Samuel Jul 31, 2008

Thanks for your reply!

Neither agencies nor local clients will ever pay by credit card. What company / person of sound mind would want to pay interest when they can send a check instead?

Payment via credit card however opens up some niche markets. As I mentioned earlier, this works best for sporadic jobs with people / buyers from overseas or neighboring states with different currencies. In my case, Canadians are most likely to pay via credit card.

Regardi
... See more
Thanks for your reply!

Neither agencies nor local clients will ever pay by credit card. What company / person of sound mind would want to pay interest when they can send a check instead?

Payment via credit card however opens up some niche markets. As I mentioned earlier, this works best for sporadic jobs with people / buyers from overseas or neighboring states with different currencies. In my case, Canadians are most likely to pay via credit card.

Regarding the charge-backs:
We don't sell goods that can be returned within 10 days or similar like retail stores do. This event is most unlikely in our industry. Which in return means that charge-back fees might never occur as long as you are not planning on delivering shoddy work which might require a refund. Then you get punished.

[Edited at 2008-07-31 07:47]
Collapse

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:33
English to Finnish
+ ...
Paying by credit card can be very advantageous Jul 31, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Not all credit cards charge interest. Although I probably am not qualified to judge my own sanity, I very much prefer paying by credit card.

1. That gives me, on average, several weeks of interest-free payment time (assuming that I pay every card invoice in full).
  2. I accumulate Membership Rewards or similar points.
  3. It is convenient to settle just one invoice per month.
  4. I will have the option of initiating a chargeback, if needed.
  5. Tangible merchandise (although not translations, but I mention this anyhow) purchased may receive complimentary insurance cover.

In my neck of the woods, cheques have been obsolete for some time. If I pay through a bank, which is the prevalent means in business-to-business transactions,

1. my payment time will probably be shorter (resulting in a loss of interest),
  2. I will miss out on those lovely points that I could otherwise exchange for miscellaneous goodies,
  3. I may incur separate banking fees for every invoice I pay,
  4. no chargeback facility exists,
  5. and the bank will not provide free insurance or similar advantages.

Regarding the charge-backs:
We don't sell goods that can be returned within 10 days or similar like retail stores do. This event is most unlikely in our industry. Which in return means that charge-back fees might never occur as long as you are not planning on delivering shoddy work which might require a refund.

They might not, but then they might. As an example, an insolvent client may abuse the chargeback system in a desperate attempt to play for time.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accepting credit cards payments - VISA, Mastercard logos on profile page?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »