Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
What about a forum for women and mothers?
Thread poster: Silvia Barra (X)
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Alternative Jun 4, 2009

Hi all,

Issues related to freelancer lifestyles could be posted in the "Being independent" forum. This forum's description states "Independent professionals enjoy special benefits and face unique challenges. Compare notes"

Regards,
Enrique

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What will be the next? Pink Color? Jun 4, 2009

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
.... most translators are female and many with children, so it's very relevant.

So if most translators are female then if anyone would propose such idea like let's change the forum color into pink, then would it be also appropriate?

Jared, Please do not implement such separation in the forums "women and mothers or men and fathers", it looks like opening the "door of seperation".

As for the Freelance LifeStyle Forum I don't think it would be in line with the rules. Because Lifestyle may contain political and religious things (and once such forum would be opened you can not limit people to discuss their lifestyles) so I am against such implementation too.

Please do not modify or limit the existing Off-Topic Forum System.

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:42
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Here is a quick explanation for those who may be confused about how a professional works... Jun 4, 2009

Williamson wrote:

I don't quite understand how you can work concentrate fully on a project, do intensive searches and work to deliver on time with a baby crying in its cot, which has to be (breast)-fed and hubby off to work. Your life is not centred around translation,but being a mother and translating on the sideline to add an extra to hubbies income. So why bother to give this lady decent rates? That is the view of the general public.

Husbands, if they can't get themselves off to work, should probably not be allowed out in public anyhow.

Perhaps you should live in a field somewhere for free rather than a residence, so you don't need to worry yourself about all those things that may distract from your "intensive searches", like rent/mortgage, phone and other bills, buying groceries, feeding yourself a few times a day, getting dressed in the morning (indeed- getting yourself off to work as you put it). Better to be a robot with no life. After all, one would not want to see a posting called Translation: A Profession for Men with Daily Responsibilities in the Real World.

Just because YOU could not juggle everything, don't assume nobody can, and bloody well at that.

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A quick apology Jun 4, 2009

to all the fathers and others on this thread (hi Giovanni, Samuel and Tomas) who have been the voices of reason.

I will now quit ranting and get to work.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
French to English
Works for me Jun 4, 2009

Enrique wrote:
Issues related to freelancer lifestyles could be posted in the "Being independent" forum.

The same idea occurred to me as I toddled off to vote in the European elections at lunchtime.

I hadn't thought of making the background colour pink, though.
Perhaps we need a poll for that idea.
FWIW, my g/f loathes pink and I have to sneak strawberry ice cream into the house under cover of darkness and inject it with blue dye.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pink? NEVER! Jun 4, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
So if most translators are female then if anyone would propose such idea like let's change the forum color into pink, then would it be also appropriate?

No, I would NEVER agree to a pink background colour. Now, if you had said neon pink... I might support that!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
I disagree Jun 4, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

As for the Freelance LifeStyle Forum I don't think it would be in line with the rules. Because Lifestyle may contain political and religious things (and once such forum would be opened you can not limit people to discuss their lifestyles) so I am against such implementation too.

While I agree that at first a "freelancer lifestyle" might be deemed as a place to discuss ALL lifestyle topics, I see no reason for it to become a can of worms if it is clearly stated that only postings related to job issues will be accepted, as per proz's rules.

Andrea

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Again with the stereotypes Jun 4, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

No, I would NEVER agree to a pink background colour. Now, if you had said neon pink... I might support that!

FWIW, I hate pink.

Andrea

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
French to English
Please, no jumping to conclusions Jun 4, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:
FWIW, my g/f loathes pink and I have to sneak strawberry ice cream into the house under cover of darkness and inject it with blue dye.

Andrea wrote:
FWIW, I hate pink.

Please be aware that lots of people hate pink.
See you all on the "Being independent" forum...

[Edited at 2009-06-04 14:58 GMT]

Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Lifestyles, politics and religion Jun 4, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

(...) Because Lifestyle may contain political and religious things (and once such forum would be opened you can not limit people to discuss their lifestyles) so I am against such implementation too.

Please do not modify or limit the existing Off-Topic Forum System.

This is probably the only thing I agree on with you in this forum. Seeing what happens in my country, the official religion in my country believes practically every aspect of life has to do with religion, so that it has the right to recommend and try to implement behaviour rules concerning almost everything.

Politics also can concern practically everything, also in our profession.

So, considering this and seeing that many of us feel the need to debate issues, even if religion and politics may feel "personally" involved, I suggest that everyone just takes a step back, sticks to his/her own beliefs, if he/she wishes, and let others discuss freely, although in a correct and respectful manner.

Even if the issues discussed touch one's religious or political beliefs. In a global network this is unavoidable.

To give a simple example, if in a lifestyle forum I say that I drove my children to school racing through Rome, a colleague in Saudi Arabia might feel disturbed seeing that in that country women are not allowed to drive.

But this cannot prevent me from writing this or saying that I have bargained with my partner that we share household duties, just because in some place in the world this is considered wrong.

One thing is very sensitive issues, another is the respect of internationally recognised human rights.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
This is just hilarious Jun 4, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

As for the Freelance LifeStyle Forum I don't think it would be in line with the rules. Because Lifestyle may contain political and religious things...

Are you suggesting all women like the color pink? Are you suggesting women are the kind to force others' environments to be painted their favorite color? And here I was thinking that pink was the colour of homosexuals and little girls! It makes me wonder if you've ever met a woman at all...

Pray tell how the topic of lifestyle would be tainted with posts on politics and religion - I need to be enlightened here.

In any case, there are several topics on this forum that I am filtering out so they don't even show on the homepage. I have no problem with their existence as I know these have a use for others, and I simply ignore them. Surely, you could do the same with a possible lifestyle forum...

A question to Enrique
If someone posts a parenting-related question in the Being Independent forum, would it need to be off topic?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Site scope Jun 4, 2009

Hi all,

Viktoria, the site's scope is at http://www.proz.com/scope . This should help in deciding whether a post should be off topic (or not made on ProZ.com at all).

Els, thanks for posting the other thread! Looks like it's going well so far.

I think we've reached a point where the discussion has run its course, and to avoid further conflicts in this thread, let's end it
... See more
Hi all,

Viktoria, the site's scope is at http://www.proz.com/scope . This should help in deciding whether a post should be off topic (or not made on ProZ.com at all).

Els, thanks for posting the other thread! Looks like it's going well so far.

I think we've reached a point where the discussion has run its course, and to avoid further conflicts in this thread, let's end it here. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Health and lifestyle for language professionals forum Jun 8, 2009

Hello all,

I'd just like to post an update which may be of interest to those who participated here. A Health and lifestyle for language professionals forum has been created, and can be viewed here: http://www.proz.com/forum/748

Sorry for the confusion which may have been generated by the previous suggestions as to where to post this type of topic. To start with, I've moved Els' top
... See more
Hello all,

I'd just like to post an update which may be of interest to those who participated here. A Health and lifestyle for language professionals forum has been created, and can be viewed here: http://www.proz.com/forum/748

Sorry for the confusion which may have been generated by the previous suggestions as to where to post this type of topic. To start with, I've moved Els' topic to the new forum. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about a forum for women and mothers?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »