Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:53
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 16, 2022

It's Sunday afternoon. A late start to start up my PC and check my mails. I have one inbox mail from Proz job. I click it, and something weird happens. I cannot open the job page, but instead I get the following message: "One more step Please complete the security check to access www.proz.com, I am human." When I ticked the box "I am human", then comes the next step. "Please tick all the buses you see in the photos"... See more
It's Sunday afternoon. A late start to start up my PC and check my mails. I have one inbox mail from Proz job. I click it, and something weird happens. I cannot open the job page, but instead I get the following message: "One more step Please complete the security check to access www.proz.com, I am human." When I ticked the box "I am human", then comes the next step. "Please tick all the buses you see in the photos". I selected all of them, and when I move to the next page, I have to take the same step again. I haven't missed any buses on the two pages of photos, but I cannot proceed to the next step, which is the job page. I try this a few times, but nothing happens and it's just repetitions of the previous steps I have been taking. So I try accessing the Proz page, http://www.proz.com, and the same thing happens. Up to this point, I tried opening the Proz page on Internet Explorer, but to no avail. So I switch to Microsoft Edge, going through all the procedures, and at last I can open the Proz page and the job page.

My questions are: Is it really necessary for Proz to verify if I am a robot or a human being every time I access Proz? What harm is there if a robot tries to access the Proz site and starts browsing the Job pages, Kudoz, Forums, etc.? Do I have to go through the whole trouble just to access Proz by ticking on photos of certain objects each time I want to check out the features of Proz?

This is really hectic and meaningless IMO, and I would like to know if others feel the same way. I would also like to hear from Site Staff(s) who came up with this ridiculous idea.
Collapse

Tanja Oresnik
Philip Lees
Susanne Döring
Walter Landesman
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
mike23

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:53
Greek to English
Ridiculous Jan 16, 2022

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I would like to know if others feel the same way. I would also like to hear from Site Staff(s) who came up with this ridiculous idea.

I, too, just had to waste five minutes of my time on this ridiculous business. Please stop it.

Nathalie SERIEYS
Susanne Döring
Walter Landesman
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Hans Lenting
mike23

Susanne Döring
Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
... and this creates problems with my CafeTran Jan 16, 2022

Hello,

thank you for the question. Since yesterday I cannot get CafeTran to connect to Proz because of this security check - see here:
https://www.proz.com/post/2939638

Just now I had to pass it to open this site and got the idea that this is rather a Proz.com problem, not CafeTran, now I wanted to post it and read your text. Could someone please tell me how to get over t
... See more
Hello,

thank you for the question. Since yesterday I cannot get CafeTran to connect to Proz because of this security check - see here:

Just now I had to pass it to open this site and got the idea that this is rather a Proz.com problem, not CafeTran, now I wanted to post it and read your text. Could someone please tell me how to get over this? Here it works, but at CafeTran I don't get to see the captcha, so I have no possibility to click anything and cannot connect - and cannot work.

Thanks to everybody who knows a workaround or can disable this.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Hans Lenting
Tom in London

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Open a ticket at Proz Jan 16, 2022

rheinsberg wrote:

Hello,

Just now I had to pass it to open this site and got the idea that this is rather a Proz.com problem, not CafeTran, now I wanted to post it and read your text. Could someone please tell me how to get over this? Here it works, but at CafeTran I don't get to see the captcha, so I have no possibility to click anything and cannot connect - and cannot work.

Thanks to everybody who knows a workaround or can disable this.

Did you already open a support ticket at Proz? I don’t think they read all messages like these.

The new captchas are very irritating. I hope that Proz removes them right away.

It shows how depending on a third-party’s API can cause serious problems for users of a software.

Tom in London
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Mr. Satan (X)

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Before the weekend Jan 16, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I would like to know if others feel the same way. I would also like to hear from Site Staff(s) who came up with this ridiculous idea.

I, too, just had to waste five minutes of my time on this ridiculous business. Please stop it.

What a waste of time indeed. It was a really bad idea to launch this just before leaving for the weekend. Quite incredible, actually.

Tom in London
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Mr. Satan (X)
Oriol Vives (X)

Susanne Döring
Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
Ticket Jan 16, 2022

No, not yet. I am not great at technical stuff so I usually try my best to troubleshoot myself first or ask for advice like here, in order not to burden the service unnecessarily. This already saved me from opening a ticket at CafeTran as I meanwhile found out the problem is not in the software.
Now I thought the reason might be that some days ago when I got an email from Proz reminding me of updating my profile I changed the visibilit of my name - I changed back now and restarted everyth
... See more
No, not yet. I am not great at technical stuff so I usually try my best to troubleshoot myself first or ask for advice like here, in order not to burden the service unnecessarily. This already saved me from opening a ticket at CafeTran as I meanwhile found out the problem is not in the software.
Now I thought the reason might be that some days ago when I got an email from Proz reminding me of updating my profile I changed the visibilit of my name - I changed back now and restarted everything in order to see if the connection would work now. But somehow the CafeTran tab with the link does not show me the captcha. If this persists I will of course open a ticket - but anyway it is sunday so I think I will have to wait anyhow and maybe I will get it to work eventually.
Thank you for your comment.

But yes, I agree: it is a big loss of time.
Collapse

Tom in London
expressisverbis

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:53
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
I have opened a ticket Jan 16, 2022

Dear all,

even though I had to tap on images "only" 2 times, I admit that it's quite annoying for humans.
There must be a reason for that but I hope there will be a more human-friendly solution.

😊

Giuliana

Yasutomo Kanazawa
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Mr. Satan (X)
Angie Garbarino

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:53
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Clean your cookies. Jan 16, 2022

I think this happens because of your browser and cookies. Try deleting history and cookies first, then restart the browser and possibly also your PC.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
Security check Jan 16, 2022

The same thing happened to me today. I had to "prove that you are not a robot" and tick which photos were buses on multiple screens.
Surely proz.com has better things to do than engage in these shenanigans.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Mr. Satan (X)
Christel Zipfel

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:53
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Just no Jan 16, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

I think this happens because of your browser and cookies. Try deleting history and cookies first, then restart the browser and possibly also your PC.

You don't think that's going to get a bit tiring if you visit ProZ regularly? I'm perfectly OK with added security being a thing, but it should be something I can opt into, not something that's forced on me without my say so. It's my security, after all.

Tom in London
ahartje
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Mr. Satan (X)
Alison Jenner
Angie Garbarino

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
History and Cookies Have Nothing to do with this Security Check Jan 16, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Hi Lingua 5B,
I don't think this Security Check is happening because of my browser and cookies. To prove that, I am not the only one experiencing difficulties trying to access Proz like they could have done yesterday or the day before.

Walter Landesman
Mr. Satan (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bad idea Jan 16, 2022

If this is what Proz thinks of as"innovation" there are about a million other, better things I think they could be doing.

This pointless "security check" is simply going to prevent people from bothering to log in, thereby making Proz impossible to use.

[Edited at 2022-01-16 11:22 GMT]

NOTE ADDED LATER

On further reflection while shaving (some of my best thoughts come while shaving)- it may be a serious security issue that required a quick fix. See m
... See more
If this is what Proz thinks of as"innovation" there are about a million other, better things I think they could be doing.

This pointless "security check" is simply going to prevent people from bothering to log in, thereby making Proz impossible to use.

[Edited at 2022-01-16 11:22 GMT]

NOTE ADDED LATER

On further reflection while shaving (some of my best thoughts come while shaving)- it may be a serious security issue that required a quick fix. See my subsequent post on the next page.

[Edited at 2022-01-16 11:34 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Mr. Satan (X)

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jan 16, 2022

I had to go security checks once again to read and reply to the comments to the topic I opened. That's my second time today, and if this persists, it really discourages me from accessing Proz EVERY TIME I want to check something on this site. I didn't get any mails or notifications or whatsoever from Proz that they were going to introduce security check when accessing.

@Giuliana
Thanks for submitting a Support Ticket to the Site Staff.

Tom in London
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Time-wasting Jan 16, 2022

rheinsberg wrote:

Now I thought the reason might be that some days ago when I got an email from Proz reminding me of updating my profile I changed the visibilit of my name - I changed back now and restarted everything in order to see if the connection would work now. But somehow the CafeTran tab with the link does not show me the captcha. If this persists I will of course open a ticket - but anyway it is sunday so I think I will have to wait anyhow and maybe I will get it to work eventually.
Thank you for your comment.

But yes, I agree: it is a big loss of time.

As a CafeTran user I followed the discussion on this issue https://tinyurl.com/ycy4ccch yesterday. Various people giving of themselves and their time to try out various solutions in an attempt to overcome an issue that, as we now see, is not a CafeTran problem at all. And to have done it over a weekend! Proz need to think through the implications of what they are doing, before they implement changes. And I still don't understand why this new security check thing is necessary. I don't expect to ever see an explanation. Maybe they think we should log in once and then stay logged in all day? Does anyone have any other suggestions as to why they have done this?

[Edited at 2022-01-16 10:46 GMT]

Philip Lees
Susanne Döring

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Cookies can’t do it simultaneously in all user PCs Jan 16, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Cookies can’t clog your computer one day, one moment, for many users simultaneously.

Susanne Döring
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Mr. Satan (X)
Angie Garbarino

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a Security Check really necessary?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »