Eli Knutsen
Eli Knutsen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 13:31
Member (2016)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Nov 28, 2022

The new design is so full of contrasts that it makes my eyes tired from using the page. I switched back to the old design today. It is so much more 'collected' and calmer to look at. It makes it much easier to find what you need. As a web designer, I do however question the choice of colours behind the text. Why not change to a light grey instead of the yellow. The yellow makes it look a bit outdated.

Angie Garbarino
Tom in London
Christel Zipfel
Yaotl Altan
Philip Lees
Tanja Oresnik
Zea_Mays

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yeoow Nov 28, 2022

Eli Knutsen wrote:

The new design is so full of contrasts that it makes my eyes tired from using the page. I switched back to the old design today. It is so much more 'collected' and calmer to look at. It makes it much easier to find what you need. As a web designer, I do however question the choice of colours behind the text. Why not change to a light grey instead of the yellow. The yellow makes it look a bit outdated.

I agree about the yellow - it was always wrong.

Cameron Santiago
Cameron Santiago
Pakistan
Proz new design Nov 28, 2022

Eli Knutsen wrote:

I totally agree with you. Light grey put an amazing look to it instead of yellow.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
What service or page are you specifically referring to? Nov 28, 2022

Hello Eli,

Eli Knutsen wrote:

Are you referring to the new KudoZ design released in 2020? If so, please feel free to post feedback and suggestions for improvement on the related thread: https://www.proz.com/topic/340079

If you are referring to some other page or area, please let us know. Thanks!

Lucia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yellow is good Nov 28, 2022

Eli Knutsen wrote:
Why not change to a light grey instead of the yellow. The yellow makes it look a bit outdated.

As a user, I don't care about whether something "looks old" or "looks new", but rather whether it is a pleasure to use. The black text on yellow background is actually much easier to read than black text on e.g. grey background would have been. To achieve the same legibility, if the background was grey, the text would have to be made thicker.

That said, #fafafa does look somewhat more classy... but it's less easy on the eye if you stare at it for a period of time:

yellow

[Edited at 2022-11-28 21:56 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Hans Lenting
Darius Sciuka
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Black & yellow Nov 28, 2022

58C77440-60C3-4427-A4EB-BBD0218241E5

https://uxpickle.com/what-is-the-best-color-combination-for-on-screen-reading/

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:31
Greek to English
Vote of thanks Nov 29, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

The black text on yellow background is actually much easier to read than black text on e.g. grey background would have been.

I agree. We should give the ProZ site managers a vote of thanks for leaving the old version accessible, and I hope they will continue to do so, so that I can continue to use it. "Oldie but goldie," as they say.

The worst is the modern tendency to use "grey on grey" as the default colour combination for blocks of text, making them barely legible. These old eyes struggle with that kind of thing. (Yes, I know there's a way around that.)

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
writeaway
Michele Fauble
Rachel Fell
Cetacea
Silke Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The new design on Proz.com

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »