Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 14, 2023

Again, ProZ.com is asking me to "give translator feedback" on agencies.

I suspect these agencies have "translator" profiles at ProZ.com, which is why ProZ.com thinks that they are "translators". All of the options that I can choose when rating them, relate to them being individual human freelance translators, and they are... agencies. How about this: add an item "This is a translation agency", which drops down a box with similar questions, but related to agencies.

translator feedback

I don't mind giving feedback about these agencies -- some of them send me a lot of work and their PMs are quite professional. But I can't give them feedback as if they are translators.

We can get away with calling agencies "service providers", I guess, so I can tick the box at "Yes, I would work again with this service provider" in good faith, but I neither outsourced to them nor did I work with them as a colleague (calling a client a "colleague" is a bit of a stretch), and I can't submit this form without selecting one of the first three options.

translator feedback2

Look, if you don't want to create custom questions for agencies, then how about this: add a 4th option "I have worked with this service provider in some other way" or "This service provider has outsourced work to me" (for what an agency does to translators can, with a bit of imagination, be called "outsourcing").

And change "him/her" to "they", because the agency is not a "him/her". All three the agencies that I'm asked to rate here have multiple PMs and an accounting department, so they're not kitchen table agencies. There is no "him/her" here.

[Edited at 2023-02-14 06:37 GMT]

Nikolay Novitskiy
Robert Forstag
Philip Lees

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:17
Member (2018)
English to Russian
And change "him/her" to "they" Feb 14, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

And change "him/her" to "they", because the agency is not a "him/her".

That's quite an interesting question of what pronoun to use. I think it depends on how does the agency identify itself! We can use:

- "it/its/its" if it identifies itself as a company
- "we/us/ours" if it identifies itself as a collective mind with individualities merged
- "he/him/his" if it identifies itself as a male person
- "she/her/hers" if it identifies itself as a female person
- "they/them/theirs" if it identifies itself as a group of people
- "zrlta'n/zrlta'r/zrlta't" if it identifies itself as zrlta'z

etc...

Christopher Schröder

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The English "they" Feb 14, 2023

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:
- "it/its/its" if it identifies itself as a company
- "they/them/theirs" if it identifies itself as a group of people

In English, "they" can be used to refer to a single entity such as a company or even an individual person. It's called the "singular they". Purists dislike it, but it's very, very common in modern formal English.

Sebastian Witte
Angie Garbarino
Robert Forstag
Joe France
Kevin Fulton
mughwI
John Fossey

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Missed the joke Feb 14, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
In English, "they" can be used to refer to a single entity such as a company or even an individual person. It's called the "singular they". Purists dislike it, but it's very, very common in modern formal English.

Indeed, but I’m sure Nikolay is well aware of that. It seems clear to me that it was intended as a joke!

Sebastian Witte
Nikolay Novitskiy
Stephen Fennell

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Feb 15, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

It's called the "singular they". Purists dislike it, but it's very, very common in modern formal English.

English to German translators hate it

[Edited at 2023-02-15 12:48 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Purism Feb 16, 2023

Jan Truper wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

It's called the "singular they". Purists dislike it

German translators hate it

I fear that history may repeat itself again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Once again, these are not translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »