Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions! Sep 30, 2009

Hello all,

Thanks for the great ideas here expressed. They will be certainly taken into account for future contests.

As for the issue with agreements/disagreements visibility and the mistake in votes, would you mind submitting a support request?

Thanks!

Regards,

Lucia

Ledja
Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:42
English to Albanian
+ ...
Troubleshooting Sep 30, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks for the great ideas here expressed. They will be certainly taken into account for future contests.

As for the issue with agreements/disagreements visibility and the mistake in votes, would you mind submitting a support request?

Thanks!

Regards,

Lucia

Hi Lucia,

I already submitted a support request and the issue is being looked into.

Thanks.

Ledja

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ledja! Oct 1, 2009

In effect, our developers are working on the issue you report.

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:42
Russian to English
+ ...
an addition to "nitpickers" post Oct 9, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

"The play's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king."
--W. Shakespeare, Hamlet

Nitpicker reviewer: "Dislike"
Comment: Grammar error. No apostrophes in formal writing.

I can't resist adding this one:

"We are such stuff
As dreams are made on..."
--W. Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Nitpicker reviewer: "Awkward"
No comments, 5 "agrees"

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Please think something better Oct 11, 2009

I am writing about likes/dislikes.

It is very unfair and most of the users use it for strategical purposes (helping the favorite text to win or balancing own text with others)

I have written about it before; And Henry said that it is not very important and it's usage just for information to voters.

No! It has great importance than you say.

First of all you give their amounts at the top of the window (Has received xx likes or xx dislikes from xx
... See more
I am writing about likes/dislikes.

It is very unfair and most of the users use it for strategical purposes (helping the favorite text to win or balancing own text with others)

I have written about it before; And Henry said that it is not very important and it's usage just for information to voters.

First of all you give their amounts at the top of the window (Has received xx likes or xx dislikes from xx users). And you are doing nothing for amateur taggers.
The voters has not enough time to read all of them. It is obvious that you put this option for helping them. Then why don't you control it as needed? Giving a little place to answer and moreover it cuts the sentences.

Someone who does not have enough knowledge about how to evaluate a translation or has ill-intentions can affect the decisions of the professional evaluators. (A professional evaluator usually has not more time to read all of those 20, 50*, 10 entries)

Also, when I looked at the previous contests I discovered several people who do not use the site at all (I see profile update time) only become active during the contests. That is very strange. How is it possible? A person does not use forums, kudoz or any other part of the site and comes only for entering likes/dislike and for voting in the contest? Am I too paranoiac?

Also one more thing; although everyone reject it, there are lobbying activities begin during the contest. After all you can't stop communication between people right?

Please think something better than like/dislike tags. Those tags are really against the participants and easy for manipulation and speculation.

Also I don't see the purpose not to show agrees/disagrees to those tags unless you are not agree or disagree.
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestions Oct 11, 2009

Hello M. Ali,

As explained in http://www.proz.com/post/1221016#1221016 , the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants. So, I agree with you in that the feature should not be used with strategic purposes.

Of course tagging is important. However, note that finalists and winners are not determined by tags but they are selected depending on the ratings and votes received respectively. So, even if an entry has many 'Dislike' tags, these tags only represent taggers opinions.

First of all you give their amounts at the top of the window (Has received xx likes or xx dislikes from xx users). And you are doing nothing for amateur taggers.
The voters has not enough time to read all of them. It is obvious that you put this option for helping them.

Information on tags is not provided to help new taggers to decide their ratings or votes but for all participants to compare notes with other raters and voters.

Also, when I looked at the previous contests I discovered several people who do not use the site at all (I see profile update time) only become active during the contests. That is very strange. How is it possible? A person does not use forums, kudoz or any other part of the site and comes only for entering likes/dislike and for voting in the contest? Am I too paranoiac?

Note that this does not violate any rule. Site users are not required to be active participants in the site (KudoZ, forums, etc.) to participate in a contest by tagging, rating and/or voting. Translation contests are meant as a chance to learn, improve translating skills and have fun. So, everyone is invited to participate.

Also one more thing; although everyone reject it, there are lobbying activities begin during the contest. After all you can't stop communication between people right?

If you have evidence that any site rule or contest rule is being violated, then you should report it directly to site staff through the support system.

Also I don't see the purpose not to show agrees/disagrees to those tags unless you are not agree or disagree.

Agrees/disagrees in tags are not shown until an agree or a disagree is entered to avoid precisely what you state in your post: using this system with strategic purposes. In any case, this system may be improved for future contests.

Regards,

Lucia

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:42
French to German
+ ...
No contester should be allowed to vote Oct 11, 2009

As per what has been written before, I would simply suggest that no contester should be allowed to vote. I don't know if this is technically feasible, but such votes cannot be neutral and therefore should not be allowed.

[Edited at 2009-10-11 17:13 GMT]

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
How come? Oct 11, 2009

How come we even have to say that no contester should be allowed to vote?

I don't understand.

Mark Berelekhis
Mark Berelekhis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:42
Russian to English
+ ...
You can't vote for your own entry, so there's no harm in it Oct 12, 2009

Hence, if you truly believe that another entry is better than yours, go for it.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Right Oct 12, 2009

Mark Berelekhis wrote:

I agree
I think there is nothing wrong with voting power as it is an hidden action.
The problem is with the like/dislike tags, they are visible and directly effect the votes.
And once a participant receives it, he/she can't provide enough explanation (due to the character limitation and cut sentences)

It looks like a situation;

Somebody says - "This is a mistranslation"
And your answer - "Well, let me explain" THE END

Let's compare them:

- This tagger has right to highlight this portion, to select an explanation from the menu (grammar, mistranslation etc), to write a supportive phrase (which is very short and strict)

And now your rights;

- Your answer will be very short (and you have no guarantee that it will be interrupted in the middle of the sentence), your answer won't be seen unless somebody agrees or disagrees with this tag, your answer will be visible at the top as a disagreement (but pay attention that the tagger's tag will be seen as a DISLIKE and a dislike always has more power than an invisible disagreement)

Can you name this game for me with another words?
Let's cook someone's goose

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Case closed Oct 12, 2009

Mark Berelekhis wrote:

You can't vote for your own entry, so there's no harm in it

I was not aware of the fact that we could not vote for our own entry. However, this does not prevent someone (a contestant for that matter) to vote other entries down. Case closed.

[Edited at 2009-10-12 04:59 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »