Thread poster: Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Local time: 18:01
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Dissatisfaction with contests Aug 2, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

For a while I did consider the Translation Contest both entertaining and challenging but I stopped taking part a few years ago and I don’t vote nor rate any entry as it has been going from bad to worse year after year.

Maria Teresa, we're sorry to hear that and are open to suggestions from members in order to improve the contests. We believe they are an excellent way to increase job opporunities and have fun at the same time.
Thank you for your message.
Regards,
Ana
Member Services
ProZ.com

Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Problems in contests Aug 2, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

I believe Proz have provided this initiative and continue to do so with good intent.
I have never participated or voted ever. I just "investigated" what was going on there.
Something that was meant to be a fair play turned into a wild race, imho...
The last time I did it, the winner of the European Portuguese translation contest was a Brazilian member.
By chance I noticed this and replied in a thread similar to this one. Fortunately, I was heard and the staff corrected the problem.
As long as problems like this or others happen, the contest will lose its "life" and some members will lose their interest as well.

We highly appreciate your comments and suggestions as serving members is one of our main goals. Thank you for your interest .
Regards,

Ana
Member Services
The Proz.com Team

expressisverbis

Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Order of entries Aug 2, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

For a while I did consider the Translation Contest both entertaining and challenging but I stopped taking part a few years ago and I don’t vote nor rate any entry as it has been going from bad to worse year after year.

May I ask in what sense it has become worse?

From time to time I participate, I find it sometimes challenging, entertaining a bit less.
Looking at my combinations (en, de, it > de, it), there are so many entries
that it is almost impossible to actually read them all, let alone rate them.
I wonder for example if the entries are displayed in random order every time you open the page,
or if the order is always the same.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-07-31 18:55 GMT]

Please check these out https://www.proz.com/faq/3553#3553
I hope it helps!

Ana
Member Services

Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Language pairs open to non-members Aug 2, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

So, where can I see whether this contest is open to non-paying members (i.e. what ProZ.com calls "users") in a particular language combination?

Dear Samuel, thank you for taking interest in our translation contests. During the submission phase, a list of language pairs for members only is displayed at the top of the contest page. Also, a "submit" button will appear if you are allowed to make entries in that pair.
Please let me know if I could help you with anything else.
Best regards,

Ana
The ProZ Team

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:01
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Where is the order mentioned? Aug 2, 2023

Ana Moirano wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:
(...)
I wonder for example if the entries are displayed in random order every time you open the page,

I hope it helps!

Ana
Member Services

Hi Ana,
Thank you for the link! Perhaps it's me, but I did not found an explanation
on the entries order. I think displaying them randomly every time the page is opened
would be best.

Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Entries order Aug 4, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Ana Moirano wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:
(...)

I hope it helps!

Ana
Member Services

Hi Ana,
Thank you for the link! Perhaps it's me, but I did not found an explanation
on the entries order. I think displaying them randomly every time the page is opened
would be best.

Hi, you're right, sorry for my mistake. Here goes the proper explanation:

"When regular members view this page, they see the entries in pages of five, with the order determined randomly. Once the order is determined for a given viewer, the order will remain the same for that viewer each time he/she visits the page (provided they are logged in)."
Regards,
Ana

Zea_Mays

Roberto Recio
Roberto Recio  Identity Verified
Cuba
Local time: 17:01
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
¿How are tag comments vetted? Sep 3, 2023

Hello,

Could anyone please tell me how comment vetting works? I've seen something relating to this in the FAQ (https://www.proz.com/faq/13715#13715):

"3.9 - Will comments included in tags show immediately? [Direct link]
No. Comments accompanying tags will be subject to vetting by site staff and only purely linguistic comments in line with Sit
... See more
Hello,

Could anyone please tell me how comment vetting works? I've seen something relating to this in the FAQ (https://www.proz.com/faq/13715#13715):

No. Comments accompanying tags will be subject to vetting by site staff and only purely linguistic comments in line with Site rules will be approved."

I understand that the comments must be linguistic and must comply with Site rules. However, I'd like to know if they are also vetted for accuracy, for example.
Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Regarding tags... Sep 3, 2023

How are multiple tags of the same term/phrase counted?
I saw this happen quite often - people tag the same phrase or word again,
instead of agreeing with an already existing tag on the same phrase/word.

Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Comment vetting rules Sep 3, 2023

Roberto Recio wrote:

Hello,

No. Comments accompanying tags will be subject to vetting by site staff and only purely linguistic comments in line with Site rules will be approved."

I understand that the comments must be linguistic and must comply with Site rules. However, I'd like to know if they are also vetted for accuracy, for example.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Roberto, as you cited, comments are vetted by staff members regarding linguistic competence and site rules compliance only. Accuracy issues are adresssed (or not) by peers.
I hope this helps.
Ana

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
What about Sep 3, 2023

What about when someone marks the Disagree purely because 'X word would be a better option'? It means that the word chosen wasn't exactly wrong but X word would be better. Does that count as wrong entry or what?

Zea_Mays

Roberto Recio
Cuba
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Linguistic" Sep 3, 2023

Ana Moirano wrote:

Roberto Recio wrote:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Roberto, as you cited, comments are vetted by staff members regarding linguistic competence and site rules compliance only. Accuracy issues are adresssed (or not) by peers.
I hope this helps.
Ana

Hi Ana. Thank you for your prompt answer. Actually, my point is that, in the FAQ, it only reads that the comments must be "linguistic", not demonstrate "linguistic competence" by any standard. For example, I asked the question in the first place because I usually get a notice like: "Your comment will be vetted before it is made public". And I am glad that all comments are vetted. However, I've seen many tag comments which are in obvious contradiction with the actual type of tag (e.g. a "Like" tag saying/implying that a given part of the translation is incorrect). And that is to say something anyone could notice, because I could also argue that some of the comments are linguistically inaccurate—and this is an understatement. But that is just my opinion.

Roberto Recio
Cuba
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here! Sep 3, 2023

Josephine Cassar wrote:

What about when someone marks the Disagree purely because 'X word would be a better option'? It means that the word chosen wasn't exactly wrong but X word would be better. Does that count as wrong entry or what?

I too have seen that lately. It could be argued that other peers' comments would set that right, but I think that's not the case, since you cannot further comment on Agree/Disagree comments. All you can do is add your own "Agree" or "Disagree"; but only a few people do so, at least in my pair, and that will likely result in those "wrong" entries being representative at the end of the day.

Zea_Mays

Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
"linguistic" comments Sep 4, 2023

Roberto Recio wrote:

Ana Moirano wrote:

Roberto Recio wrote:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

I hope this helps.
Ana

Hi Ana. Thank you for your prompt answer. Actually, my point is that, in the FAQ, it only reads that the comments must be "linguistic", not demonstrate "linguistic competence" by any standard. For example, I asked the question in the first place because I usually get a notice like: "Your comment will be vetted before it is made public". And I am glad that all comments are vetted. However, I've seen many tag comments which are in obvious contradiction with the actual type of tag (e.g. a "Like" tag saying/implying that a given part of the translation is incorrect). And that is to say something anyone could notice, because I could also argue that some of the comments are linguistically inaccurate—and this is an understatement. But that is just my opinion.

You're right Roberto. I meant "language related comments", sorry, that was my mistake. When vetting tags, site staff observe compliance to site rules only, as: "... the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants. Winners are determined by the rating/votes their entries receive."
Regards,
Ana

Roberto Recio

Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Tagging Sep 4, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

How are multiple tags of the same term/phrase counted?
I saw this happen quite often - people tag the same phrase or word again,
instead of agreeing with an already existing tag on the same phrase/word.

Hi there!
Each tag is counted, and likes/dislikes are also counted, in that this information is shown along with the entry. However, tagging and comments do not directly determine whether an entry advances or wins in a contest. In qualifications, the ratings for Quality and Accuracy are what determine which entries move to finals, and in finals, the votes are what determine the winning entries. Tagging and commenting may be useful as feedback on an entry, but the ratings and/or votes are what are really counted.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Ana

Zea_Mays
Roberto Recio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vote and rate for your favourite entries in the current Translation Contest

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »