Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:16
Member (2004)
English to French
May 5, 2002

I would like to wish all my Romanian translator colleagues and their families a Happy Easter.

Christos Anviat!

Nina Khmielnitzky

Red Cat Studios
Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:16
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Adevarat a inviat! May 5, 2002

Your wishes are most welcome in our hearts! Please receive ours in response, as sincere as yours.

Adevarat a inviat! Is risen indeed!

Rodica Levitchi
Rodica Levitchi
English to Romanian
+ ...
Hristos a inviat! May 6, 2002

As vrea sa urez un Paste Fericit tuturor!

Fie ca aceasta mare sarbatoare a sufletului sa ne ajute sa iertam si sa ne simtim cat mai aproape unii de altii, indiferent in ce colt al lumii ne-am afla si in ce limba am asculta slujba de Paste. Iata o ocazie in care nu-i nevoie de traducatori - lumanarile aprinse, semn al sperantei, vorbesc de la sine si fac din marea de oameni care le poarta un intreg indisolubil.

Rodica

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:16
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Translation please... May 7, 2002

Hi,

I don\'t speak Romanian, although my husband is Romanian. I don\'t understand what you wrote.

Regards,

Nina

Tudor Soiman
Tudor Soiman  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:16
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Hristos a inviat Aug 21, 2002

Quote:

First, Christos is whatever you want but not the Romanian name of our Lord, which is HRISTOS (Iisus Hristos)

The English term relates to Estre, a Teutonic goddess of the rising light of day and spring.

Today, Orthodox Christians call this holiday the Pasch (as in paschal lamb - Pasti -plural - in Romanian), which is the Greek word for Passover. In Anglican churches, the designation Sunday of the Resurrection is oft... See more
Quote:

First, Christos is whatever you want but not the Romanian name of our Lord, which is HRISTOS (Iisus Hristos)

The English term relates to Estre, a Teutonic goddess of the rising light of day and spring.

Today, Orthodox Christians call this holiday the Pasch (as in paschal lamb - Pasti -plural - in Romanian), which is the Greek word for Passover. In Anglican churches, the designation Sunday of the Resurrection is often preferred over Easter and in Lutheran liturgy, it is called The Resurrection of Our Lord.

Roughly speaking, the western Church consists of Protestants, Catholics, and Anglicans. The Eastern Church consists of the Eastern Orthodox churches (most of them autocephalous, including the Romanian Orthodox Church), the Oriental Orthodox churches, and the eastern-rite churches affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church.

The Orthodox have a solemn procession at midnight, before Matins, during which they sing at the door of the church, repeating after each verse the Easter antiphon. When the procession leaves, the church is dark; when it returns, hundreds of candles and coloured lamps are lit to represent the splendour of Christ\'s Resurrection. After Lauds, all those who are present give each other the Easter kiss, not excluding even the beggar. One says: \"Christ is risen= HRISTOS A INVIAT\"; the other answers: \"He is truly risen= ADEVARAT A INVIAT\"; and these words are the Eastern Churches\' greeting during Easter time.

A similar custom had, through the influence of the Byzantine court, been adopted at Rome for a time. The greeting was, Surrexit Dominus vere; R. Et apparuit Simoni.

Tradition is observed in Romania although most of the people no longer are true believers. However, they greet each other with the above every time they meet during the first three days of the octave (and some, fewer and fewer, the forty days till the Ascension). (late, but i\'ve just rad your mesage. dradum
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Christos Anviat

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »