Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Local time: 17:44
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Apr 17, 2004

Dear friends,

I am quite desperate. My clients will only pay per source word... and the source is a PDF file. Only thing we've been able to get from this is an RTF file which nearly eliminates all words with special format (italics, bold...) - thus making the wordcount useless.

Now, I need to know how to count source words in a trustworthy way or else I'll get mad

Any advices?

Th
... See more
Dear friends,

I am quite desperate. My clients will only pay per source word... and the source is a PDF file. Only thing we've been able to get from this is an RTF file which nearly eliminates all words with special format (italics, bold...) - thus making the wordcount useless.

Now, I need to know how to count source words in a trustworthy way or else I'll get mad

Any advices?

Thanks

Flavio
Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
FineReader Apr 17, 2004

You can use finereader or other OCR program to scan the document, keep all the format, and give an accurate wordcount.

Edwal

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
PDFCount Apr 17, 2004

PDFCount is a lovely little plug-in for Acrobat.
You can try it out for free for 15 days (http://www.pdfcount.com/trial.html), it might be just what you need now without too much effort.

HtH,
Roberta

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PDFCount... :( Apr 17, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

PDFCount is a lovely little plug-in for Acrobat.
You can try it out for free for 15 days (http://www.pdfcount.com/trial.html), it might be just what you need now without too much effort.

HtH,
Roberta

Hi Roberta,

I tried it, but it says that my PDF has "subset embedded fonts" - and then gives me the same wordcount as the corrupted RTF file.

I am downloading FineReader (trial version), I hope it works... it's a huge program, argh!

Flavio

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:44
German to English
+ ...
Have you asked the client? Apr 17, 2004

Why don't you ask the client if they have a wordcount? They may have the file in another format or be otherwise able to provide a wordcount. How else would THEY know if your source count is accurate, unless they manually count the words?

Just a thought.

Trudy

Ahmed Ismail
Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 18:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
It is the client's job Apr 17, 2004

Mainly, it is the client's job..
They should find a away to do it, unless it is a lazy project manager who wants you to do his job.
You have two options:
If you or the client have Adobe Acrobat 5.0, convert the pdf file to rtf format...and then it is solved.
- You can try Total Assistant..it is a very good tool for the word count..

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Notes Apr 17, 2004

Ahem...

My client is the one who sent me the wordcount AND the RTF file, actually. I have contacted him, of course, but I am looking for a solution while waiting, so we save time.

I am trying Fine Reader right now, I hope I understand how to count words...

Flavio

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Further benefit of FineReading a pdf Apr 17, 2004

Flavio Ferri Benedetti wrote:
I am downloading FineReader (trial version), I hope it works... it's a huge program, argh!

Cheer up! Time well spent!

It might have dawned on you already, but here it is.
Using FineReader you'll have a soft file you can translate using your favorite CAT, therefore making up for the time wasted downloading FineReader. As the Bard goes, Every cloud...

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FineReader worked! Apr 17, 2004

Yahooooo!

With FineReader I have been able to "read" all text blocks in my PDF file, copy and paste them in a Word file and count words! Whew, 9,383 against 8,640! Thank goodness I checked!

Love,
Flavio

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
A great tool Apr 18, 2004

Flavio Ferri Benedetti wrote:

Yahooooo!

With FineReader I have been able to "read" all text blocks in my PDF file, copy and paste them in a Word file and count words! Whew, 9,383 against 8,640! Thank goodness I checked!

Love,
Flavio

Glad to hear that!

Edwal

[Edited at 2004-04-18 02:26]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Finereader is good but... Apr 18, 2004

Attention! sometimes it make mistakes changing things like i to l, so you have to read the document carefully!

Regards
Toledo

Oksana Kornitskaja
Oksana Kornitskaja  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:44
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
PractiCount Apr 19, 2004

quote]Flavio Ferri Benedetti wrote:
I am quite desperate. My clients will only pay per source word... and the source is a PDF file.

---------
What's the problem? Just count it with PractiCount.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting words in a... PDF file?!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »