Adobe Reader select tool issue
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 22:23
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2007

Am having a bit of a problem with this tool in Adobe Reader version 8.1.

On some files that are graphical mainly, i.e., not text PDFs, the toolbar icons suddenly have no accompanying textual legends, such as Hand Tool, Select Tool, and the select tool is basically inoperative, i.e., no cross-hairs occur.

I've checked the properties of the documents and there is no security restrictions apparently, so what could be the problem?

Mtia,
YR

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
!!!! Aug 8, 2007

Yngve Roennike wrote:

Am having a bit of a problem with this tool in Adobe Reader version 8.1.

On some files that are graphical mainly, i.e., not text PDFs, the toolbar icons suddenly have no accompanying textual legends, such as Hand Tool, Select Tool, and the select tool is basically inoperative, i.e., no cross-hairs occur.

I've checked the properties of the documents and there is no security restrictions apparently, so what could be the problem?

Mtia,
YR

I had exactly the same frustration the other day, as I upgraded Acrobat, and was about to post here ....

I have managed to copy and paste. Start, by going to Tools > Select & Zoom, activate the text select or shot option, and clicking does the rest.

I'd like to know how to have these options on the toolbar though.

[Edited at 2007-08-08 11:01]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:23
German to English
+ ...
new UIF Aug 8, 2007

Adobe did a major facelift on the user interface for V8, and it takes a bit of getting used to. The new version also seems to make some 'intelligent' choices about what toolbars to display, depending on the type of document.

You can change the default toolbar configurations; refer to Adobe Reader help.
For example:

Show and hide toolbar elements
You can alter the display within an individual toolbar to keep just the tools you need available with a minimum of
... See more
Adobe did a major facelift on the user interface for V8, and it takes a bit of getting used to. The new version also seems to make some 'intelligent' choices about what toolbars to display, depending on the type of document.

You can change the default toolbar configurations; refer to Adobe Reader help.
For example:

Show and hide toolbar elements
You can alter the display within an individual toolbar to keep just the tools you need available with a minimum of wasted space. You can also show and hide tool labels.

Show or hide individual tools
Reader includes more tools and more toolbars than the set that appears by default. You can customize the toolbars so that the tools you use most often appear in the toolbar area.

Do any of the following:
Right-click/Control-click the toolbar, and select a tool that you want to display or deselect a tool that is already displayed if you want to hide it.

Right-click/Control-click any toolbar and choose More Tools. Then select individual tools and toolbars that you want to display, and deselect those that you want to hide.

Note: A selected tool appears in the toolbar area only if its toolbar is also selected in the More Tools dialog box.
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 22:23
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a display issue, per se Aug 8, 2007

I am probably not explaining clearly enough what the main issue is, it is actually not the display, but the fact that the selection tool seems inactivated, although the icon displays in the toolbar, albeit without the legend: Select Tool, as it does in other documents I open with the same software version 8.1.

Is there something innate in those documents that prevents me from simply copying a graph, an image, etc., not specificaly text, to another app?
The security setting und
... See more
I am probably not explaining clearly enough what the main issue is, it is actually not the display, but the fact that the selection tool seems inactivated, although the icon displays in the toolbar, albeit without the legend: Select Tool, as it does in other documents I open with the same software version 8.1.

Is there something innate in those documents that prevents me from simply copying a graph, an image, etc., not specificaly text, to another app?
The security setting under properties says it is open to doing these things.

YR

Actually, to answer my own question, you have to use the Snapshot Tool rather than the Select Tool on some documents. Perhaps someone could explain to me why, btw.
Appreciate the answers so far.

[Edited at 2007-08-08 17:37]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Reader select tool issue

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »