Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2007

I just downloaded TextSTAT 2.7 (is this the best version?) and can't figure out how to use it. You're supposed to create a "corpus," which I assume is a text, but I can't figure out how to get the text into the program. When I try, all I get is the name of the file and its location.

Can anyone help me?

Amy

irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Ireland
Local time: 09:15
French to English
+ ...
can help you, but I'm also somewhat confused Aug 21, 2007

I have also just installed this program. From my understanding, a corpus is a set of documents that you can group together for collective analysis. So you have to start a corpus document and then import the files. I just started one corpus and use that one, clearing the old ones and replacing them, so that I don't have a huge mess of corpus files.
I have found that it works great with text documents; you add the file you want, and as you say you will see the file name and location. What yo
... See more
I have also just installed this program. From my understanding, a corpus is a set of documents that you can group together for collective analysis. So you have to start a corpus document and then import the files. I just started one corpus and use that one, clearing the old ones and replacing them, so that I don't have a huge mess of corpus files.
I have found that it works great with text documents; you add the file you want, and as you say you will see the file name and location. What you're missing is clicking the "Show word frequencies" tool. It's the box symbol with a blue column down the middle. That should immediately give you a word analysis.

Now MY problem is that this only works for text documents. I have had to go into word and resave the document as TXT (luckily my last few translations have not had headers / tables / textboxes that could have been excluded). When I add a .DOC file to the corpus (whether there is a file there already or not), absolutely nothing happens. It says on the website that Word files are accepted. Any thoughts someone?
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not working for me Aug 21, 2007

Hi, I tried clicking on "show word frequencies" and nothing came up but the letter "q". Then when I went into My Documents and tried to open the file, there was nothing but a bit of code. Very confusing! I hope there's someone out there who knows how to use this thing who can help us out!

Amy

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:15
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Just the basics... Aug 22, 2007

To get started:

1. Select the menu Corpus\New corpus and save the file somewhere.

2. Corpus\Add file and select the text you want to analyze.

3. Press the button "Show word frequencies" - then the text is analyzed.

Then you can select the tab "Word forms" to see all the words in the text and their frequencies or select the "Concordance" tab and type in a given word to see it in various contexts.

While TextSTAT is sufficient
... See more
To get started:

1. Select the menu Corpus\New corpus and save the file somewhere.

2. Corpus\Add file and select the text you want to analyze.

3. Press the button "Show word frequencies" - then the text is analyzed.

Then you can select the tab "Word forms" to see all the words in the text and their frequencies or select the "Concordance" tab and type in a given word to see it in various contexts.

While TextSTAT is sufficient for introductory text analysis, it is lacking some important features which, for me, make it unusable for my professional purposes (i.e. for extraction of most common terms in the text). I much more prefer Extphr32 (http://publish.uwo.ca/~craven/freeware.htm), but I must admit that here the learning curve is somewhat steeper.

Also, Okapi Framework has a similar tool, but you have to get the whole package for it:

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with TextSTAT 2.7

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »